ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stop and battery light 182

Clio 182
I know this has been done before but I can't seem to find anything that can solve my issue.
Basically my alternator packed in a couple months ago as they always do and i never replaced it as i was just using the car to get to and from work so just charged it every night for a few weeks till I could get a new one. I never disconnected the battery which makes me think i have damaged something. I've now replaced the alternator with a brand new one and i am getting the correct output voltages at both the battery and the alternator but for some reason the stop and battery light issue still persists.
any help would be appreciated.

Clio 182
Also i forgot to mention that the speedo stops working and the fuel gauge goes all weird. after around 10mins of driving if i switch the car off and on then the stop and battery light often stay off until i come to drive the car again the next morning.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I'd say it has to be an earth fault somewhere.

Have you taken the battery out and checked the earth wire? Might need a clean up.

What voltage are you getting with the engine running?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Also i forgot to mention that the speedo stops working and the fuel gauge goes all weird. after around 10mins of driving if i switch the car off and on then the stop and battery light often stay off until i come to drive the car again the next morning.

My dials stopped working just before my alternator packed in. I think they are linked to the thin wire connected to the alternator. Is that properly connected?

Clio 182
My dials stopped working just before my alternator packed in. I think they are linked to the thin wire connected to the alternator. Is that properly connected?
I did notice the clip was broken on it but it seems as though its properly in place. Could be that though will possibly try changing it.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Might wiggle loose after driving for a while, altough I'm not sure what other exact functions that wire has except power the dials.

Might have to do with the charging logic of the alternator (does a Clio have something sophisticated like that?) which might cause the stop and battery light.