ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized aux belt tensioner?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I got hold of a 2nd hand aux belt tensioner.
I did tag this onto a previous post of somebody else's but nobody responded.
The black part thats held in with a bearing clip. Is it supposed to spin freely? I think it is supposed to, but just want confirmation.
It doesn't look rusty so maybe just needs a bit if lube?
Collage_20240212_142424.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I got hold of a 2nd hand aux belt tensioner.
I did tag this onto a previous post of somebody else's but nobody responded.
The black part thats held in with a bearing clip. Is it supposed to spin freely? I think it is supposed to, but just want confirmation.
It doesn't look rusty so maybe just needs a bit if lube? View attachment 1680073
I’m 99.9% sure that bush is meant to be tight in the body of the tensioner. The circlip is there to hold it in place.

To facilitate belt removal with the tensioner tool, it must be able to move and pivot as needed. So it’s fixed in with a partially threaded bolt - see picture below. I can remember it never fully tightening, so it rattles slightly.

Here’s a side view of it fitted to my engine.

IMG_2603.jpeg

You can see it just to the bottom left of tensioner spring held in with the Allen bolt. The bolt only goes in so far. So the bush moves around the bolt.

Here’s a picture of the bolt.

IMG_2604.jpeg

It was a few years ago mind, but I do remember it never fully tightening. I remember stuff like that 😂

Happy to be corrected though.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for the reply 👍
I have another one where it does move freely, as in this video.
So the one that doesn't move at all must be seized? I've just given it a good soaking in plus gas and see if it does free up.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Throw my reply in the bin then 😂
You're reply was a bit confusing actually after I read it a couple of times.
At first you say you're 99.9% sure the bush should be tight in the body of the tensioner.
Then you said it should be able to move so it can pivot.
I'm assuming it's not supposed to pivot on the bolt, more like the bolt is tight but the bush itself pivots, which makes more sense to me.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
You're reply was a bit confusing actually after I read it a couple of times.
At first you say you're 99.9% sure the bush should be tight in the body of the tensioner.
Then you said it should be able to move so it can pivot.
I'm assuming it's not supposed to pivot on the bolt, more like the bolt is tight but the bush itself pivots, which makes more sense to me.
It was early hours, I needed a wee and I'm old.

I imagine if yours is seized, then that'll be why it was sold.

Stick a new one on. Less risky.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
It should be free moving yeah.

That's what it pivots round when the spring is moving up and down i'm sure.

@Brigsy
Not had the pleasure of doing an ac aux setup. Id expect it to move though. Common for them to seize up apparantly, not sure if it means this bush or the tensioner pivot

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Not had the pleasure of doing an ac aux setup. Id expect it to move though. Common for them to seize up apparantly, not sure if it means this bush or the tensioner pivot
I'm assuming when people say their Aux belt tensioner has seized they mean the bush.