ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amplifier interferene

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
Hi im running two amps off a common power supply via a large fused splitter, the other day my sub cables came off n shorted the amp, unfortunatly its a s**t one so blew the protection circuit, i got it repaired but now the other amp is picking up interference - from the alternator?- and when i plug the sub amp in this gets much much worse causing my 6x9's to literally scream constanly, any idea if fitting summit like a 1 farad capacitor will fix this coz it neva happened before n i dont really wanna have to take both amps out to get em looked at ?? cheers

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
already checked that thread the picture in the diagram is exactly hwo mine is wired, it used to work fine until one of em fused when the output cables fused, i think i've probably blown the suppressors in both amps coz their on a common power supply n the cheap one - connected to the sub- probably pulsed back n blew my much more costly alpine one runnin the 6x9's. i spoke to bloke i got to fix the other one n he said it'll cost £35 quid to do the suppressor on each amp n i've already shelled that out once of the cheap one to get it working after the protection circuit blew. Does anyone know if fitting a capacitor will fix the interference as i know they smooth the input signal of the power supply and work out cheaper than getting both amps fixed

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
already checked that thread the picture in the diagram is exactly hwo mine is wired, it used to work fine until one of em fused when the output cables fused, i think i've probably blown the suppressors in both amps coz their on a common power supply n the cheap one - connected to the sub- probably pulsed back n blew my much more costly alpine one runnin the 6x9's. i spoke to bloke i got to fix the other one n he said it'll cost £35 quid to do the suppressor on each amp n i've already shelled that out once of the cheap one to get it working after the protection circuit blew. Does anyone know if fitting a capacitor will fix the interference as i know they smooth the input signal of the power supply and work out cheaper than getting both amps fixed

Not really, the suppression circuits inside amps can not be replaced by external components for all sorts of reasons. Its only a capacitor costing a quid, and taking 10 min to install, I'm impressed with his rates, that works out at over £200 an hour.................:evil:

Clio Mk1

Not really, the suppression circuits inside amps can not be replaced by external components for all sorts of reasons. Its only a capacitor costing a quid, and taking 10 min to install, I'm impressed with his rates, that works out at over £200 an hour.................:evil:

get a new amp for that lol

Renault clio 1.6 16v mk2
so an external capacitor wont help at all, n the internal suppression is jus down to an internal capacitor, is that summit i could do myself, i did electronics a level so am used to pcb soldering n stuff n ill check out that ground loop isolator thing for the 6x9's, any idea if that'd work for the sub too coz im getting a similar sort of interference through that too jus at a lower range cheers

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
so an external capacitor wont help at all, n the internal suppression is jus down to an internal capacitor, is that summit i could do myself, i did electronics a level so am used to pcb soldering n stuff n ill check out that ground loop isolator thing for the 6x9's, any idea if that'd work for the sub too coz im getting a similar sort of interference through that too jus at a lower range cheers

If you can solder and do basic circuit/component checking you shouldn't find it a problem.

Some manufacturers use in-house component numbers as opposed to stamping values on components so there might be a need for circuit diagrams or an equivalents chart to find the capacitors value.

You will be looking for one, maybe two polarised capacitors very close to the input connections.

If you whip the case off and find you cant work out what is what..photograph it and Ill sort it out for you.
;)