ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alcantara, plastics etc

DCi 100
Had a search around for these, but just want to talk about them with someone in the know really.

Alcantara inserts, people have mentioned brushes? Mainly need to remove cat hair and little bits, something to refresh it up alittle would be reet. Any words of advice?

Been recommended just domestic moisture wipes, parazone etc, for interior plastics instead of the AG101 mentioned alot on here, any input would be appreciated.

Another thing annoying me is the exterior plastics have faded over winter. I'm thinking either spray them satin or use something to make them look wet so to say, all the time. I don't think paint will work too well in the splitter and I don't want paint cracking everywhere. It's for all the bumper inserts, wing mirror units, grille and scuttle panel really. I don't have a clue except baby oil or back to black possibly?

Cheers

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Making them look wet? Could use baby oil on a rag? Good results I've heard!

I'd also be very interested to hear peoples opinions on this though.

v6
Use peanut butter for the exterior stuff (make sure you get smooth!) :) works surprisingly well.

Bumder With A Buffer
Yep use smooth peanut butter or groundnut oil on exterior plastics to clean them up. Then you use a plastic trim restorer on top.

That will bring them back to life. That's where most people go wrong, they use plastic restorer without cleaning hence they look s**t again after a day or so.

DCi 100
Should I use a butter knife with that peanut butter? I'm terrible at buttering bread so the car is going to be a right pain.

Got a product for a restorer Richy? Some autoglym stuff or something?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
WD40 on your black plastic bits , better than any back to black type product , on a cloth and rub it in . Job done !!

Bumder With A Buffer
Il say lol at butter knife!!! Il let u off though as that's jamies old car and I like it :)

Nope use a cloth and put a small amount on it and scrub it into the plastic.

Then use some bumper restorer but try to use a gel type one or one that doesn't require spraying. Il try find a decent one on halfords site for ya.........

DCi 100
Spray = all over the bumper eh?

Micro fibre cloth do? Picked up aload of those cheap small ones from Asda for the glass/wheels etc.

Bumder With A Buffer
Ye microfibre is fine, spray goes f**king everywhere

this is what u want

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_172232_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

same process as the butter trick wipe on and wipe off any excess after a while (u can leave it on without taking it off to give a glossier look if u want)

WD40 can work but that's similar to the stuff above in that u ain't cleaning it before hand and after 1 day it looks s**t again.

I have told my neighbour this but he won't listen...hence he know has light grey plastics on his car /)

DCi 100
Cheers dude!

Might wack WD40 on in the morning while I clean the rest of the glass off. Then grab some of that in the week when I can.

Ok for fog inserts, bumper blips, rear bumper insert, grille etc?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
WD40 lasts alot longer than any other product i've tried , and certainly lasts more than a day .

I wouldn't waste my money ever again on any back to black / restorer type product when all they do is mask any white marks or fading . WD40 is the best i've tried and i've tried hell of alot and wasted money in the process .

Peanut butter or groundnut oil doesn't clean plastics , it merely masks any marks exactly the same way WD40 does . The same way when your hair gets wet it goes darker , thats what any oil based product does , makes it darker , in time , all white marks will reappear unless retreated .

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers dude!

Might wack WD40 on in the morning while I clean the rest of the glass off. Then grab some of that in the week when I can.

Ok for fog inserts, bumper blips, rear bumper insert, grille etc?

Yeah . Ok for all black unpainted plastics .