ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloys effecting handling etc

What effect would 17 inch wheels have on performance and handling of a 1.4 16v? obviously steering would be a bit heavier, but anything else?

Billabong Clio DCI 80

They will wreck the handling as i have 17s on at the mo, but will go back to my dynamique 15s when the tyres wears off.

btw, im new here. hi all

have a fair decrease in acceleration in my opinion... obviously a much harder ride. depends on the type of wheels you go for, the weight varies a lot, but thats not what causes the car to accelerate slower, its the physics of it (especially seen as a 1.4 is a relatively small engine). Get 16s, optimum compromise

Other than style, pay attention to weight as well.
Get forged wheel if you have big budget. Also I will go for bigger brand such as OZ, BBS, Prodrive, Rays Engineering...

Some 17" wheel can be lighter than 16" wheel.

Lots of Alfas

Quote: Originally posted by hkka on 01 August 2005

Other than style, pay attention to weight as well.
Get forged wheel if you have big budget. Also I will go for bigger brand such as OZ, BBS, Prodrive, Rays Engineering...

Some 17" wheel can be lighter than 16" wheel.
Pay attention to this, some cheap 17"s can be really heavy, in fact my old 15s were heavier than my 16" Turinis. Look out of the good makes.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Affecting.. not effecting.. ;)

Weight would be my first concern, my 16" Super Ls are 5KG per wheel lighter than my standard 172 rims, makes a big difference.

You may experience heavy tramlining aswell as reduced acceleration.

PS. Subtle Mike, very subtle