ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I getting to old for this modifying malarkey

Titanium 182
I have a fair few modified cars over the years and now am onto my 2nd RB 182 and I just cant bring myself to do anything to it! I am even at the stage where I am tempted with a trophy as it has all the bits I want for mine as standard. Even though my first RB was pretty modified and it was spot on.

Is it just me that’s going off the modified scene/look or are there others out there

MCS R56
I have a fair few modified cars over the years and now am onto my 2nd RB 182 and I just cant bring myself to do anything to it! I am even at the stage where I am tempted with a trophy as it has all the bits I want for mine as standard. Even though my first RB was pretty modified and it was spot on.

Is it just me that’s going off the modified scene/look or are there others out there

Right with you. Light mods are as far is goes for me.

Titanium 182
Normally I would get stuck in straigh away and have the lot done by now. Only bought some silvertec bulbs and a panel filter, this is how far I have gone.

Really tempted with a trophy, then I dont need to do anything then.

I must be going through the change.

I'm sure it will come back to you. Just an indication of where the scene is at the moment. Modifying is just for performance nowadays rather than look. If you go for different and new looks then you'll get slated on here. If you're building a track weapon then you're hailed as a god. Just go with your gut feeling and do what you want to do.

Titanium 182
I'd still class a Trophy as being part of that scene though. You'll know when you're getting old when you want an estate car or people carrier.

I've never been in to the whole modifying thing - most I've done to my cars are small bits here and there.

Titanium 182
26 pal

Yeah I do
Was fully lowered on the good old HR's, full Blueflame exhaust including decat and Simota Carbon fibre Aerofoam filter:}

Sounded wicked

11072007393.jpg

16072007428.jpg

330Ci (Fail)Sport
My 172 is the first car I've modded, only because I want to take it on track next year and hopefully keep it as a second car/track car in a few years when I buy something else.

I think if I was a CS member, I probably wouldn't have modded it, but then if I was member I probably wouldn't have bought one lol

R27
Wow your first RB looked amazing.

I understand how you feel i'm the same at the minute as I can't be bothered with it. However when you see something like above I still see the attraction.

Hyundai i40
im 25 and not too bothered about modding a car no more

tried to get into it again but ive grown up

a car now for me is to get A to B

cant believe im saying this :eek:

Still i want a better car tho but if i had a 182 it wud stay standard

1.4 phase 1
its understandable, but it when you see that part that would just be so perfect for the car that your right back on to the scene again.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not the law that you need to modify though some on here might think so! I think some standard cars look just as good if not better than some modded cars. I've upgraded things as they're worn out eg exhaust, brakes, suspesion and then added things for looks eg. splitter, toweye etc.

320d
I didn't mod my 1.2 atall. Since i've got my 172 i've done a few mods, only subtle though. Exhaust, PH2 rear lights, Sportlines (not fitted yet). I've got other smaller things like silvervisions, flat wipers etc.

I think i'll just be slowly adding mods over the time I have it. A mod can stop you from getting bored of your car by freshening it up.

audi a6 3.0tdi
I'm 27 and feel like a right tit driving my ph1 172 its standard on the outside but stripped out with a bucket seat. It doesn't help that its really loud. Much prefer my nice quiet, slightly lowered vectra. I can't bare to part with the clio though for those odd occasions when i get to go for a blast round wales or the lakes.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Only mods i've done are cos the Shite renault stuff fails/is s**t or it saves me money (15" wheels)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Would you not have to buy a lot of tyres to make it worth while? Whats a new set of 15's with tyres, £500?

hmmm then again suppose its about 5 pe2's!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Would you not have to buy a lot of tyres to make it worth while? Whats a new set of 15's with tyres, £500?

hmmm then again suppose its about 5 pe2's!

I paid £180 for my 15" with 2 pe2s on and 2 random tyres.

Put 2 new pe2s on for £140 and 2 T1RS for £70ish

They pay for themselves after 8 tyres, and there worth money anyway.

Thinking of going standard again though.

S2 106 GTI
lol just read this post, I am 27 in feb and every car I have owned I have put money into it for tuning mods! :eek: My old 172 cup had the full wrks done to it, sold that for a LCR, again put just short of 2k into it in a space of 7 months!

I now have a trophy and said to my self I am going to do nothing to it and keep it that way!................. nearly had it for a year and spent well over 1k on it! :( most of the things were cosmetic/ things needed replacing due to wear and tear but here's the list :eek:

-New steering wheel
-Discs and pads
-SS Braided hose kit
-Front dampers serviced
-Seat retrimmed (bolster)
-New Orb exhaust (old one fell off)
-New exhaust bush's
-All 4 wheels refurbished and fitted PE'2
-Mark Fish springs and revalved rear konis
-2 splitters
-Maxogen filter
-Matched Inlets
-New plugs

Fully de-dented and now just waiting to get booked in for a few touch ups.

Then thats final! I love the way it drives now and most of the things have transformed the car. I think I will maybe only have it for another 6-12 months then sell as I fancy moving down the list on 'my cars to own'

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
-New steering wheel
-Discs and pads

-SS Braided hose kit
-Front dampers serviced
-Seat retrimmed (bolster)
-New Orb exhaust (old one fell off)
-New exhaust bush's

-All 4 wheels refurbished and fitted PE'2
-Mark Fish springs and revalved rear konis
-2 splitters
-Maxogen filter
-Matched Inlets
-New plugs

Fully de-dented and now just waiting to get booked in for a few touch ups.
'

There not mods though IMO or they've been replaced cos old ones given up?

White clique
The only car i ever modded was my first one, an Uno Turbo about 13 years ago. TBH i had so many probs with it and it was such a bottomless pit of money that i blew out the mod scene forever after that.

I'm not at all tempted with mods now, not even lowering or alloys.

S2 106 GTI
The only car i ever modded was my first one, an Uno Turbo about 13 years ago. TBH i had so many probs with it and it was such a bottomless pit of money that i blew out the mod scene forever after that.

I'm not at all tempted with mods now, not even lowering or alloys.

just seen you have a z4 coupe....how do you find it??

Cayman S Edition 1
35 and have a Trophy with light mods. Most of the cash has been spent on maintaining it... refurb shocks, servicing etc.

My wife has a 225, so as you can imagine running 2 RS's ain't cheap.

Trophy is a great car but each to their own!

Anything I do is to make the most of the car and my enjoyment of it.

Some cars just aren't worth spending any money on though; you can't polish a turd!

172 cup
I'm 28 and fell out of modding after spending thousands with not much to show for. I feel it's a time sink and a waste of hard earned money at this point in my life. I'd rather have a car that performs well stock and looks good. At this point I think detailing and maintaining it's beauty should be kept as a hobby as it's aesthetically pleasing to me. But, obviously, to each their own.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'm all for modifiyin cars, providing it's an enhancement..Either by performance or visually.

If you want a faster car however, buy a faster car.