ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

alternator

clio 182
hi everyone, new to ClioSport so just wondering if anyone could help me, my alternator has gone on my 2005 182, does anybody know if a 172 alternator will fit? thanks.

Lionel Richie
same alternator, different part number (weird i know)

only difference is the 182 has the better metal pulley, the 172 plastic ones do break (especially if the mechanic is a mong)

they're about £200 new, i would recommend going for a new one with a warranty as its a relativley big job to do

clio 182
sory but is the pulley what the belt goes round as i have just purchased a used one for £40 and it is all metal?

Lionel Richie
you'll see what i mean when you come to fit it ;)

by false economy i mean - great its cost you £40

but its a 2.2 hour job for a pro to fit (probably 3-4hours for an amateur)

hence if it lasts 6months you'll be a bit pissed off having to take the car apart AGAIN!

clio 182
im a common custormer with a local garage and he says he will do labour for £60, from what ive been told and read on here thats not bad for the amount of work to fit 1

clio 182
haha, yeah i think it may be as he asked me to take car down so he could check it out. i printed a few notes out off here where people say how to fit the alternator, and he said he could do it for £60/70, £60 if he can. thanks for the quick replies and your help!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I charged £67.50 (1.5 hours) to fit one just today.

I do however have my special BADASS tensioner tool, without which (and if the tensioner isn't newish or being replaced) you'll struggle like buggery

In my opinion, take the opportunity to fit a new genuine tensioner kit