ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp cable...

TT
Where is the best place to run the power cable for the amp?i was running it underneath my car and in through a gromit under the passenger seat, but that caused problems (got ripped out) so was wondering where is the best place to run it through into the car? is there a gromit behind the glove box?

ps i forgot to say... its a mk2 ph2

Renault Clio 05' 1.2 16v
you may need to drill through the fire wall near the glovebox to get it through but am not totaly sure make sure if you do it goes thru a grommit and keep the cable away from your remote turn on and rca's.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
hi there

Under the car is a no no!!

If you pull the carpet back in the passenger footwell you will see the body of the car,
and what looks almost like a cross, if you drill a hole dead centre you can run you cable through it, then pull fire wall carpet back under the bonnet and you should be able to see where the hole is, you might have to take off the coolant tank ( i did on my 172)

dont drill to deep though as the abs unit is behind there (well on my 172 it is)
add a grommit to you hole to stop chaffing and then your sorted.

I am running 0awg power cable without a problem.

Hope this helps
scott

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
if u lie down in the front passenger footwell, and put your hand up and follow the bon net popper cable to the bulkhead u will find a rubber gromit, pull this through to the inside of the car a bit and then your cable can go straight from the engine bay.

also, in my clio the amp wouldn't earth properly, so you may need to run another cable to the negative on you battery, there is enough room in the gromit to do this, just make sure that the earth/negative cable is thicker than the positive.

don't drill any holes, there shouldnt be a need to in any car as there are gromits in the bulkhead that can be used, holes just help rusting!

if you want any more help just drop me a pm

BMW M135i
I've used the two isofix bar bolts in the boot for earths on both my mk2 clios and have never had a problem with either.

Bonnet release grommet is the way to go I've got 4awg through it without too much hassle did take some fighting but nothing major. My tip would be not to pull the grommet out of the bulkhead to put it through as I did this on my first clio and had trouble getting it back in with the cable through, left it in the second time and didn't have and problems.
Lubing the cable up with fairy or something like that helps it slide through a lot more easily too.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Earth point is under side trim in boot, pull the carpet back under the n/s rear light o/e earth is the best to use

TT
Yeah i first used 4 awg, so i assume il be using the same! i had earthed it all using the rear seatbelt bolts, but ever since i had my exhaust fitted, that hasnt worked as an earthing point! Is negative the best way to go?or any other suggestions?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
use the earth i said to use, if you have mutiple amp installs always earth them at the same point, if you connect the earth to the negative on the battery you stand more chance of getting feedback through your system (whining noise that increases with rpm)