ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alignment out after hub change

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Had a bad wheel bearing so to save on down time bought a used 60mm cup hub.

Swapped it all over (and used the ball joint still attached to the new hub as it was in better condition) but now when test driving the steering alignment is out.

It drives straight but the wheel centres about 20 degrees off.

Any reason this might be before I get it realigned?

monaco 172
If you used the new ball joint then you will have had to remove the 2 large bolts holding it to the wishbone, if these didn't go back on in exactly the same position as the old one then the allignment is likely to change.

and used the ball joint still attached to the new hub as it was in better condition
I had a off centre wheel when i changed just the ball joint on one side for a aftermarket.
Took it off and replaced with a genuine Renault arm with ball joint and the wheel was straight again.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
If you used the new ball joint then you will have had to remove the 2 large bolts holding it to the wishbone, if these didn't go back on in exactly the same position as the old one then the allignment is likely to change.

Yeah I did do that to be fair!

I had a off centre wheel when i changed just the ball joint on one side for a aftermarket.
Took it off and replaced with a genuine Renault arm with ball joint and the wheel was straight again.

Could explain it, no idea if this one is genuine. Guess I'll just get an alignment as I can't be bothered to change the ball joint back now lol.

monaco 172
Yeah I did do that to be fair!

Could explain it, no idea if this one is genuine. Guess I'll just get an alignment as I can't be bothered to change the ball joint back now lol.

Genuine or not I can't see how you could get it back on perfect without affecting the allignment.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The tracking is always out after a new hub or suspension work, get the toe set again

PH2 172
Had a bad wheel bearing so to save on down time bought a used 60mm cup hub.

Swapped it all over (and used the ball joint still attached to the new hub as it was in better condition) but now when test driving the steering alignment is out.

It drives straight but the wheel centres about 20 degrees off.

Any reason this might be before I get it realigned?

As you have only changed one side, just adjust the inner rod on the side you have changed until it drives with the steering wheel central.

Genuine or not I can't see how you could get it back on perfect without affecting the allignment.
The steering wheel was straight and the car drove how it did before the ball joint change.
This proved that the aftermarket ball joint was not the correct size compared to the original.
Just replaced a clutch on the 182 and removed both bottom ball joints from the arms sub fame etc put it back together steering wheel straight drives as it did before.

monaco 172
The steering wheel was straight and the car drove how it did before the ball joint change.
This proved that the aftermarket ball joint was not the correct size compared to the original.
Just replaced a clutch on the 182 and removed both bottom ball joints from the arms sub fame etc put it back together steering wheel straight drives as it did before.

Maybe so but I bet if you put it on a hunter allignment system before and after you would get different results.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers all - had it hunter aligned this morning so all good. Tie rods were nice and seized so take a while to free. Definitely on the list of things to change soon.