ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

android or symbian phone

its been sometime since ive had a new phone ive a ipod touch which means i don't want an iphone so i was considering something android from o2 i quite like the xperia x10 but not sure if theirs a better choice

i guess symbian hasn't really moved on much since my n81 although im tempted to see what they like now they offer touch

an wm wont have enough to keep me interested

other normal choices sony Ericsson elm or w995 as these are close replacments to my k750i which im hoping to replace

easy to install(drag drop install ) content good media player nice camera fair battery life

Last edited:
Sell the touch and buy an iPhone? Saves you carrying 2 things.

But otherwise, Android > Symbian.

i doubt id get a free/cheap one from o2 tbh hopefully i can with the xperia or a nokia x6 as it sounds alright

not sure about htc though would i get a better phone over the xperia

i think a vivaz would be poor option when i could get something better like the x6

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
I have an HTC desire. The biggest thing for me initially, and the thing that made me start to dislike the iphone orignially was the ability to be a good PHONE, you know.....for making calls. All my friends iPhones have very poor call quality and suck at keeping signal

tiTTy & SV650
I've got the vivaz on o2, it's no iphone. But the software is symbian in a SE style and so far pretty robust. The camera is brilliant.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
i doubt id get a free/cheap one from o2 tbh hopefully i can with the xperia or a nokia x6 as it sounds alright

not sure about htc though would i get a better phone over the xperia

i think a vivaz would be poor option when i could get something better like the x6

Think you can get the 3G for free right now and I bet in June you'll be able to get a 3GS for free. Refurbed but they are as new

Last edited:
I have an HTC desire. The biggest thing for me initially, and the thing that made me start to dislike the iphone orignially was the ability to be a good PHONE, you know.....for making calls. All my friends iPhones have very poor call quality and suck at keeping signal

good solid phone with okay battery like i guess all android are the same internally with tweaked casing an ui ?

I've got the vivaz on o2, it's no iphone. But the software is symbian in a SE style and so far pretty robust. The camera is brilliant.

looks nice the x6 sounds better but its no real upgrade from the n81 ive already have your need to hack or have a dev cert to use the limited catalogue of content available

have you been able to find many apps ?

Think you can get the 3G for free right now and I bet in June you'll be able to get a 3GS for free. Refurbed but they are as new

3gs are nice but ive got an ipod touch which does everthing i want i may as well have something diffrent to use along side it

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
already hearing of reliability problems from the X10, typical of sony erricson really. Shame as on paper it's a very powerful handset and it's a pretty piece of kit too. hopefully it's just launch glitches

already hearing of reliability problems from the X10, typical of sony erricson really. Shame as on paper it's a very powerful handset and it's a pretty piece of kit too. hopefully it's just launch glitches

the software updates has put me off slightly as most apps will require 2.1 software

it sounds the most reliable se to date what type of glitchs ?

182FF with cup packs
good solid phone with okay battery like i guess all android are the same internally with tweaked casing an ui ?

Nope, the innards can be pretty different. A lot of them are running the 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, but there are still plenty of others running slower chips.

The HTC desire & Google Nexus One are pretty much the same internally though, but the actual OS is slightly different, HTC overlays the Sense UI which is pretty nice, Sony have their own as well (though the X10 only runs 1.6 for the moment, most of the delay in gettin gthe X10 to 2.1 or 2.2 is because they hav to make sure their custom ui works properly)

I liked the Sense UI from the HTC desire s much that I loaded a custom ROM onto my Nexus One which allowed me to run the Sense UI on it.

The best thing to do is try multiple phones out and go for the one you are most comfortable with.

Last edited:
ture i just fancy using it for web browseing gaming an music an phone calls while using a nice theme

to much choice i thought the x10 was the one i wanted

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S sport
The X10 is an excellent phone when it works. I'm on my 3rd one now due to software/battery overheating problems. The battery life is terrible, it needs charging every day. But all the bits it does are great and the camera's very good too.

The X10 I have now seems to be working fine, fingers crossed.

I love Android, but I think the HTC Desire is probably a better phone, and in hindsight I'd have gone for that one.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The X10 is an excellent phone when it works. I'm on my 3rd one now due to software/battery overheating problems. The battery life is terrible, it needs charging every day. But all the bits it does are great and the camera's very good too.

I love Android, but I think the HTC Desire is probably a better phone, and in hindsight I'd have gone for that one.

I wonder if your X10 has the same software bug the Hero's suffer from

Dialler app keeps getting opened when you have the messages open, and even if you kill it off it still stays open. Replaced the default app with HandCent SMS and the battery life is now awesomes

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Android will be the market leader soon, according to a lot of articles. I've never been a fan of Symbian ever since my N80, it was so poor at holding on to battery life and it was dead slow as well.

Apple will be good too, once HTML5 becomes the standard as opposed to Flash. Lots of good choices out there, try them both but avoid Symbian.

my n81 is still really good on battery life it will last a good few days im waiting on an email with written prices for

nokia x6
xperia x10 low chance due to bugs an software worrys
Htc desire
sony erricson elm an w995 just to see how expensive they

Last edited:
  dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I don't know what the hell was wrong with my N80 then, I replaced the battery twice and after a call or two the battery drained like fook. Stupid phone.

Listerine & Poledo

wow you get a whole day out of an X10!

that' pretty good. If used as intended (with timescape running, using Wi-fi whereI can) then getting through the working day after an overnight charge would be a surprise!

hmm id like a few days battery life so if i dont use it an even turn 3g & wifi off an brightness down the desire will still need charging :(

182FF with cup packs
If you want a smartphone, you won't be getting "a few days" battery life no matter which one you go for unless you turn most of the functions off.

The only way to increase it massivly is to prevent it from updating/syncing in the background, to keep WiFi and GPS and bluetooth turned off, but if you do all that, then what's the point in having a smartphone in the first place.

I can get 24 hours out of my Nexus One as long as I'm careful, but I use an auto-cpu clocker which drops the cpu speed to 300mhz when the phone is idle. If I massively cane the 3g connectivity I can wipe an entire charge out in a couple of hours.

182FF with cup packs
As I use my mobile as my alarm clock I actually sprung for the desktop dock for it, i just dump my phone onto it every night and voilá it charges.

heres what o2 have come back to me with :eek:

W995 £85.10
Sony Ericson X10 £85.10
HTC Desire £85.10
Nokia X6 £85.10
Sony Ericson Elm Free of Charge