ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ammonia Thioglycolate .... Read and save money :)

Clio 172 phase 1
Hi there after recently purchasing a bottle of iron-x ( Great product ) the one thing that became apparent was the stink! I showed my mrs ( whose a hairdresser ) and she said its full of ammonia and stinks of hair perming solution...

So after some Digging i found out that the active ingredient in iron x is ammonia thioglycate " perming solution "
With this in mind i decided to uphold a little experiment. I went down to the local hairdresser suppliers and bought a liter bottle of perming solution " pay careful attention its for normal hair and contains ammonia thioglycate as some are herbal and have different chemicals in them "

So any way I payed £8.49 for a liter and Diluted it 50/50 with normal tap water Some say you can dilute it 2-1 2= water 1-ammonia ......

I then sprayed it very cautiously on my mothers civic wheels " she was going nuts in case it went wrong " within seconds a stream of purple began removing bedded in brake dust i was amazed " wish i had taken a picture :( " a little agitate with a brush and a hose off and they were gleaming..

I have not tried it on the car yet to comment on the iron particle and not needing to clay after yet but i am off work sunday so i shall do it then. But if it reacts the same on wheels Im sure itll be just as good on paint....

With more knowledge alot of wheel cleaners actually are ammonia based as they can sell them ph neutral " safe for all wheels " PLEASE READ THIS !

When ammonia reacts it become massively corrosive ... do not and i mean do not use it on aluminium or polished wheels as it may ruin them I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE IN AN EXPEREMENT.

also to point out keep ammonia away from any bleach or surfaces with bleach on them as the gas is produced is very bad causing damage to eyes and breathing !

I hope you found this as interesting as i did to learn about there is alot more to it than mentioned but i dont want to bore you :) :cool:

Appreciate the post. I am aware of the active ingredient in IronX as it is present in a number of cheap(er) wheel cleaners (Turtle Wax Ice and the now infamous Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels).

Interesting experiment, but as suggested, I would be very cautious about using this as the pH neutral liquid/"water" that contains the reaction is what we need to test first. If it is water, great.

Have you posted this on DW?

Clio 172 phase 1
Highly recommend trying it you can go to a local wilkinsons store or similar and get a small perming soloution and dilute with water. works a treat

Clio 172 phase 1
I haven't posted on d.w as of yet... Its all a little but funny regarding the ph if you ask me from research i have found that the ammonia is ph neutral in the bottle ... so when you buy it an it says ph neutral it legally is .... but when it comes into contact with paint it become nearly ph12 ...... with effectivly heats the paint to open the pores and release iron .... now I understand the damage but in real trems its never going to be in contact long enough to do damage and as per instructions not for use in direct sunlight and dont leave it to dry... more test are needed but i believe im onto some thing here :)

Clio 172 phase 1
Appreciate the post. I am aware of the active ingredient in IronX as it is present in a number of cheap(er) wheel cleaners (Turtle Wax Ice and the now infamous Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels).

Interesting experiment, but as suggested, I would be very cautious about using this as the pH neutral liquid/"water" that contains the reaction is what we need to test first. If it is water, great.

Have you posted this on DW?

The wheel cleaners you mentioned are exactly the same in different bottles as there all manufactured by Tetrosyl bottled and sold off under different trading names ... the meguiars hot wheels is the same sort of stuff as well .....

Clio 172 phase 1
Sounds safe as f**k...

This is why i tried it on the mothers car lol ... but its all the same chemicals in different bottles with brand labels so an experiment was good plus its fun learning about how stuff works :)

I agree on the trying it out. But as said, I wouldn't be using it on my own car/body work just yet. A little more research me thinks!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The wheel cleaners you mentioned are exactly the same in different bottles as there all manufactured by Tetrosyl bottled and sold off under different trading names ... the meguiars hot wheels is the same sort of stuff as well .....

See now you're spouting stuff as fact and it's very much wrong and libel to a point.

Loreal make about a 100 different brand of shampoo but they are made with slightly different ingredients, some more rare and expensive than others.

Just because one company makes something doesn't mean everything from that company is the same.

Iron X, Iron out, Iron cleanse, Purple rain. All different products to different ingredients, okay they will still have a base, possibly Iron out and PR are the same as AB and AF share lots of products but IX is a standalone product that non of the others get close to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR006fqpz-2gRdmaG8nb1tfjUqfuTEIiykSBFA-_YKAkyUBiQlO.jpg

Clio 172 phase 1
Think ive uspet some one... if your not interested in the science behind the product then fine but like you've said they all have the same base witch is ammonia .... however i can 100% tell you all the stuff manufactured by tetrosyl is the same s**t diff label theve just released " auto finish " and a new wonder wheels range... they are exactly the same stuff in different bottles i know i work within the company and have visited the manufacturing plant in bury myself.... i never once slated iron x infact i said its a great product .... i pointed out that if you wished you could make some at home for less money and a bit of fun..... chill out like its a computer and its sunny out get a beer and relax

330i. E30 Touring.
Gally will never relax where paint condition is concerned.

I used piss as a pre-cleanser the other day. Worked perfectly- must be the ammonia.

I'm being serious too- to all the FS boys, avoid the LH RR QTR on the 172.

Not a 320d
Think ive uspet some one... if your not interested in the science behind the product then fine but like you've said they all have the same base witch is ammonia .... however i can 100% tell you all the stuff manufactured by tetrosyl is the same s**t diff label theve just released " auto finish " and a new wonder wheels range... they are exactly the same stuff in different bottles i know i work within the company and have visited the manufacturing plant in bury myself.... i never once slated iron x infact i said its a great product .... i pointed out that if you wished you could make some at home for less money and a bit of fun..... chill out like its a computer and its sunny out get a beer and relax

Hold your horses mate no one is upset...

I know. But its necessary to discuss that it could be lethal if not tested properly.

How would I feel If I sprayed that all over my 19" BMW 313 rimz and the paint fell off?

Lol. Ryan, you've not upset him. He was replying with a view. And no offense, but Gallyknowledge>yours.

Who do you work for?

Gally will never relax where paint condition is concerned.

I used piss as a pre-cleanser the other day. Worked perfectly- must be the ammonia.

I'm being serious too- to all the FS boys, avoid the LH RR QTR on the 172.

LOL. <3s the Mike.

Clio 172 phase 1
im very anal with polish etc too but if my post was read correctly I stated the use of home made, on wheels and that more research was needed into it before i smothered my car in it however i do think im onto something here and who would say no to 5l of a deironiser for possibly less than £15.. nobody

Child.

Ryan, agreed, much like my recent GB thread about the cheaper, contaminant removing Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels product. However, you/we need to do more research on the container fluid!

Clio 172 phase 1
Lol. Ryan, you've not upset him. He was replying with a view. And no offense, but Gallyknowledge>yours.

Who do you work for?

Ive literally just resigned as a store manager for motorworld to go self employed within my detailing business however i dont post on forums about detailing or the fact that i do it as Imo its all bullshit ive watched ppl argue to the balls over products and methods and which is right when really there doing the same thing but in different ways it bugs me when people dont have an input and want to learn or when they slate others for trying .... i love spending 16hours getting every swirl out of cars i love spending 10hours brushing out vents and cleaning exhaust pipes... also before I was a store manager I usto work in the tetrosyl manufacturing plant but trust if you want a bull s**t underpayed job for a piss poor company there the ones to work for

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
im very anal with polish etc too but if my post was read correctly I stated the use of home made, on wheels and that more research was needed into it before i smothered my car in it however i do think im onto something here and who would say no to 5l of a deironiser for possibly less than £15.. nobody

I would if you made in you house using a chemistry set.

Can you make IX out of these basic products?

330i. E30 Touring.
If you boys need a mule to test it out on, i'm happy to have a half paint stripped car.

Ive literally just resigned as a store manager for motorworld to go self employed within my detailing business however i dont post on forums about detailing or the fact that i do it as Imo its all bulls**t ive watched ppl argue to the balls over products and methods and which is right when really there doing the same thing but in different ways it bugs me when people dont have an input and want to learn or when they slate others for trying .... i love spending 16hours getting every swirl out of cars i love spending 10hours brushing out vents and cleaning exhaust pipes... also before I was a store manager I usto work in the tetrosyl manufacturing plant but trust if you want a bull s**t underpayed job for a piss poor company there the ones to work for

Took a while to read that, but OK!

What detailing business are you starting?

Clio 172 phase 1
Agree JD hopefully some one on here will have tried a similar method or have an input into chemicals and soon we will all have massive amounts of wheel cleaner if not fallout remover :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Agree JD hopefully some one on here will have tried a similar method or have an input into chemicals and soon we will all have massive amounts of wheel cleaner if not fallout remover :)

Can you make Iron X?

Clio 172 phase 1
Ive been running it on the side for a while now james at ti22 in newport first got me into it when he carbon wrapped some bits for me since then ive been having a great time practicing and using different products. I didnt want to go live with the business untill I was sure i can live up to expectations unlike many who say im a detailer watch me cover your car in g3 and burn through and end up polishing metal lol :) Im thinking of calling it Ultimate detail hopefully ill have all my affairs in order for Fench car show and ill be pushing it then :)

Clio 172 phase 1
Can you make Iron X?

How can i make it? i dont have the correct stuff to and i wouldnt want to im not here saying im making copies of it ? all ive said is that ammonia which is an active and main ingredient in it and i diluted some used it on wheels and it was awesome... i was merely trying to be helpful and save ppl a few quid .... ill let you know when ive tried it on a contaminated panel however now youre asking me paint types it might be fine on a uhs finish but on a 3 stage pearl it could react or on a 2 pack it might start to brake down the paint .... who knows ? ? so no i cant make Iron x ... car pro can though for £16 a liter or you can have a play with some ammonia and water and try to make something similar and try it on a set of old wheels ?

Clio 172 phase 1
Not my business unfortunately however i do use/have alot of swissvax products.... excellent pheraphs chip can share some more info and complete the missing link in the chemical equation for us :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol. You mean wheels are fine but paintwork you're not sure about?

You can put any disclosure you want in the title, but the fact is you're recommending something, that could damage someone's car because you know of a main ingredient in some iron dissolvers.

It's utterly insane. I'm sure you're detailing customers are very lucky.

It's great finding cheap alternatives but you're recommending, what can be a volatile product to use on people's pride and joy.

I did lol at £16 a litre. Even Andy knows I wouldn't pay that!

Clio 172 phase 1
Yeh my mothers honda wheels are fine to try it on come over shed love it if you went out there and cleaned her car for her lol.....

Yeh i put a disclosure because i mixed mine dead 50-50 if some one puts it on neat and it damages there car then its not my fault lol im just sharing information, that hopefully some one could say yeh the other 20% or iron x is ... but obv not

nor and before you accuse any further would i ever put something ive created like this on a customers car ! they pay for a service using some of the best products on the market to enhance there vehicle....

and just because i find things like this interesting and i like to experiment on my own car or my mothers car dosent mean im saying hey buy all this s**t its great it means im sayin ive done this and it worked ...

I payed £59 for loads of iron x and i think its brilliant ..... no more to say really

Everyone is a detailer these days. That's not aimed at you, Ryan. It's just fact. It's the new fad to tuners/remappers.