ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloys and insurance

Low 'n' Slow
Bought some clio sport alloys 16" for my 1.2, to replace the standard 15", but when i rang my insurance company to tell them they said they wouldnt insure me with non standard alloys

i'm 23 with 4 years no claims, my insurance aint up till august

i didnt think there would be a problem with them being renault alloys

what should i do?

MINI JCW
it seems very strage they wont insure you, I would have thought they would have jumped at the chance to get some extra money off you

Who you with?
I would explain that they are Renault alloys and could have been fitted from new as a optional extra.
Admiral were more than happy to rob another £50 off me for mine.

Low 'n' Slow
thats what i was thinking

when i rang up and said i wanted to change my current alloys for the new ones, they said we dont have record of you having alloys.... they are standard alloys i said, then she said something about its coming up as refer and off she popped to see someone, came back and said we wont insure you with non standard alloys :S

Low 'n' Slow
Who you with?
I would explain that they are Renault alloys and could have been fitted from new as a optional extra.
Admiral were more than happy to rob another £50 off me for mine.

with virgin i said they are renault alloys, but i did not say they could have been fitted from new as an optional extra

Clio 16v mk1
Thats bullship, change your insurer, prob find it cheeper wit someone else anyway, try using moneysupermarket for best quote

You can buy any of the RS alloys off a Renault stealer if you pay enough, so arguably they could have been fitted as an optional extra from new as they are not 'aftermarket'. It doesn't matter that you bought them second hand.
With my insurance policy I had the choice of declaring alloys
1. option extra (cheaper)
2. aftermarket wheels

I opted for the late, but mine are Team Dynamics.

Low 'n' Slow
i might ring back and say they could have been optional extra from standard

as i've had a look for other insurance companies and cant get it any cheaper

Last edited:
  RS Clio 200
they probably dont allow mods until ure 25 mate... is the case with most of the bigger name places now.