ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annual mileage change in insurance policy

Just wondering if anyone has ever or at least tried to alter their estimated annual mileage in their insurance policies. If so, did it effect the cost of the premium at all?

I may end up covering more mileage than expected and exceeding the mileage I told my current insurers I'd cover in the year.

MR2 Mk1.5
It will vary wildly from company to company so someone else's answer will not help you.

The bare bones are, if you want to be legally covered and you are covering more miles then you stated, you must declare it.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
How will a company know, given that they don't know the mileage of a car to start with?

It will vary wildly from company to company so someone else's answer will not help you.

The bare bones are, if you want to be legally covered and you are covering more miles then you stated, you must declare it.

Ah ok, thanks, I'll give them a bell when their office is open tomorrow. Thanks! :)

How will a company know, given that they don't know the mileage of a car to start with?

They knew what the mileage of the car was when I took the policy out.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The thing is if they usually use certain brackets, 1-5k 5-10k and so on.

Probably won't make a difference.

clio 182
i changed from 5k a year to 10k a year when i renewed. when it was 5k a year i had to fill out a mileage form but when i changed to 10k a year i had no mileage form to complete!

this was with the same insurance company and i was told the difference would be pennies between the two.

just phone and ask, you dont have to do it if its too expensive!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Unless they install a tracker, you can tell them you do 2,000 miles and actually do 100,000, they ain't gonna know.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
When I asked my insurer what happened if I exceeded my estimated mileage they said not to worry, they were much more worried if my occupation changed! Apparently my cover is unlimited mileage with a 10k estimate!

Do they actually check or care?

I had an Ibiza Cupra in 2001. Brand new. Told them I would do 10,000 a year. Crashed it in year 2 with 38,000 miles on it. They paid out no worries.

Car was two years old, with almost 40k on a 10k a year policy.

On another note, I tried to change my wife's mileage from 2k a year to 10k a year as she was using the car a lot more. Overseas call centre. After about 10 minutes of trying to have the operator understand what I was trying to do, I gave up and never bothered.

MR2 Mk1.5

I had an Ibiza Cupra in 2001. Brand new. Told them I would do 10,000 a year. Crashed it in year 2 with 38,000 miles on it. They paid out no worries.

In this case you have been lucky I feel.

You have been lucky, that doesn't mean that the next ClioSport member who goes down this route will be. Insurers can and will carry out some very careful examinations and investigations. Fair play it worked for you but ( and I am not meaning to be rude or personal), you should keep your opinions on potentially void insurance polices to yourself and not publicise them to others on a public forum.

On another note, I tried to change my wife's mileage from 2k a year to 10k a year as she was using the car a lot more. Overseas call centre. After about 10 minutes of trying to have the operator understand what I was trying to do, I gave up and never bothered.

Ahh the joys of foreign call centres..

In this case I wiuld suggest that the cheapest policy you find on an internet comparision site may not necessarily be the best, again no offence meant at all.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

MR2 Mk1.5
When I asked my insurer what happened if I exceeded my estimated mileage they said not to worry, they were much more worried if my occupation changed! Apparently my cover is unlimited mileage with a 10k estimate!

I'd be after that in writing Will, what happens if you claim and they check the mileage is over what you stated you would do, you would not have a leg to stand on if they refused to pay out for your claim.

MR2 Mk1.5
When i got my policy the milage made about £5 a yr difference

yes, with a lot of insurers, an increase in mileage may not cost mega bucks and for the sake of having a valid policy if you claim, I know what I'd be doing if I was nearing my mileage allocation.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
That's why you should go with massive companies who aren't arsey about the tiny details. No offence Sky, but if you're going to tell a white lie, it's definitely better to insure with Admiral group lol.

In this case you have been lucky I feel.

You have been lucky, that doesn't mean that the next ClioSport member who goes down this route will be. Insurers can and will carry out some very careful examinations and investigations. Fair play it worked for you but ( and I am not meaning to be rude or personal), you should keep your opinions on potentially void insurance polices to yourself and not publicise them to others on a public forum.

Ahh the joys of foreign call centres..

In this case I wiuld suggest that the cheapest policy you find on an internet comparision site may not necessarily be the best, again no offence meant at all.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

First off Ollie, I wasn't encouraging others to do this. If anyone chooses to deliberately lie about their mileage then so be it, I'm sure it won't be due to reading my post.

Second, it wasnt the cheapest policy my wife had, and wasn't taken out through an internet comparison site. It was a well known company who obviously use overseas contact centres to save money.

MR2 Mk1.5
That's why you should go with massive companies who aren't arsey about the tiny details. No offence Sky, but if you're going to tell a white lie, it's definitely better to insure with Admiral group lol.

yes and no, my company may be small in comparison to the likes of the company you have mentioned but the underwriters we deal with are most certainly not.

MR2 Mk1.5
First off Ollie, I wasn't encouraging others to do this. If anyone chooses to deliberately lie about their mileage then so be it, I'm sure it won't be due to reading my post.

Second, it wasnt the cheapest policy my wife had, and wasn't taken out through an internet comparison site. It was a well known company who obviously use overseas contact centres to save money.

As I say, no offence meant although I understand you batting this back at me.
I just wanted to point it out as a lot of people read things on forums and take them as gospel, I see this time and time again.

The main point I was making is what worked for you may not necessarily work for someone else, and if me posting up makes the difference for one person getting a pay out if they wreck their pride and joy, then that is a positive.

Fair enough on point 2!

Kind regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance

no offence taken, I was merely defending that I wasn't encouraging others to lie about their mileage to save a few quid on their insurance.

MR2 Mk1.5
no offence taken, I was merely defending that I wasn't encouraging others to lie about their mileage to save a few quid on their insurance.

To be fair, I didn't say you were, I said it was not a good idea to publicise them on a public forum.

To be fair, I didn't say you were, I said it was not a good idea to publicise them on a public forum.

ok, point taken, maybe not the most sensible thing I could have posted.

However, if anyone wants to lie about their mileage SKY is the best company...........................;)

Joke BTW

1.5dci
this has just made me think, i'm 95% sure my insurance company never asked for my mileage when i renewed, i just got a phone call, ended up being happy with what they suggested and said to carry it on, so i'm guessing any unused mileage from my last policy has been added to this years, as they'll be referring to the mileage i gave 12months.

Although i'll be well under, will be cutting down the mileage by 700miles a month next month

Clio 172 Cup
I put down 10k miles on my insurance and only covered about 4k max. Might try and get a refund lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I always estimate me millage to be 10k, but have yet to do less than 15k a year.

MR2 Mk1.5
I put down 10k miles on my insurance and only covered about 4k max. Might try and get a refund lol

I doubt very much you'll get a refund but if you think you'll be doing similar miles next year then it is worth looking at a resticted mileage policy :cool:

ive wondered this as i was considering a job that would double my estimated miles :eek:

my only theory unless you told them how many miles were on the clocks theirs very little they can use as a reference

better to be safe then sorry an tell them

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Also at time of policy it was your estimated millage.

ITB'd MK1
I wouldn't get paranoid about a couple of k a year either way personally unless it's actually a limit. An estimate of 10k is just that, an estimate. If you had a 3k a year restriction, and doing 10k then you have a problem. or similarly if you were doing 30k and told them you were doing 10k, that would be an out and out lie. Check the policy wording TBH, and if in doubt ask for their definition of "estimated mileage"

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Because the car was less than 3 years old, nobody but you knows the mileage. Thats why so many sub 3 yr old cars get clocked.

If an insurer wanted to, they've only got to check VOSA to see what mileage you do anually. (Provided you've owned the car a year obviously)

182 Trophy
Sky

How can you check what mileage people are doing if you dont know how many miles the car has done. In 6 years of insuring cars its a question i have NEVER been asked.

Lets just for aguments sake also say that i change my car every 10 months and i allways buy a car with a fresh MOT (and i also dont write the mileage down on the V5 when im buying the car)

Just intrested :)

Ford Mundano
i changed mine the other day. added other things too though. I added my milltek, went from 5k miles per annum to 8k, added class 1 business use 6 months into my policy with admiral and the changes cost me an extra £49. my original premium was £550ish i think. 23 year old 3 years no claims. Will be different depending on your circumstances but it shouldnt add too much. I bet at least half of the £49 was an admin fee too.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive never kept a car for the ful length of a policy, i have no idea how many miles i do a year lol

Just gave them a ring. It's an unlimited mileage policy and the only restrictions they have is on 3.5k and 5k mileage policies, so it doesn't matter if I go over my estimated mileage.

Happy days.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Flol. My mate set his to 3000 miles social only, but he actually does 20,000 miles and uses it solely for commuting. What a hero.