ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am I institutionalised?

Listerine & Poledo

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Think they would make a great daily tbh, I'm not at all a VAG fan however can't deny that they drive well - if a little boring. I would be tempted by a DSG.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-130-...322988?hash=item520a12ceac:g:H4kAAOSwAjRa-17r

These are quite a hoot - well over shadowed by the 135, however they still have 260 odd bhp and do 60 in a touch under 6s.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
  340i
I can relate to this as well.

Current daily driver is a mk5 1.9 tdi se golf. I’m looking for either a 320d touring or a 330d touring. Must be a certain spec as well, so Msport + pack and pro nav, plus a few other bits and pieces. Looked at a few now and nothing’s making making me want to part with my cash! Yet the golf boils my piss on a daily basis!!

Identical scenario as me... (Just replace the Golf with an A4!)

I've been looking for the right spec 330D touring for 2 months now, cannot find one at all! But it needs to be Msport, pro nav, less than 100k miles etc.

My A4 has creaking suspension, the speakers work when they feel like it, sounds like a tractor and generally annoys me every time I drive it!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Nice! My mistake, got to say I've never known much about Mazdas - certainly opens up some options for future cars as they look such a bargain!
Yeah certainly get a lot for your money. Mine was only a couple of years old, so I'm not sure how they've faired up reliability wise as they creep up towards 100k miles

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

Those Seats are good value, but god are they ugly. The A4 of that era is a nice looking car, but the Seat is a disaster. It totally put me off them.

Think they would make a great daily tbh, I'm not at all a VAG fan however can't deny that they drive well - if a little boring. I would be tempted by a DSG.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-130-...322988?hash=item520a12ceac:g:H4kAAOSwAjRa-17r

These are quite a hoot - well over shadowed by the 135, however they still have 260 odd bhp and do 60 in a touch under 6s.

A friend of mine has a 130i. It's quite nice to be honest. Not very big inside at all, but it feels quite quirky with the big engine and RWD.

I thought R26's were alright economy wise? Like 30mpg average touch 40 on a run?

The 5 pot ford engine in an ST struggles to do over 30 on a run. I don't know if the MPS would be any better?

My 2.5T Mondeo is proving quite poor on fuel so far. Trip is reading around 32mpg, even though I have been plodding on motorways for the most part. Who cares though, five cylinder engines are awesome. The way it picks up from no revs at all makes it so easy to drive.

I thought R26's were alright economy wise? Like 30mpg average touch 40 on a run?

The 5 pot ford engine in an ST struggles to do over 30 on a run. I don't know if the MPS would be any better?

You'd be hard pressed to get 40mpg out of them!

My 225 averages 26.3 mixed driving.

The best I got out of it was driving like a granny when I drove back from picking it up in Sheffield. That was 36mpg, cruise control set to 56-60mph?

Tbh honest whatever @imprezaworks wants now will have changed by tea time ?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm finding I want something better built cos I can't hack rattles and intrusive noise everyday and like my cars to feel solid. However with solidity and refinement comes at a cost of boredom more often than not from cars in my price range (£7500 and under). Or crap reliability.
The Fn2 is as close as I have come to getting the best out of all the categories that are important to me, it's not the best built, it's not the fastest, it's not the best in terms on involvement/rawness and it's not the comfiest. but it does well in every category mentioned AND it's not crappy turbo! So where other cars were good at one thing and completely useless in the others, this one is best across the lot.

Never fancied a DERV in my life, nor have I been swayed to get a German yawn mobile (except the 328 sport which nailed it! But the 330ci was dull and unfortunately 90% of e90s are derv).
fn2 - only IF you can bear the harsh ride.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
R26 I got mid 33mpg average. Interiors are really poor compared to the German based stuff. But drive brilliantly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
R26 I got mid 33mpg average. Interiors are really poor compared to the German based stuff. But drive brilliantly.

yep, plus they sound about as exciting as the talking clock. That's what killed it for me.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I thought my 225 trophy sounded okay, back box delete and induction kit.

I was still in 'must have clio' mode so i sold it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yep, plus they sound about as exciting as the talking clock. That's what killed it for me.
Horses for courses. Everyone has different priorities. I'd take the way the r26 drives over noise all day, every day.

For 6k, I'm not sure there's any hatch that gets near the r26 as a driving tool.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Horses for courses. Everyone has different priorities. I'd take the way the r26 drives over noise all day, every day.

For 6k, I'm not sure there's any hatch that gets near the r26 as a driving tool.

Ep3 over an R26 for me. With lsd it'd be an even easier decision!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ep3 over an R26 for me. With lsd it'd be an even easier decision!
A standard ep3? See for me, that's pretty much the most disappointing chassis in a modernish hatch. It's too stiff, a mess in the wet (seriously, how can a car with less torque than a hairdryer struggle so much with traction??) and has ps3 levels of steering feel.

The engine /box combo is great (on an empty clear road), but it just wouldn't see which way an r26 went.

I know it's a marmite car, but it's up there with the 197 as the biggest let down I've driven.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'm finding I want something better built cos I can't hack rattles and intrusive noise everyday and like my cars to feel solid. However with solidity and refinement comes at a cost of boredom more often than not from cars in my price range (£7500 and under). Or crap reliability.
The Fn2 is as close as I have come to getting the best out of all the categories that are important to me, it's not the best built, it's not the fastest, it's not the best in terms on involvement/rawness and it's not the comfiest. but it does well in every category mentioned AND it's not crappy turbo! So where other cars were good at one thing and completely useless in the others, this one is best across the lot.

Never fancied a DERV in my life, nor have I been swayed to get a German yawn mobile (except the 328 sport which nailed it! But the 330ci was dull and unfortunately 90% of e90s are derv).
fn2 - only IF you can bear the harsh ride.

The above is exactly how I felt about my old 328i Touring - was not at the top of any category (ride, performance, handling, economy etc) but did everything really well, so averaged out as a winner (if that makes sense). Could do 40mpg on a long run, and kept pace with things I didn't think it should. Bit old hat now and hard to find a good one. I liked it so much that I now own an M3 converted E46 touring which does equally well across the board yet with a little more urgency and style.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
A standard ep3? See for me, that's pretty much the most disappointing chassis in a modernish hatch. It's too stiff, a mess in the wet (seriously, how can a car with less torque than a hairdryer struggle so much with traction??) and has ps3 levels of steering feel.

The engine /box combo is great (on an empty clear road), but it just wouldn't see which way an r26 went.

I know it's a marmite car, but it's up there with the 197 as the biggest let down I've driven.

Will admit, as stock it was a let down. Few tweaks and they're brilliant. The meg is great chassis wise, but the rest thats bolted to it just feels a bit cheap and naff. The steering in the ep is definitely a weak point, but the handling, box and engine make up for it in bundles.

Defo a marmite car, as are all hondas to be honest

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
For those looking in the £7-8k category, a Meg 250 is surely going to be the car to have in the coming years. Not too many in that price bracket yet, but getting there now. Quality is a big step-up from the MK2 and a brilliant drive. As standard, the Megane doesn't sound great, but a mid box chop and induction kit made my 265 sound pretty decent. As good as any other turbo hatch with four cylinders anyway.

For closer to £5k, it would be between MK5 Golf GTI, MK2 Focus ST and Megane R26 for me.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Is the swift not a good choice? Not fast like but probs tick a lot of boxes and good fun

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Is the mk5 era a ticking rust bomb?

I would think they're fine. Just buy a good one and make sure you get some rust protection on it. There are plenty out there to choose from, so should be possible to buy a solid one, surely?

As a daily, it would probably be my top choice to be honest. Not as exciting as the Ford or the Renault, but the nicest interior and just a 'good at everything' car.