ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annoyed at PS3

SLK 350
I'd just love to hear some contructive points when criticising the PS3, or anything else. Shortage of games (as has been mentioned multiple times), and a relatively infant PS Store. That to one side IMO there are no negatives.

It comes with everything you need, theres no requirement for buying additional hardware to get you on the free multiplayer service/internet, you can bang Linux on there a piece of cake and all of a sudden you have a fully functional media hub, with Blue-Ray, wifi and all in a nice sleek black box.

So what's this list of bad points?

Those of you waiting for a price drop of £100 have a long wait IMO, as KDF pointed out for whats included in the PS3 £350-£400 is nothing, and I'd love to watch you try and build a PC/Media center for less with that spec.

VaVa
You say putting shortage of games to one side.... Why else do you buy a f**king games console?

That may be the only thing you'll recognise as a negative but it's a f**king big one as far as I'm concerned!!

The PS3 has the potential to be awesome. No doubt. I'm not one waiting for the price to fall (although it will) I'm waiting for some decent titles to appear for it.

And I agree for what the PS3 can do the money isn't that bad.... but what you must realise is that most people will use the PS3 in isolation as a games console... which makes £400 a bit steep for most people.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'd just love to hear some contructive points when criticising the PS3, or anything else. Shortage of games (as has been mentioned multiple times), and a relatively infant PS Store. That to one side IMO there are no negatives.

It comes with everything you need, theres no requirement for buying additional hardware to get you on the free multiplayer service/internet, you can bang Linux on there a piece of cake and all of a sudden you have a fully functional media hub, with Blue-Ray, wifi and all in a nice sleek black box.

So what's this list of bad points?

Those of you waiting for a price drop of £100 have a long wait IMO, as KDF pointed out for whats included in the PS3 £350-£400 is nothing, and I'd love to watch you try and build a PC/Media center for less with that spec.

What you've posted there is the sort of thing a Sony fanboy geek would post. That's far to hardcore for the the majority of people. The PS1 and PS2 were popular because the average bloke in the street understood it. He knew what he was getting. He got a nice box that could play the odd DVD on and let him play a racing game, a footy game and a fighting game. That's the market Sony created with the Playstation. That's why they sold so many and became cool amongst the 20 something's. Talking in the pub about a PS2 was acceptable. Talking about how you've put Linux on your PS3 to enable you to stream videos and serve media to half your house isn't mainstream. It's hardcore, and that doesn't sell in numbers, which is what we are seeing already.

With the PS2 Vs Xbox war the Xbox was seen as the geeks choice and wasn't cool, that's done an about face now with the 360 being the easy option for gaming and the PS3 the techy choice. The only reason there's still such a lot of interest is because of it's name, people still associate the Playstation brand with a cool machine with great games.

The PS3 is currently everything to a few and nothing to the masses.

You know where I work and what we do. In my office are 80 staff. 2 have bought PS3!!! That speaks volumes, even uber geeks can't be bothered until it gets some decent games.

You keep accusing a lot of people of bashing the PS3, yet you constantly evangalise about it till your blue in the face.

You spent your money, you are happy with your purchase, you don't need to keep justifying it over and over again though.

R

rich[182]

Biggest single mistake with the PS3 imo is the inclusion of the very thing that Sony assumed would be it's trump card, ie the Blu-Ray drive

It's inclusion from a £ point of view is an amazing achievement considering the price of 1st gen standalone players, however the consumer like options, added to this Joe Public either not interested or confused about the format war then Sony should have released the PS3 for £275 with option of an external drive like the 360, people may have been more forgiving about the lack of games, it's the forcing of Blu-Ray (a yet unratified standard technically) at £400 + few games that's annoying, as Joe Public prob feel they are paying over £100 for something which COULD become the 2nd choice of HD DVD within 12 months

SLK 350
Lee I was right with you up until the point your last few sentences.

You're accusing me of attacking people for making half arsed stupid comments about the PS3?

Coming into a thread and posting something along the lines of "The PS3 sucks balls" / "The PS3 is lame, face it" / "360 ftw, PS3 kiss my anus" is going to provoke the same question time and time again...which is what I've been looking for the whole time; someone to actually construct something worth reading with their bullshit propoganda to one side.

As for being an evangelist well if thats an umbrella term for asking for facts as opposed to peoples bullsh1t opinion (who haven't owned a PS3, but heard it on the 360 forums) then I'll continue to do so.

Same thing for the PS3, and the same thing for a 197/CTR...people love to b**ch without knowing close to half the facts, then when questioned about their belief they give you the blank face.

Laingo - Actually I bought the PS3 primarily for its HD capable output, and secondary for it's use as a console. I was orginally looking at a 360 but was somewhat put of by having to buy HD-DVD drive, a Wireless addon, and the fact that there's no HDMI (elite coming when?), it's sub-standard 640kbps sound output, and the fact that it sounds like a hair dryer as the fans spin up.

So in that case, you're right in saying I didn't buy it to play games on solely.

Last edited:
  SLK 350
rich[182];2786001 said:
Biggest single mistake with the PS3 imo is the inclusion of the very thing that Sony assumed would be it's trump card, ie the Blu-Ray drive

It's inclusion from a £ point of view is an amazing achievement considering the price of 1st gen standalone players, however the consumer like options, added to this Joe Public either not interested or confused about the format war then Sony should have released the PS3 for £275 with option of an external drive like the 360, people may have been more forgiving about the lack of games, it's the forcing of Blu-Ray (a yet unratified standard technically) at £400 + few games that's annoying, as Joe Public prob feel they are paying over £100 for something which COULD become the 2nd choice of HD DVD within 12 months

And you're perhaps forgetting that the PS3 games use Blue Ray discs, meaning 50gb capacity rather than having to cram things onto a DL DVD.

Personally If it hadn't have been built in, I'd have probably not bought it in the first place. I want a sleek all-in-one solution without the need for buying XYZ (case in point, Xbox 1 the DVD enabling money spinning bull). Out of the box it does what it says, which is a good thing IMO.

But as above, I bought it primarily as a HD platform, and not a games console, so maybe for those like Laingo who want simply a games console, then maybe that would be to his liking.

SLK 350
Backwards compatibility has been sorted since the 1.70 firmware update.

As a company though I agree with you, they're not a company I generally like. They've shafted customers over numerous products, and even my Sony MP3 player is crippled because of their CRAP Sonicstage software, using iTunes with my iPod is worlds apart.

Oh and again...Lik Sang, they killed that company with their corperate bullshit, but yet Lik Sang found that many of their senior management had used Lik Sang themselves to buy many products before their UK release dates - scumbags!

SLK 350
The Xbox had a HDD, it was also capable of playing DVD straight out of the box except MS decided they'd like to charge people £30 for the privilege. The PS2 didn't have a HDD, it therefore relied on memory cards.

Whats your point?

VaVa
The point is you still had to shell out £30 to use the PS2 properly, same as the Xbox.

What good is a games amchine without memory? You mean to tell me they couldn't have incorporated 64mb of memeory onboard? Of course they could... but that wouldn't have earned them an extra £30 for every console sold. More 'money spinning bull' as you call it.

We all know M$ are money grabbing b******s... but don't try and paint a picture that Sony aren't .

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I've already decided i'll be getting a PS3.. just dont know when..

All this costs vs. features thing is crap.. the elite came out with 120gb because thats what the 360 *SHOULD* have been.. and they couldn't even get that right as the elite *SHOULD* have been shipped with the HDDVD drive alreay installed internally.. not this stupid plug in add on box crap.. same goes with wireless..

PS. I own a 360, have owned a Wii (even that came with wirelss FFS) and I dont own a PS3 (yet)

PS. Think the batteries are goin on my wireless keyboard.. scuse the missing letters ;)

VaVa
Yes.. You can see it as the 360 having a lack of features... or you could say that the main market for these consoles couldn't care less about wireless connectivity... So a £200 console is ideal for them and having things like wifi/HD DVD missing keeps the cost down...

Always difficult to get these points across because nearly everyone who come in this forum will know and use wifi/HD etc....

Whereas 90% of my mates couldn't give a toss about it... And they are in the majority. They have a 360. They put a game in and play it. They don't put music on it. They don't stream music/video from a PC. They don't feel the need to go on Xbox live.

So most of the *features* of the PS3 are a waste of their hard earned.

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Seriously.. how much do you think it costs to implement wireless chip to a motherboard on a mass scale such as the 360 ? I would hazard a guess that it would be somwhere around the $5 range.. (yes dollar) not the £60 they charge you for the plugin (yes another plugin) wireless dongle.

That £60 is 1/3 the cost of a brand new Wii with the bundled games etc !

SLK 350
But that's exactly what I am saying with the PS3 girlfriend, you don't need to buy a single item to enable functions or to expand on it's uses. You open the box, you plug it in and it does what it says.

The same cannot be said for the 360, the point I'm making. People love to bang on about £350 is a lot for a console, but in actual fact:

360 Premium
HD-DVD
Wireless adapter
Xbox Live

And then you're getting the same services as the PS3 has to offer that every PS3 user gets out of the box.

Oh and then there's the ability to use practically any Bluetooth/USB device with the PS3 instead of having to buy bespoke 1st party hardware.

Just a lot easier to have it there in the first place, without the hidden costs of the 360.

VaVa
But that's exactly what I am saying with the PS3 girlfriend, you don't need to buy a single item to enable functions or to expand on it's uses. You open the box, you plug it in and it does what it says.

The same cannot be said for the 360, the point I'm making. People love to bang on about £350 is a lot for a console, but in actual fact:

360 Premium
HD-DVD
Wireless adapter
Xbox Live

And then you're getting the same services as the PS3 has to offer that every PS3 user gets out of the box.

Oh and then there's the ability to use practically any Bluetooth/USB device with the PS3 instead of having to buy bespoke 1st party hardware.

Just a lot easier to have it there in the first place, without the hidden costs of the 360.

Aaaaaghh!!

Get it into your head. It is a lot of money if you're not going to use half of the extra features you're paying for!!! The majority of people are still without a HDTV!!!

have to admit the lack of wireless is a fooking rip off. But it's a luxury rather than a necessity I guess.

I'll probs get a PS3 at christmas.... i've played a couple but you need to live them to really compare them.

Last edited:

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S
I've had my moneys worth from my PS3 already, just playing Resistance online. No other games have had a look in on my console, I'm bloody addicted to the online version! :) Someone better come and take it away before I get thrown out my house! :eek:

However I do think the PS3 is too expensive (note I didn't say overpriced - think what you're getting for your money here), and as with the PS2 better games will come out in due course, but I don't think the PS3 will be the legend that the PS2 was.

Either way - horses for courses - I don't care what other people think - I love it :cool:

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
Yes.. You can see it as the 360 having a lack of features... or you could say that the main market for these consoles couldn't care less about wireless connectivity... So a £200 console is ideal for them and having things like wifi/HD DVD missing keeps the cost down...

Always difficult to get these points across because nearly everyone who come in this forum will know and use wifi/HD etc....

Whereas 90% of my mates couldn't give a toss about it... And they are in the majority. They have a 360. They put a game in and play it. They don't put music on it. They don't stream music/video from a PC. They don't feel the need to go on Xbox live.

So most of the *features* of the PS3 are a waste of their hard earned.

the reason the HD-DVD drive was not in built in the Elite was because if it flops they will be releasing a Blu-ray version instead.

360 Premium
HD-DVD
Wireless adapter
Xbox Live

like i said if you got the money its great hardware but the software is the let down, and im not talking about games which everyone else is.

P.S. is any PS3 owners gonna be angry at the 80GB version to be released on June 16?

Last edited:
  SLK 350
Aaaaaghh!!

Get it into your head. It is a lot of money if you're not going to use half of the extra features you're paying for!!! The majority of people are still without a HDTV!!!

Get what into my head?

I'm talking about why I bought it, I do have a HDTV, I am technically savvy, and I do use it for all it's intended to do so.

If I wanted to perform the same tasks on the 360 (which I couldn't anyway) I'd have had to spend £220 and that's after spending £200+ on the console in the first place.

I understand the console isn't for everyone in that, people could happily pay £180 on a Wii and get an out and out games console with very little additional use, but that's not who or what the PS3 is aimed at. It's marketed as a high-end media hub, not just a games console.

Octy VRS
I waited for the PS3 to be released but nearly bought a 360 when the release date was put back. I held out though and am glad I did. I'm not a hardcore gamer but do love to give it a bash when I have free time and I love it. RFOM is the best game out at the moment but it's great fun and great looking. There will be some great stuff to come too I'm sure. I'm one of the few who is using it to playback media, mainly Lost and some movies and it's great for it.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Pointless buying the 360 or the PS3 if you do not have a HDTV to use with it. People would be better of playing the PS2 and Xbox.

I do not believe that the majority of 360 and PS3 owners do not own a HDTV. If that's true then I feel sorry for them.

As for the 80gb PS3, it makes no difference to me or anyone as I can fit a larger HDD if I ever wish to.

SLK 350
the reason the HD-DVD drive was not in built in the Elite was because if it flops they will be releasing a Blu-ray version instead.

Wrong! MS have completely denied any such move in an official statement. They didn't incorperate HD-DVD because it's making them a nice bit of additional cash.

Caramel said:
like i said if you got the money its great hardware but the software is the let down, and im not talking about games which everyone else is.

P.S. is any PS3 owners gonna be angry at the 80GB version to be released on June 16?

So I'm assuming you're talking about XMB? If so what version have you used, It's been improved a lot since the early days and will soon be overhauled with version 2.0.

P.S Not too fussed, If and when I run out of space I'll drop a new HD in there :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
And not get banned from their paid live service for doing it..

I will say one thing though.. M$ got the whole live/gamertag etc thing right..

I hope Sony copy them.. would make a change ;)

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
Wrong! MS have completely denied any such move in an official statement. They didn't incorperate HD-DVD because it's making them a nice bit of additional cash.

Caramel said:

So I'm assuming you're talking about XMB? If so what version have you used, It's been improved a lot since the early days and will soon be overhauled with version 2.0.

P.S Not too fussed, If and when I run out of space I'll drop a new HD in there :)

official statements mean nothing, so you believe they will come out and say just in case HD-DVD fails we are not gonna put one in, and we will put a Blu-ray one in later. come on man stop get taken in by the marketing. you are a marketers dream customer

as for the PS3 software as a whole no matter which version you have it will not top the 360 set-up "end off" microsoft have done unique stuff which cannot be copied, e.g. XboxLive,Achievements, community etc etc.

man who wears the trousers in you relationship? the PS3 or you? you stick up for it like its your life. i do not know one person with both consoles that prefers the PS3

Last edited:
  SLK 350
Caramel it doesn't matter how many posts you make, I still can't see a single valid point of FACT that isn't debatable. Your posts hold about as much water as a sieve.

I'm willing to bet my grandma that MS will never release a BD drive, and if they did it would be a farce. Pretty sure that Sony would do everything they could to stop it from happening aswell.

Please elaborate on the flaws of the PS3 UI, as it's becoming increasingly apparent that you have no idea, and more so that you've never actually used a PS3.

Civic Si
Pointless buying the 360 or the PS3 if you do not have a HDTV to use with it. People would be better of playing the PS2 and Xbox.

I do not believe that the majority of 360 and PS3 owners do not own a HDTV. If that's true then I feel sorry for them.

thats the most ridiculous statement in this thread!

i own a 360, and do not have a HDTV, but still enjoy playing on my 360.
im not saying i wouldnt say no to a HDTV, but to say it's pointless to own a 360 or PS3 if you dont own one is retarded.

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
Caramel it doesn't matter how many posts you make, I still can't see a single valid point of FACT that isn't debatable. Your posts hold about as much water as a sieve.

I'm willing to bet my grandma that MS will never release a BD drive, and if they did it would be a farce. Pretty sure that Sony would do everything they could to stop it from happening aswell.

Please elaborate on the flaws of the PS3 UI, as it's becoming increasingly apparent that you have no idea, and more so that you've never actually used a PS3.

each to their own then mate, im pretty sure i have an idea having actually owning one, i have the right to voice my opinion as i own all three of the 7th gen consoles, so by playing them i can make my own opninion. so far the only ppl backing the PS3 with all their might dont have a 360, which isnt fair. if you look at my posts in the early days i was sticking up for the ps3, and i still do but in my opinion the 360 is better. you dont need to reply to this, as its my opinion.

Citroen DS3 DSport
im not saying i wouldnt say no to a HDTV, but to say it's pointless to own a 360 or PS3 if you dont own one is retarded.

It's a waste of a good system and pointless. The entire idea is to deliver HD graphics, why waste them with a SD TV?

Yaris Hybrid
I think people would be surprised at how large a percentage of PS3/360 owners are only playing in SD. That is probably why people can't tell that the graphics on the launch PS3 games smell a bit compared to the 360 launch titles.

I am still holding off and playing on the PS2 at the moment. I have to say as things stand I will be buying another 360 as when it comes to my requirements the 360 beats the PS3 in every area so far. That is ignoring the price issue, take that into account and Sony are not doing anywhere near enough to win me over. Still I will give it til the end of the year...

My bro has both and he is always on the 360.

SLK 350
Caramel lets av it then, pictures of all your consoles with a Cliosport banner next to them. Be nice to get a good look at them all.

SLK 350
Personally I wouldn't have even bothered buying a 360 or PS3 without first buying a HDTV.

Same here, that's the only thing that stopped me buying earlier. Needed a HDTV and a decent 5.1 system to make it worthwhile from my POV.

VaVa
Nor I. But the majority of people out there don't have HDTV. Which makes Blu-ray and HD-DVD a bit of a waste of time for a lot of people. Nice that the 360 gives you the choice ;), also nice that the PS3 is future proof to a certain extent.

pays your money takes your choice.

Civic Si

It's a waste of a good system and pointless. The entire idea is to deliver HD graphics, why waste them with a SD TV?

unfortunately i couldnt afford to buy a 360 and a HDTV.. so my old tv will be fine until i get one. to say i may as well play on an xbox instead is stupid, go and play on a 360 on a normal tv and then a normal xbox... big difference

Citroen DS3 DSport
Ok ok I may have been slightly hasty but it was keeping in spirit with the claims of others in this thread :D

Save up and buy a HDTV, you'll love the difference.