ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alpine 9886 / 9887 Head-Units

Mini JCW

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Awesome HU's mate!

I am currently rocking this one:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-cda-9857r-cd-mp3-wma-player-ipod-ready_p-23446.htm

And before i had my self an alpine 9880R.

As a general rule, you get what you pay for. If you buy the deerer one it is going to have more features/better sound quality if you upgrade your speakers aswell. I found that jsut changing the HU made the std speakers sound 100 times better though.

If you aren't a hard core audio nut i would opt for the cheaper one. It is going to do what you want it to do and more.

Mini JCW
Cheers for the prompt replies :)

I'm not going for a massive 'install' or anything in the car, just wanted a tidy HU with decent SQ, will have to try these headunits out then

Whilst on topic, when upgrading the front speakers - is it possible to upgrade the midbass and tweeters? Easy job?

Cheers

Anthony

Mini JCW
After a bit more research, it seems that neither the '86 nor the '87 have a motorised face, seems a bit of an omission for the price bracket imo:S

Should I consider the Pioneer equivelants?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
pioneer = pish. Why do you need a motorised face anyway? 1) more to go wrong and 2) there s**t unless you have one of those 7" tv screen things.

BMW M135i
After a bit more research, it seems that neither the '86 nor the '87 have a motorised face, seems a bit of an omission for the price bracket imo:S

None of the alpine range have swingface anymore due to reliability issue apparently although my 9855R worked perfectly for 2.5 years.

I've had a 9887R and my mums got a 9886R both very good headunits, basic differences between the two are the 60w amp in the 7 and its got Bass Engine Pro/Imprint build in instead of needing the seperate processor.

I've since got rid of mine for a X305 due to the far far far superior ipod intergration, added the H100 processor and the 400BT bluetooth module its a brilliant combo if a little expensive.

Mini JCW
Managed to secure a 2nd hand 9887r unit in very good condition for £190, all being well i'll be collecting it on tuesday :)

Listerine & Poledo
If you want to get the stereo remote display working, phone up an Alpine rep and they can order the right lead, there's 2 different leads, they'll display some info and have the stalk-controls covered too.

I've got a 9884, the iPod lead and that cable. can't fault it.

I've wondered about improving the front speakers, but is under the impression that it's only worth doing with another amp?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i have an apline headunit with built in parrot kit, i wouldnt have anything but alpine, sound quality is second to none.