ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ancillary Belt Rubbing on Tensioner after changing alternator and ancillary belt

03 clio sport asc
Hi Guys

I know this has come up before but not quite sure if this as serious as others or nothing to worry about

I changed my alternator and changed my ancillary belt with the pikey Jubilee Clip Method. I have now driven around 100 miles and have noticed the belt has just slightly been rubbing on the tensioner and has just scraped off some of the markings on the belt right in the middle.

Please have a look at the pics and tell me your thoughts.. some older posts ive found have led me to believe I may have bent the tensioner? is this possible by over tightening the jubilee clip maybe? or my thoughts are I need to adjust the mount for the alternator?

Please let me know what I should do or simply ok and just due to aftermarket belt (old belt was only 10k old and but was genuine and had no rubbing marks)

DSC_1772_zpskvlnt0rp.jpg

DSC_1770_zpsdqdioy2p.jpg

Can you feel any impression with your finger? i.e. Has it worn a groove in the rubber of the belt? If not I really wouldn't worry.

330i. E30 Touring.
Can you feel any impression with your finger? i.e. Has it worn a groove in the rubber of the belt? If not I really wouldn't worry.

I would.

Should never rub. You've probably routed the belt wrong.

It won't fit another way, the lengths are all wrong.
If there's no damage to the rubber by now there's no reason to think it would suddenly change. Clearance on mine was very tight when I did mine, 20k miles later and it's still fine.

03 clio sport asc
I cant feel a groove but it defiantly touches ever so slightly, is it possible to move the alternator up therefore making the belt tighter but away from the tensioner. Its 100% not loose but as far as i can tell the job is doesn't require you to position the alternator in a special way, the tensioner should in a perfect word simply tension the belt! thought?

Sounds like something isn't right then - might be worth loosening it all off and trying to nudge the tensioner across slightly, if it's making a groove in the belt it needs sorting really, don't want that snapping!

Clio 172
It won't fit another way, the lengths are all wrong.
If there's no damage to the rubber by now there's no reason to think it would suddenly change. Clearance on mine was very tight when I did mine, 20k miles later and it's still fine.

I have managed to route the aux belt the wrong way in a moment of stupidity.

I have managed to route the aux belt the wrong way in a moment of stupidity.
Really? I couldn't get mine routed any other way, I was half-tempted to try when it proved such a b**ch to tension up with a new belt.

Clio 172
Really? I couldn't get mine routed any other way, I was half-tempted to try when it proved such a b**ch to tension up with a new belt.
When it went on so tight I started to doubt it was right so double checked and realised it was wrong, it then went on even tighter the correct way around

Haha, sounds familiar! I knew I had it right because I had the manual, but it was so tight I broke the tensioner the first time out, luckily I could re-use the old one and just replace the sprung bit...