ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

already have a sub but now want 6x9's

renault clio 1.4 16v
good afternoon gents!

i have had my sub for about a year now and my friend has given me 6x9s

my amp is a 4 channel amp and im confused how to wire up the 6x9s to the amp as i dont want them pushing out bass like the sub but putting out high frequency like the normal speakers my amp allows this but need another rca lead from the headunit but no space for this any help would be amazing

sorry if none of this makes sence :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless you're some sort of anal audio guru, 6x9's are bloody brilliant value for money. Decent front speakers and decent 6x9's running off the headunit and a good quality sub and amp combo is loud/good enough for anyone providing you've got a decent headunit. (Unless driving up and down the high street making windows shake is your thing)

WRX
Exactly Daniel, just bought some Fusions for £40 and I don't care what anybody says they are excellent for the price. Added a nice bit of punch and my speakers used to distort at vol 30, now I can go right up to 45. Didn't really want a sub in the boot so just went for these and they do exactly what I want.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd have them in a clio no issue. I'd rather have them than a sub taking up room.

Polo + Micra
sealed sub? if so i'd highly recommend you don't fit 6x9s as there is going to be a good chance of you breaking them

and it's not being an anal audio guru, you wouldn't go to see a band and stand with your back to them unless your a full bore numpty

I wouldn't bother with 6x9's, just look messy. Plus you have space for 13cm's in the rear quarters which have quite a bit of space behind them for air movement (deeper sound). Anyway since you have them now it's too late to hear that.

Link me to your amp. If it's bridgeable you will be able to have the sub bridged on channel 1+2 and the 6x9's on 3+4. If it's not you can only have the sub on channel 1 and the 6x9's on 3+4. This means the sub will only have half the power

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Unless you're some sort of anal audio guru, 6x9's are bloody brilliant value for money. Decent front speakers and decent 6x9's running off the headunit and a good quality sub and amp combo is loud/good enough for anyone providing you've got a decent headunit. (Unless driving up and down the high street making windows shake is your thing)

if you have a sub, 6x9s are pointless. You're trying to do the job of a sub, mids, and tweaters with one speaker, but you already have the other speakers too. Decent fronts, and a sub will always sound better. Add in 6x9s and you'll make the quality worse. Its not anal, it's logic. You wouldn't use an adjustable spanner, when you have the right size sat in the toolbox next to it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
and it's not being an anal audio guru, you wouldn't go to see a band and stand with your back to them unless your a full bore numpty

But if I've gone to 'see' a band, then I'd need to be facing them. If I'm listening to the radio, then it doesn't matter which way I'm facing.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
if you have a sub, 6x9s are pointless. You're trying to do the job of a sub, mids, and tweaters with one speaker, but you already have the other speakers too. Decent fronts, and a sub will always sound better. Add in 6x9s and you'll make the quality worse. Its not anal, it's logic. You wouldn't use an adjustable spanner, when you have the right size sat in the toolbox next to it.

Then we have a different opinion.

My mates little brothers polo was rigged up with components up front running off a small amp, and a 12 inch amped vibe sub. It sounded ok, but he wanted more welly. Went and bought some massive vibe 6x9s and runs them off the same small amp for the components and the sound is completely different. So much better.

I appreciate that sound staging etc has been massively effected, but for a 17 year old that wants volume and thump, it's a brilliant addition.

But then I suppose the three of us that fitted it all are wrong. As we haven't used 'logic'.

renault clio 1.4 16v
seems like i have caused a few aguments HAHA calm down girls!! anyway thanks all dont know if i can be arsed with it all tbh i wired up the 6x9s and there crap my mate told me that they were years old

Renault clio 2005
If You have the 6/9`s fit them and run them of the head unit. In My personal opinion I would sell them and put the money towards some nice front component speakers. The standard clio font speakers are pretty decent in standard form But some decent upgraded front`s would make a huge difference. You could fit the 6/9`s steath style on a nice mdf parcel shelf and that will improve the sound alot.