ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy refurb

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
What is the order to sand down the wheels?

Start at 180?

Also

Just over a year ago, i bought a spoiler of a member here.

It is black and i do not know the color code for it.

I want to refurb my alloys and color match them.

How many different blacks are there?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not many, and for the love of god DO NOT start at 180.

It's either pearl black or black gold I believe. I bet if you PM Struggler he'll remember.

Are the wheels badly damaged/kerbed?

If not, start at 800.

Any bits that are messed up, work down from 800, so try 600, try 400, try 200... until you find one that takes the mark out. Don't just jump straight in with a coarse grade or you'll have to work back up...

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
I tried PM him but for some reason my PMing do not work.

There is some damage and kerbing on the wheels.

I should get pictures at some point.

Black 182 FF
Rather than start my own thread: I have an alloy that had a terrible paint job by a company who repaired the rear quarter on my car. They offered to paint it so I could use it as a spare as I was provided with a new wheel as part of the repair (long long story).

They painted it what I can only imagine is a Vauxhall blue/grey (they do a lot of work for a local Vauxhall dealer and it looks the same colour as my girlfriends sisters Corsa) and it doesn't look like they've filled one or two of the marks that was on it before painting and the paint is quite thick in most areas, but barely covers some.

What grade should I start off with on this? Is it a case of working down like as above with something that takes the crap paint off first?

Black 182 FF
The new paint needs more than scotching off though, its quite hideous. I'd imagine it'll need a bit of a sand at least.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I wouldnt you'l create more work for yourself, if you can feel the damage still sand it out and prime the area, If not scotch it off and paint over the top

He said it's quite thick in areas, without stripping the paint off you'll end up losing definition on the wheels.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
My problem is that they are fake split rims.

How do i deal with it? Do i remove the fake torx bolts before i powder coat them? cover them?

What is the best sollution? Should i assume they bolts are glued there as well?

These are the ones in question

18032010100bxm16rv7.jpg