ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amazon Fire TV

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
With the disappointment that there won't be the Nexus Player in the UK (at least, not yet). I decided to have a look at the Amazon Fire TV.

This is available from the 23rd of this month. Specs are as follows:
  • Qualcomm Quad Core Krait 300, 1.7GHz (CPU)
  • Qualcomm Adreno 320, 400 MHz (GPU)
  • 2GB RAM
Link here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KQEJBSW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Better specs than anything out there at the minute and actually better than the Nexus Player. Only difference being that it's based on Jellybean which is now 2 generations out of date.

I'm sure someone will find a way to run a normal version of Android on there but so far you can already get Nova Launcher working on there to allow non store apps to be accessed easier (rather than through the settings menu) and of course XBMC, which apparently since the latest release of "Gotham" works really well.

Link to the Engadget review of the additional features: http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/13/fire-tv/

I'm quite tempted by this as it's far cheaper than an ATV 2 which can be jailbroken and obviously the Nexus Player isn't available. Anyone else going to have a look at one?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Better spec than the Roku 3 and if you don't mint having to tinker a little for some apps then it's spot on. I'm still trying to get hold of a nexus player from America but I might also buy one of these.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My colleague was exploring the unlocking of it? Similar to mentioned above to watch all the sky channels etc? Looking for one for the bedroom. Fancy a new TV first though...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Well I should have said install that thing you just spoke of... i'll get someone to do that for me!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's a really simple process tbh. I'm going to try installing the apk from a USB first and see if that works. I can't see why it wouldn't if you can side load it anyway.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's here!

yhatyqem.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Let me know what it's like dude

I'm a bit s**t with messing about with stuff like this, couldn't even get plex to work ffs so you'll have to run me through thins if I get it

Will do. I'll be having a tinker tonight so will post an update.

I'm hoping I can install XBMC over USB which would be nice. If all goes well I'll be buying a second one.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Any advantage of having one over the ATV2?

You get iplayer, 4od and all the other catch up apps, cheaper and XBMC which is what runs on the jail broken ATV2's will run much smoother and is just an app so no messing around needed with the OS. You just can't download it through the app store.

You can also play games on it that you have on your phone and if you have an Amazon prime account you can use their streaming service too.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure. But I will investigate tonight and let you know. I know to use airplay on Android you usually need to root the device but I've never tried the other way round.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
First impressions are good.

Box looks really smart and so does the controller. The controller doesn't feel as high quality as the ATV remote but its nice and the extra buttons help.

So far I've managed to very easily install XBMC. Had a nightmare with installing iStream onto XBMC but that's nothing to do with the fire, just a known issue with comparability between iStream and the Gotham release.

As far as airplay goes I've found it can be done by an app from the Amazon store called AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO). It allows the Fire TV to pick up AirPlay from an Apple device. (£2.95 so not exactly bank breaking).

Plex is also a paid app on the Amazon store, can't recall the price.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I really want something like this for my bedroom. No idea what plex or xbmc is.
So I can 100% stream from my mbp?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Using airplay yeah. I've not tested the app myself but all it does is enable AirPlay on the Amazon fire TV.

Only gripe with everything so far is the fact you can't view media on a USB drive without rooting the device.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm hoping someone can just root this to run lollypop android TV.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm hoping someone can just root this to run lollypop android TV.

Me too tbh. Only problem is the latest software hasn't been rooted yet. You have to stop your device updating as soon as you open it and plug it in to be able to root.

The issue is the interface is the limiting factor on the AFTV. Everything else is superb.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It would. I'll probably get one when they eventually arrive over here. Tempted to get one sent over from the states tbh.

Currently stuck between getting a second AFTV or wait for a Nexus Player.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Just bought one for my bedroom but haven't a clue about this XBMC stuff.
I just wanted to be able to watch films/tv shows etc but don't want to pay £79/year for it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought one for my bedroom but haven't a clue about this XBMC stuff.
I just wanted to be able to watch films/tv shows etc but don't want to pay £79/year for it.

I can either talk you through it VIA PM or if you're at home and have it set up I can team viewer onto your pc and set it up for you.

I'll have to talk you through setting up a few addons for XBMC though.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Still recommend these Rhys? Just sold off the atv2 as support has even stopped from the xbmc guys now. I need a replacement.
Thinking this or importing a Nexus thingy.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Don't update then? Not that i need usb file support. Any other decent additions other than xbmc?
Yeah don't update basically (although I haven't checked if there is a new JB for the latest version now)

I'm just using xbmc. Haven't looked at anything else because I don't have any interest these days.