ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator Live Wire Snapped

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Driving back from Manchester tonight and suddenly the radio goes off, followed by speedo, followed by speedo lights, then headlights (in the dark lol). Dashboard was like a Christmas tree. Managed to limp it back to home.

I was annoyed because it was the exact same problem and symptoms I had when my alternator was knackered, which was replaced exactly a month ago. So I was baffled how the alternator would fail in such a short time.

Alas, I have a look when home and go to check the live wire and it has just snapped/sheered from where it connects to the alternator. There's my problem.

So, has this happened to anybody before? Easy/hard fix? Can I mend it temporarily? Can I even fix it myself?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Just looked more into it, it would seem I just need a new ring connector crimped onto the old wire, 'should' be fairly simple. We'll see.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It is straightforward really. As long as you clean up the broken end before connecting a new terminal it'll all be fine, might be worth taking 1/2 inch off the cable if you've got enough just to make sure there's no corrosion left in the exposed wire

Clio 182
They are prone to snapping off. I've swapped around 5 now for myself and friends.
Cut the old bit off and recrimp a new ring back on.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully the new alternator is ok as they don't like running open circuit, when you have fitted the ring crimp and got it started check you're still getting around 13.8-14.3 volts with the engine running

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys. Going to go and get a connector and give it a go.

Does the old wire need stripping before the new one is crimped on?

Hopefully the new alternator is ok as they don't like running open circuit, when you have fitted the ring crimp and got it started check you're still getting around 13.8-14.3 volts with the engine running
It only ran for around 20 miles to get home. Alternator is only a month old too so hopefully should be okay.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
You will need to remove the outer coating off the wire yes, and need to make sure the wire isn't corroded (nice shiny copper rather than dull and green) so that it will have a good connection inside the terminal, electricity doesn't like to have 'work' to get from A to B

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Exactly the same thing happened to me on mine.
Had a new terminal put on the cable
Been sound since