ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alpine 9857 or 9855?

RS Clio 182
Okay folks, i'm planning on buying a new Alpine HU since my current Alpine one has begun to cause me problems. I've been looking at both the 9857 and 9855 units but am puzzled by the spec on both. The 9855 appears the more modern unit however the 9857 is the newer in the range and also has 4x60w output compared with 4x50w. Which is better in your opinion?

Also are Alpine about to bring out any new models as the guy I spoke to in Halfrauds said they were? Opinions please??

Polo + Micra
although the 9857 has a smaller screen

i'd pick that one as you get buttons instead of that glide touch

and i think the 9857 is from the 2006 range

why couldn't they put the "4x60w" amp in the DVA-9861Ri:dapprove:

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
Nope its the one with the bigger face that folds out from the unit. Still sel them now but there a fair bit more cash.

And i dont get why every one hates the glidetouch i find it so easy to use when im not looking at it etc.

Polo + Micra
ahhh i know the one

yeah i've never got (or had ago at)the glide touch but heard it was a bit of a gimmick

i have a 9853r and in opinion is better than the 9855r which has a horrible white lcd didplay instead of the nice blue disply on mine, and its cheaper. My friend has the 9855 and i dont like it tbh. Have a search on the 9853, good unit

Monaro VXR
See I like the biolight screen over the blue one. Plus the higher voltage preouts etc should give a clearer signal to amps resulting in a better sound. Not just the display your paying extra for.

Lee

BMW M2C
wozzaa said:
Nope its the one with the bigger face that folds out from the unit. Still sel them now but there a fair bit more cash.

And i dont get why every one hates the glidetouch i find it so easy to use when im not looking at it etc.

With the state of British roads, and the ride of the Trophy it's not easy to keep your finger on the strip. I really wish I'd not been taken in by such a pointless gadget. lol

Monaro VXR
I just wish they would get a steering wheel control out for my car. Cant even get an ISO adaptor for mine yet. Had to make one.

Lee

BMW M2C
I noticed incartec now do the correct adaptor for the Renault CAN bus setup so as soon as Caraudio direct have them in stock I'll get one on order.

I'm terrible for swapping stations!

RS Clio 182
Okay so I'm still swayed by either. It appear that the only major differences other than glide touch are amp power, the 9855 has 4x50w and the 9857 4x 60w, and the 9855 has media expander (mx) whereas the 9857 doesn't. Does anyone rate the media expander function? Bearing in mind my front speakers are powered by an external amp and the rears by the HU.

BMW M135i
I've got the 9855R, love it, never had any problems with it and the features are plenty enough for me.
Screen is great and I can use the glidetouch no problems, just took some getting used to and it works great.

The bigger screen of the 55R makes it no compo for me but it depends if you whether you don't mind glidetouch or want buttons.

Polo + Micra
the mx function is real dire and should not be used

if you are going to be running your fronts off an amp the the internal amp power is irrelivant

i'd still pick the 9857 though

Monaro VXR
MX function stays off on mine and defeat should be turned off as well. Just set the crossover and time correction up though and the sound is massively improved.

I still prefer the 55r myself until they do one thats DVD compatible with the white biolight screen i wont be changing as i cant justify spending the amount the DVA9965r is. Would rather buy a screen headunit if i was spending that kind of cash.