ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension creak - anyone had similar?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

Just asking for thoughts/suggestions as to what an annoying, repetitive noise might be?

It comes from the OSF wheel area - more lower down I'd say. I did have both top mounts and damper covers replaced with OEM items - but the noise occurred before they were fitted, so clearly that didn't fix the issue. Funnily enough, my wife took the 182 to work this morning and she confirmed that its definitely louder from the driver's seat.

More frustrating is the fact that on fairly lumpy and uneven roads - its a lot quieter. It's the small undulations that make it sound like a trapped duck that is audible within the car itself. I have to mount a very small kerb lip to get onto our drive - less than an inch high and it makes this noise every single time I drive forward. Thinking about it - I should have recorded it and added it to the post, which I'll try to do tonight.

I'm thinking that a bush somewhere has failed or is in the process of doing so. The car feels absolutely fine to drive, with no other obvious symptoms from the noise made. Tried rocking the engine whilst it was stationary and heard no noises at all from the engine mounts either - hence why I'm pretty sure its suspension related.

Any thoughts on what it potentially could be would be most welcome! :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Cheers guys - relatively easy to swap out, I take it?

I'll still get the video up later for you to listen too - a Tuesday night treat, lol.

Yeah if you're used to spannering on these, fairly simple.

New wishbones are NLA from Renault now I believe, so you'll need to polybush yours or find a decent pair.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Spray up the inner anti roll bar bushes first before you do the arms just to confirm its not them since its an easy job to rule them out, had it quite a bit from them before.

Monaco blue 172
Spray up the inner anti roll bar bushes first before you do the arms just to confirm its not them since its an easy job to rule them out, had it quite a bit from them before.

Mine is suddenly doing this also, only on the OSF. Suspension and top mounts are sound, so will be giving this a try 👌🏼

Mine was making those exact noises. I had changed the rollbar bushes a while ago, but made no difference.
It was coming from the wishbone bushes. The rubber had come unglued from the metal shell. The whole wishbone had moved forward slightly.
20220421_111641.jpg
Came out pretty easy with a ball joint press and the right sized socket.
Replaced them with powerflex poly bushes.

Monaco blue 172
Mine was making those exact noises. I had changed the rollbar bushes a while ago, but made no difference.
It was coming from the wishbone bushes. The rubber had come unglued from the metal shell. The whole wishbone had moved forward slightly.
View attachment 1596054Came out pretty easy with a ball joint press and the right sized socket.
Replaced them with powerflex poly bushes.

would a set of these be ok to replace or am I looking for the wrong thing? Thanks

Attachments

• 127781D9-4DD8-4EE9-B7D0-7046D1F973EB.png
    127781D9-4DD8-4EE9-B7D0-7046D1F973EB.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 44