ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag removal

ford focus
Can anyone offer advice about the legalities of track day prepped cars and legally driving on the road.

The clio has had the passenger seat removed
A roll cage fitted
The driver seat replaced with a racing seat and six point harness
the steering wheel replaced with an after market version with no airbag

My question is, is it still legal. When I look at the MOT check it states that if a car has an OEM fitted airbag removed it will fail.

There seems to be some way around this if the car is classified as a 'rally' car.

dan's cast offs.
the main wording is extensively modified, 'rally car' is just used as a generic term.

the fail is 'obviously missing' not 'removed'. sounds daft but that's the way it works on the test. you could also argue there is an airbag fitted, put a sticked on the wheel saying 'airbag' and as long as no light on the dash you can't fail as 'benefit of doubt has to be given to the presenter'. the examiner can't remove the wheel to prove there isn't an airbag there.

ford focus
Thanks for getting back, after looking at many threads there are ways round the warning lights - using software to disable them or using resisters, etc. My worry is insurance being invalid in an accident.

Getting an MSA logbook - is that a thing?

dan's cast offs.
you can put tape over the dash and it can't fail, if the tester can't see the light is on they have to presume it isn't on and pass and advise. no reason why insurance would refuse to pay out in the event of an incident.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
My car with a full cage and no airbags had passed multiple times with no issues. The airbag ECU has been reprogrammed to ensure the light comes on and extinguishes as it should.

Funny to see this thread come up as I actually spoke to an MOT only garage yesterday and he said he didn’t see a problem providing the lights went on and off as expected.