ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator tests

Paulstewart20

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio sport cup 172
Hi, Tried searching for alternator posts but nothing came up close to what I want to know. What volts should the alternator be kicking into the battery Im currently getting 12.20 when on tick over its also a brand new battery and when blower and lights are on it drops to 11.70 volts, watched a couple of you tube clips and they say power should be 12.6 when ignition is off and 13-14 volts when engine is running is this right or are clios diffrent.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
14.5 mine is.

Sounds like it's dead, but test it on the live of the alternator and earth to the body of it or something metal.

Paulstewart20

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio sport cup 172
Is it possible the tensioner is not applying enough strain? it is spinning the alternator but maybe its slipping slightly I might mark it with a pen and see if they line up again after a run.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Possibly, although you'd tend to hear it slipping.

Not sure that marking it would work as for every full revolution the belt does, the alternator pulley would do x amount of turns. Meanwhile the marks would only line up once every certain revolution.

Paulstewart20

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio sport cup 172
Possibly, although you'd tend to hear it slipping.

Not sure that marking it would work as for every full revolution the belt does, the alternator pulley would do x amount of turns. Meanwhile the marks would only line up once every certain revolution.
ah yeah fair one, I did just swap it with my spare alternator but only getting 12.4 volts with this one its just enough to remove the battery and stop light of the dash but looks like I need a new one.

Paulstewart20

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio sport cup 172
I tried below and it seemed to fluctuate widely but if I go from neg to the strut bolt its a good reading, Im gonna sand it all down and see what happens, just wanted to check that below is correct. tia

If your accessory still doesn’t work properly after redoing the grounds, you will need a voltmeter or multimeter to trace the wiring. Set the voltmeter to read ohms (resistance) and probe the battery’s negative stud and ground connection on the accessory (the ground terminal on an amp, for example). If you have a reading less than five ohms, the ground is okay.

If the resistance is okay but the accessory still isn’t working right, set the voltmeter to DC current (voltage). Turn the accessory on and retrace the grounding path as you did before. The voltage should be no greater than .05 volts under load. If you find a point where voltage is present, then you need to add a bonding strap or find a new grounding point so no voltage is present at any of the grounding points.

If the reading is higher, you need to probe the grounding path between the accessory and the battery. Starting at the battery, run the voltmeter probe from the battery to the first grounding point, usually a fender on muscle cars and trucks. Continue to where the fender attaches to the main body, and from there to the accessory. If you find a point of high resistance (over five ohms), you will need to attach a bonding strap or wire between the panels or parts where resistance is highest.