ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problems

RB Clio 182
Hi,
I have the stop and battery light lit on my 182. I have done voltage drop tests and it's all within spec. The battery reads as below when off and lowers to 12v with engine running and lowers to 11ish volts when revving to 2000rpm

2288422d5fe0c66dffcd58d9b3467cf5.jpg

I did continuity tests, I have a beep showing no breaks on the negative side but no beep on the positive side. Is there an in-line fuse on the line between the alternator positive and the battery positive?

I know it's probably a coincidence but this problem started after removing a sub with built in amp from the boot (was huge and heavy and just didn't want it.) I have left the wires in place for now just taped up the ends to avoid any contact.

The wiring looks like it's been messed with before

82c98d938a9c10378a4bf966a78a7880.jpg

88856150a71117bc2f736757bc41f1ca.jpg

I'm guessing I can test the wire being the issue by bridging another wire for now, what gauge wire should I use? Or am I on completely the wrong track here?

c934067416977a7626d49d5aab484353.jpg

11e183602bafc532e288dd1f11b8ef8a.jpg

The belt also looks like it has a chunk taken out the side of it. Am I right in assuming this needs replacing? It's a bit of a b**ch to get to but the belt tension seems ok.

Any help appreciated

Using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'd say that the alternator is dead, what voltage is coming out of the alternator directly?

Also don't drive it when the aux belt looking like that, if it snaps its likely to wrap round the crank, goodbye engine!

RB Clio 182
The voltage drops when the revs are up. No difference in voltage when the engine starts so alternator is not charging at all. I assumed as there's no continuity on the wire from alternator to the positive post it's a break in the wire?

I will get a belt to be changed, it's not being driven with no charge going to battery atm anyway but I'm guessing the belt is a b**ch to change as it's in such a small gap.

I was unsure on how to test the voltage at the alternator so just did the voltage drop tests and continuity checks.

Thanks

Using Tapatalk

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, the battery should be reading around 14v or a bit more when the engine is running. I had this issue last month, 30 pound later and a second hand alternator and it's now showing 14v. I would change that belt asap too. Very very easy to replace.

All you need is a 70-90mm jubilee clip around the tensioner, tension the tensioner and you can change the belt over in around 10 mins easily.

RB Clio 182
Yeah the ring connector is connected fine nice and tight, but no continuity from the ring end of the wire at alternator and the end of the wire at the positive battery terminal which is what makes me think it's a break in the wire rather than duff alternator (at the moment) unless there is an in-line fuse?

And I will deffo change the belt as it looks a bit eaten on the edges.

I struggle in spaces where I cannot get a breaker bar in with my ponsy female muscles :(

Using Tapatalk

Renault Clio 2003
If I remember correctly, there should be a fuse. And even if u can measure no continuity, when the car is running can you get a voltage reading from the alternator positive pin versus the car body (ground). To see if the alternator is putting out anything. Just to eliminate any possible error done during the continuity check... ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the ring connector is connected fine nice and tight, but no continuity from the ring end of the wire at alternator and the end of the wire at the positive battery terminal which is what makes me think it's a break in the wire rather than duff alternator (at the moment) unless there is an in-line fuse?

And I will deffo change the belt as it looks a bit eaten on the edges.

I struggle in spaces where I cannot get a breaker bar in with my ponsy female muscles 😧

Using Tapatalk

That's done it. A proverbial cavalry of CS blokes wanting to help out will now be on their way..... ;)

The alternator is never a straight-forward fix. Luckily I had mine replaced while the cambelt was being done and the front bumper was off anyway.

RB Clio 182
I had no idea that the dials should look any different? I quite like the white dials.

I have just tested the alternator output and it's only giving out .34 of an amp so looks like the alternator is shot. I am looking at getting it refurbed as new alternators are expensive.

The service book shows it had cam belt done 4k miles ago but I would have thought they would have done the aux belt at the same time as I'm guessing it must have looked bad 4k miles ago too. Thinking may as well just get the cambelt changed and do the alternator, belt and tensioner kit done at the same time to be safe. There is no noise from the engine so guessing I don't need the dephaser belt changing or is this something that's best to get changed while I am at it?

I know it's going to cost a pretty penny either way :(

Using Tapatalk

dan's cast offs.
Hard to say from the blurry pic but lack of sagem in the middle and what looks to be Lockwood on the left I'd say...

Hi,
I have the stop and battery light lit on my 182. I have done voltage drop tests and it's all within spec. The battery reads as below when off and lowers to 12v with engine running and lowers to 11ish volts when revving to 2000rpm

I did continuity tests, I have a beep showing no breaks on the negative side but no beep on the positive side. Is there an in-line fuse on the line between the alternator positive and the battery positive?

I know it's probably a coincidence but this problem started after removing a sub with built in amp from the boot (was huge and heavy and just didn't want it.) I have left the wires in place for now just taped up the ends to avoid any contact.

I'm guessing I can test the wire being the issue by bridging another wire for now, what gauge wire should I use? Or am I on completely the wrong track here?

The belt also looks like it has a chunk taken out the side of it. Am I right in assuming this needs replacing? It's a bit of a b**ch to get to but the belt tension seems ok.

Any help appreciated

Using Tapatalk
The reason the aux belt has started to split is its 1 rib off on the pulleys so the edge cuts into the belt.
That will be down
Hi,

Any help appreciated

Using Tapatalk
The reason the aux belt has split is that its 1 rib off on the pulleys.
The lip will cut into the belt,its caused buy the wancer who last fitted it.
Should look like mine.

Attachments

• P1020971.JPG
    P1020971.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 161
  • P1020970.JPG
    P1020970.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 165
  RB Clio 182
Cam belt was last done 23/11/15 by bear garage Ltd in Evesham. It just says cambelt and full service was done.

There is also another service done at 48k in 09 by Renault Ware garage that says timing belt major service. There are 2 other stamps after that before thr most recent but no details really what was done.

Can upload a better picture of the dials when I am at my pc if you like.

Using Tapatalk

Renault Clio 2003
I have just tested the alternator output and it's only giving out .34 of an amp so looks like the alternator is shot. I am looking at getting it refurbed as new alternators are expensive.
Exactly how did you measure the current output? The alternator current output increases when more devices are turned on/connected to the alternator. If you connect a multimeter between the alternator output and ground in CURRENT MEASURING MODE, you most likely will burn the multimeter. You should have measured the voltage, not the current, as the current tells NOTHING about the alternator working or not in case the positive wire from the alternator is truly broken...

RB Clio 182
Sorry I meant volts not amps. I had the multimeter on up to 20v and measured the positive output on the alternator and a ground from engine casing. This was with no load on the alternator though just the engine running.

Using Tapatalk

Cam belt was last done 23/11/15 by bear garage Ltd in Evesham. It just says cambelt and full service was done.

There is also another service done at 48k in 09 by Renault Ware garage that says timing belt major service. There are 2 other stamps after that before thr most recent but no details really what was done.

Can upload a better picture of the dials when I am at my pc if you like.

Using Tapatalk
They would of had to removed the aux belt to replace the Cam belt so probably bear garage unless someones been in there since.