ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All new suspension components, clonking!

Clio 172 Cup
Hi All....

I recently replaced my lower suspension arms, top mounts and added poly bushes to the roll-bar. After fitting, I was getting a horrible clonking noise from the passenger side which was only really noticeable at low speed and on uneven surfaces. Despite double checking everything was tight, I could find no cause for the noise.
After some investigation I read about the Clio top mount issue, assuming this could be the problem I eventually fitted solid top mounts, they have made the situation better but I'm convinced there's still an issue somewhere because it still doesn't sound right.
​I expected the ride to be a bit firmer but I'd hoped the noises I was experiencing would be completely eliminated.
I'm now wondering if the poly roll-bar bushes are playing a part in all this, I just don't know what else it could be...?

Cheers,
Steve

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Did you replace the lower ball joints also? I had to do both of mine as they were shot and causing horrible rattle like noises when driving over cobbles.

Clio 172 Cup
The new suspension arms came fitted with new ball-joints, so no issues there...
​I can't recommend replacing the lower arms enough, makes the car feel like new again. Over a long period you don't tend to notice how the suspension can become sloppy and tired, it's so much tighter. Just a little annoying with the noise.