ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator issues

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Hi guys,
I'm running 172 cup alternator setup. The car died on me suddenly lost all power and drained the battery (Odysey pc680 in the boot).
Changed the alternator for brand new valeo from RPD
Voltage output is very high using Odysey pc680 ranging from 15v-19v on tickover
Used the original battery and I did get better results but still high at 14-17v.
Where does the voltage regulator come from? Ecu?
Hope someone can shed some light or educate me
Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Surely a brand new alternator can't be at fault especially a good cameo one from Renault parts

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Multimeter, back of the Alternator off the live and earth by bolt on engine mount.
Also checked voltage off battery 12.7v

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Clio ph2 1.6 16V Sp
Too many alternator threads without an ending!! Mine still not charging. Alternator is OK. The module on the back is only a rectifier? O have the same question, where is the voltage regulator? There is a single small (control?) wire that plugs into side of alternator. In addition, my battery warning light does not illuminate when turn on ignition. 2002 Clio 1.6 16V.

182 clio
Too many alternator threads without an ending!! Mine still not charging. Alternator is OK. The module on the back is only a rectifier? O have the same question, where is the voltage regulator? There is a single small (control?) wire that plugs into side of alternator. In addition, my battery warning light does not illuminate when turn on ignition. 2002 Clio 1.6 16V.
The small wire is called exiter wire on alternator.
If that's not making a connection there will be no Batt light on your dashboard.

Clio ph2 1.6 16V Sp
Thanks William. If I disconnect that small wire, I measure 11.5V, and the battery has a healthy 12.5V. My question is where is the brains behind all of this?.
The light on the dash is an LED on a PCB. I doubt that has failed. So if the exciter wire is disconnected the alternator doesn't charge. When it is connected, it is not getting the correct 'excitement' to start charging. But if you have a flat battery and bump start the car, the alternator will set to work straight away, with what voltage level on the exciter? Is there not a simple circuit diagram somewhere dedicated to the charging arrangments?

182 clio
Thanks William. If I disconnect that small wire, I measure 11.5V, and the battery has a healthy 12.5V. My question is where is the brains behind all of this?.
The light on the dash is an LED on a PCB. I doubt that has failed. So if the exciter wire is disconnected the alternator doesn't charge. When it is connected, it is not getting the correct 'excitement' to start charging. But if you have a flat battery and bump start the car, the alternator will set to work straight away, with what voltage level on the exciter? Is there not a simple circuit diagram somewhere dedicated to the charging arrangments?
I was looking for something similar on my 182 when trying to diagnose my draw issue but no luck.
I was convinced it was not my alt as it was not long replaced and low n behold it was. I had no Batt light etc.. Was charging though just flat the next day.
Have you tried putting a pin in your exiter wire plug and running a wire to the connection on the alt then checking Batt light on dash?
I'm sure the diods and regulator in the alt are the only things that control charge per say. But they do require correct voltage from exiter wire to operate effective.
If memory serves me correct my exiter wire was a lower voltage even after fix.