ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OnePlus 2 - Announced

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
One Plus two have been announced.

OnePlus_2_specs.png

DSC04123.0.jpg

OnePlus_2_Alert_Slider.png

OnePlus_2_Oxygen_OS_gestures.png

DSC04134.0.jpg

OnePlus_2_release_date_price_and_specs.png

DSC04145.0.jpg

DSC04132.0.jpg

DSC04125.0.jpg

Ripped from various places
The OnePlus 2 price is now official so the 16GB model is just £239 and £289 for the 64GB capacity. The US pricing is $329 and $389 respectively.

To clarify, that's a little more expensive than the OnePlus One when it launched at £229 and £269 but this is because of the 'more premium build quality and feature set of the OnePlus 2', according to OnePlus.

OnePlus has confirmed that the OnePlus 2 will be once again available in the familiar Sandstone Black. However, other panaches are available in the form of OnePlus 2 StyleSwap Covers. These will come in Bamboo, Rosewood, Black Apricot and Kevlar. The system means you can swap covers quickly and without tools.There are no prices for the OnePlus 2 StyleSwap covers just yet but we're told by OnePlus that they will be available at the same time as the phone itself.

OnePlus 2 specification and features
As you might know, quite a few specs and features were announced before the OnePlus 2 so we're going to recap on those first, then crack on with the new hardware and features. So, we already knew that the OnePlus 2 has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor (version 2.1), a fingerprint scanner, 4GB of RAM and reversible Type-C USB.

Storage and memory
Although OnePlus announced that the OnePlus 2 will have 4GB of RAM, this is not the case for both models. You'll need to buy the 64GB capacity because the 16GB OnePlus 2 comes with 3GB of RAM instead.

Screen

The display on the OnePlus 2 remains at 5.5in with a Full HD resolution (1080 x 1920). The firm has said it's an IPS panel with a 178 degree viewing angle and a brightness of 600nits which compares to 559nits of the iPhone 6.

Cameras
The rear camera on the OnePlus 2 remains at 13Mp and still has the dual-LED flash. The firm says it has an f/2 aperture, 1.3μm pixels and six lenses to avoid distortion and colour aberration. Other features include optical image stabilisation (OIS), a laser auto focus (under 0.3 second) and 4K video recording. Support for shooting in RAW will also be added via a software update 'shortly after launch'.

At the front, there's still a 5Mp camera which is wide-angle to fit as much into a selfie as possible.

Fingerprint scanner
We knew about the fingerprint scanner but here are some more details on it. For starters it resides in a new physical home button located below the screen like the Galaxy S6. OnePlus says you can use it to unlock the phone faster than the iPhone in under 0.5 seconds. It also supports up to five prints.

Alert Slider
A new feature of the OnePlus 2 is the Alert Slider which you'll find on the left side of the device. This has three positions so you can quickly switch between different notification profiles: None (all notifications apart from alarms), Priority (only allows notifications from priority contacts) and All (allows any notification).

Connectivity: Dual-SIM and Type-C USB
The OnePlus 2 comes with dual-band 11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, 4G LTE, dual Nano-SIM slots and a digital compass. The Type-C USB port means you can plug in the cable either way round (like Apple's Lightning cable) but OnePlus has also used patented technology so you can plug an existing Type-A cable in whichever way you like, too. The supplied cable is reversible at both ends, not just at the phone.

Battery
One of the last hardware components to mention is the battery which is 3300mAh which is a little larger than the OnePlus One which has a 3100mAh battery.

Dimensions
With a similar size and shape to the OnePlus One, the OnePlus 2 is similar on the dimensions front but is a little different. It's now 152x75x9.85mm and 175 g compared to 153 x76x8.9mm and 162g.

Oxygen OS and software
As announced previously, the OnePlus 2 will come pre-loaded with the firm's own Oxygen OS which is based on Android 5.1 Lollipop. It's "light, powerful, and customizable. We've kept the best of the pure Android experience and enhanced it with thoughtful features and optimizations."

Oxygen OS features a dark mode, customisable accent colours, custom LED notifications, access to app permissions, SwiftKey and an Audio Tuner which includes a graphic EQ. The software also includes 'off-screen gestures' which allow you to double tap the screen to wake it, draw an 'O' to launch the camera and draw a 'V' to switch the flashlight on and off, for example.

Shelf is a new feature in Oxygen OS which is a space for you to "keep, organize and discover the things you care about." The optional feature is accessed by swiping to the right of the homescreen and contains default widgets displaying your most used apps and contacts.

That's all the specs and features of the OnePlus 2 but you can see a full and details specification sheet below:
Colour: Sandstone Black
Dimensions: 151.8 x 74.9 x 9.85mm
Weight: 175 g
Processor: 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor with 1.8GHz Octa-core CPUs
GPU: Adreno 430, 650MHz
Memory: 3/4GB LP-DDR4, 1333MHz
Storage: 16/64 GB eMMC v5.0, available capacity varies
Sensors: Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity and Ambient Light
Battery: Embedded rechargeable 3300 mAh LiPo battery
Connectivity: GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz, WCDMA (EU/India) 1/2/5/8, FDD-LTE (EU/India): 1/3/5/7/8/20
Wi-Fi: Dual-band 2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz a/n/ac
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1
Positioning: Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS, Digital Compass
Ports: USB Type-C, Jack 3.5mm
Buttons, Power Button, Volume Rockers, Alert Slider
SIM: 2 slots - Nano SIM (Dual SIM, Dual Standby)
Screen: 5.5in, IPS Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), 401 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass
Rear camera: 13Mp, 1.3um, 6 lenses, OIS, Laser Focus, Dual-LED flash, f/2.0
Front camera: 5Mp, Distortion free
Video: 4K resolution video, Slow Motion: 720p video at 120fps
Speaker: Bottom-facing speaker
Microphones: Dual-microphone with noise cancellation
Audio formats: Playback: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA (v9 and v10), AMR-NB, AMR-WB, EVRC, QCELP, WAV, FLV, SWF, APE, FLAC, WAV, OGG, Recording: AAC, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, EVRC, QCELP
Video formats: Playback: HEVC (H.265), H.264, VC-1, MPEG-4, DivX, XCid, H.264, MPEG-2, VP8, MP4, MOV, 3GP, AVI, MKV, RM, RMVB, ASF, WMV, WMA Recording: HEVC (H.265), H.264, MPEG-4, H.263, VP8
Image formats: Playback: JPEG, PNG, BMP, Output: JPEG

Want invites - https://oneplus.net/invites?kolid=INN5DQ
Please use that link. Faster I get one, faster ill give links out to people here.
:smile:

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Its either this or the new Nexus for me (depending on spec etc). My contract runs out in Jan and I will go sim only next time round and buy a phone outright. The LG G4 also looks pretty decent but if this is bringing RAW image support that could sway my choice. The camera on the G4 looks incredible though.

What's the deal with the OS with these? Does it come pre loaded and you just update OTA or do you need to root etc before use?

I assume you just sign in using your Android details?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Its either this or the new Nexus for me (depending on spec etc). My contract runs out in Jan and I will go sim only next time round and buy a phone outright. The LG G4 also looks pretty decent but if this is bringing RAW image support that could sway my choice. The camera on the G4 looks incredible though.

What's the deal with the OS with these? Does it come pre loaded and you just update OTA or do you need to root etc before use?

I assume you just sign in using your Android details?
Preloaded. Yep.

Aye, preloaded with OxygenOS or w/e they call it nowadays. The nice thing is they allow you to flash other ROMs without voiding your warranty, should you choose to go for something different.

I currently use BlissPop and its much faster with better battery life, fantastic ROM (on the OPO) - presume the warranty will be the same on the OPO2, unless then plan to lock it down more, we'll see.

2003 172
I think this phone looks great for the money. Seems odd not having NFC, particularly with the rise of mobile payments
This. After years of having NFC, we finally get close to having a proper use for it and a flagship phone comes out without it. This is a dealbreaker for me. Other things like the lack of wireless charging and no SD card/replaceable battery are annoying but are not that important.
As others have said, i'll wait till the new Nexus 5 comes out to replace my current Nexus 5.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Just to let you know. The swap style covers had the NFC connectivity.
So whos to say they didnt do it like last time, had the connector there, just arent providing it in the normal shell.
Upgrade to another cover and it may have it present.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
So fed up of iOS lately, it's just turned shite, keep thinking about making the move over and this phone looks so good.

Just so happened to walk around times square today to find a crew dismantling a one plus pop up stand? Walked over and started chatting to a guy who worked there and had a one plus 2 in his hands. Had a little play and I was very impressed. Currently using a one plus one and its a very good replacement. Felt great, finger print scanner works very quickly and the new ui is very smart. Started talking about oxygen OS and the issues I have with my current phone for him to turn round and point at a girl and said 'she developed it so talk to her' so I did. She also showed me about 3 different builds of the two and also the little tricks the new ui does. Very impressed I must admit. Pretty cool girl, loves the fans feedback so she can customise her delopment.
Asked about the best way to get an invite for the two for her to reach in her bag and say 'its your lucky day, I have 1 left I didn't give out' what a result. Happy days. Can't wait to order it now.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
RAW camera files. Excellent! Looks great! I may move I've to this from Apple.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
This doesn't do much for me. Unless they're being nuggets and not pushing software update to the Ones.. I only bought mine at Xmas. Half price phones are fine but I'm not upgrading every 9 months.

This looks exactly the same and other than some tweaks which look to be 10% better.... Just buy a One.

Kinda disappointed tbh !

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
This doesn't do much for me. Unless they're being nuggets and not pushing software update to the Ones.. I only bought mine at Xmas. Half price phones are fine but I'm not upgrading every 9 months.

This looks exactly the same and other than some tweaks which look to be 10% better.... Just buy a One.

Kinda disappointed tbh !

I don't quite understand your point.

The oneplus was shipping in April of last year, that puts its cycle at give or take 18 months....if you didn't manage to get one until december then it'd be no different to buying an iPhone in April and then moaning that it got updated in September! Lol

The OS that it shipped with was cyanogen mod, but seeing how cm fell out with one plus, you're unlikely to see any major releases going forward....that isn't to say you could flash on a different firmware and use that though.

This also explains the move to oxygen os which is an in house development which means they can't fall out with anybody, but, here's the kicker, they can't push oxygen os onto your device, they can only push cm, so to move to oxygen you need to manually flash and then you do ota updates on that.

Yeah I've had mine over a year now which is around the time I upgrade. Been doing it since the early days of the G1 and when 12 month contract were a thing of the past.

I flashed oxygen OS into it soon as it got released. She showed me a few new decent ui tricks and features which looked good.

I'm looking forward to the upgraded 64 bit cpu the increased ram, the hardware silent button, the finger print sensor, the extended battery and the upgraded camera. :)

You know it makes sense Rob.

It's got a duel sim card slot which I'm sure I'll find use off Lol.

Also I'll be onboard the USB type C early doors

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Well, they were running the page without a captcha for a long time. ;) probably more chance of getting an invite from other sources or getting the phone in a flash sale than getting from from that list.