ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alignment settings for track! Any help please

Clio 172
I'm only using my car on track now an have adjustable camber bolts and strut bodies. Ideally I'm guessing toe out 1degree is ok but how much camber should I run on the front, any help will be very much appreciated

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It varies based on a lot of other factors (wheel offset effecting scrub radius etc) and based on your drive style.

But personally I like 3-4 degrees of camber and parellel or tiny bit of toe out.

Lotus Elise
It varies based on a lot of other factors (wheel offset effecting scrub radius etc) and based on your drive style.

But personally I like 3-4 degrees of camber and parellel or tiny bit of toe out.

As a full on track car then 3-4 is more like it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Or just too fed up of the same question getting asked again and again and didnt bother reading it properly? lol

Ph2 Clio 172
Maybe you guys could construct a geometry guide/list of recommendations that could be put as a sticky?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A laser is no good chap as surface temps change so fast plus your laser thermometer isn't specifically calibrated for the materials surface type.

You really need something like Tony has which is a probe based pyrometer to do it right.

Clio 172
Ahh ok then. Do you get really good benefits from having one? As I'm wondering if making my driving skills better would benefit more than that? Or if they don't cost the earth buy one anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Work on your driving a bit first, without consistency in driving no test results will be valid.

Really tyre temps need to be monitored in real time not after you pull in, but its very expensive to do so.

p.s

TBH if its a trackday car, just how much the tyres wear the inner versus outer edge will probably be enough to tell you if you need more camber!

Last edited:
  Clio 172
I'm doing my ards test next month, I have done quite a few trackdays and had a bit of tuition but obviously I'm very much a novice so I think tyre wear is prob as accurate as I need at the moment until I myself get faster. I've had the car corner weighted and it is being set up today with 3 degrees front camber, I've got 1 degree rear and half a degree toe out. So thanks for all your info and il see how I get on at the next trackday

Clio 172
No I haven't they are standard ph2 front arms. I did ask Renault about the cup front arms but they said the part number so I left them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Madness not using the increased caster ones TBH mate when its for a trackday car.

Adam at renault parts wolverhampton knows all the correct numbers.

What year is your car, the last of the ph2 172 often have the right arms anyway.

Clio 172
Yeah that's why I asked Renault a long time ago because I wanted them but when they said they're the same I left them. Il have to get in contact with him then because there's no point having the car set up if I need to change them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah that's why I asked Renault a long time ago because I wanted them but when they said they're the same I left them. Il have to get in contact with him then because there's no point having the car set up if I need to change them.

Exactly mate, would be silly to set it up with less caster.

The other option is you could modify the arms for even more than the cup has, I did so with quite a lot of success but I came to have issues with scrubbing, but if its a pure trackday car you would probably be more prepared to cut metal out than I was on a road car.

Clio 172
Ok. Is that a matter of moving the ball joint further forward in the arm then? Yeah I don't mind having to make some stuff up if need be, do you have to elongate the furthest hole out to allow the ball joint to move further forward or have I totally missed the mark?

Clio 172
Ok had a quick search and I'm going to elongate the front hole 5mm maybe? Does that sound enough to make enough of a difference?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There was a hidden link in my message mate, just roll over and there is a link to the thread all about it.

Clio 172
Got it now. From what I get move it as far forward as poss. Il get on that tonight. Cheers for your help mate

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No problem at all mate.

If you do it the amount I did in that thread, you might have to cut some clearance out of the front bodywork, but like I said if its for a trackday car that shouldnt be an issue.

182cup & 172 racecar
You can also alter you driving to the temps recorded.

But it will give you a good idea, by seeing the heat spread over the surface of the tyre.

​But yes, work on your driving first, but that wasn't asked in the op.

Clio 172
If I could guarantee it would do the day and get me back I would lve too. I've spent a lot of time getting it ready the past four months and I've still got a heap of stuff to do. Plumb in the fire extinguisher, get my roll cage and fit it a seat the list goes on but I am slowly getting there. Maybe I should put a project thread up but a lot of the work has been done already. Thanks anyway and I will be out at a renault day sooner or later.

Clio 172
You know There is always more that you come across though mate my target is December. Although its a track car I like to do it nicely so it's done properly rather than throwing it together