ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another D-SLR questions thread

It's all change for me and I'm finally letting the Panasonic FZ20 go. After 18 months I've managed nearly 50,000 photos and it's never missed a beat. £500 spent overall and I had huge range (more than I ever needed, from very wide angle through to about 600mm), and a very very good Macro attachment (Nikon 6T) all carried around in a space smaller than your average lunchbox. However I'm growing out of it a bit now and have been frustrated quite a bit by some of the limitations (such as being restricted to a maximum 8 seconds shutter speed, the limited depth of field and painful noise above ISO 100)

Before I fire off my questions I guess it's worth explaining why and what I want, as that should give people an idea of where I want to be.

Essentially I was hoping to upgrade to the newer Panasonic, but the forthcoming model appears to suffer hugely from pixel packing, it's essentially the FZ20 with several new features that I do want, but with 10MP from the same old sensor. 6MP and improved noise reduction at higher ISO's would have been preferred, but it's not happening. Therefore I am finally being lured the way of the D-SLR, although I've always been very reluctant in the past. My only problem is that I love various hugely differing fields of photography, macro, motorsports, landscapes, night shots etc...and that all equals ££££ in the realm of the SLR!

What I want:

- A decent body, obviously. 350D seems to be the popular choice.

- A good initial lens. Budget constraints probably mean I will be restricted to say, £300 on top of the body purchase at this point in time. I would rather go for one quality lens rather than a few cheap lenses to cover all my requirements, and as the motorsport season will be drawing to a close I would probably benefit from something at the wider end of the scale over Winter.

- A manageable way of using filters. Does anyone use a slot-in system instead of screw-ins? Using graduated filters with screw-ins is next to impossible so I would prefer to go down the slot-in route.

A red missile
The only negative thing i'd say about the 350D is the size of the thing, this will sound odd but it just doesnt 'feel' right, its quite a lot smaller than a traditional SLR camera and when i tried one it just felt like a big compact. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the operation/quality of images, especially for the price but to me it didn't feel right. My personal advice would be to go into a Jessops and look at a 350D alongside say a Nikon D70, prod them a bit and you'll see what i mean.

I'd take a look at http://www.ephotozineshop.com/ - im not saying its the best but i've always found the prices good and the people you speak to always know what they're talking about, you can get a good idea of costs - you are quite right on the subject of costs btw, D-SLR territory can get devastatingly expensive really quickly. I've just upgraded most of my stuff, couple of image stabilising lenses, new camera (EOS5D), new flashgun, that lot came in at around 4 grand (gulp) - as long as the missus doesn't find out i'll live much longer.

I've stuck with Canon because i've always had Canon, but after the fun police bought a nikon D70 i was tempted to change as at the time i was using a 300D and the Nikon is a better quality product but its all relative, again i'd try both and make your own mind up but i'd definately go either Canon or Nikon, there are others out there but those 2 have a massive amount of lenses/accessories and have just been around longer.

Best advice i can offer is poke/prod/try everything before you plunge one way or another - get it right and you'll be smiling so hard you'll hardly be able to see when the shots start hitting your screen, get it wrong and you'll be looking for a rope and a big tree!

Good call on the lenses as well, this is easy to say but the lens is the most important bit, always buy the best you can afford or you'll only end up buying new ones later - i did, but it sounds like you've sussed that one already - good call.:approve:

106 GTi
The restricting factor you will find Chris as said above is the Lenses. It is hard to get a decent quality lens of a decent fast enough speed with focal length for anyting lens than 400 quid suitable for motorsport to get a qulity of shots you will be happy with.

I tried a cheapish 70-300 Sigma first of all, soft over 200mm, and not fast enough to shoot on a dull day other than in sports mode. My camera seems to have been transformed by some decent glass.

Some comment on the 350 being a little small told hold compared to the D70 but go and try both before you buy. Bear in mind the D80 is due out soon.

As for filters some expensive Canons allow for drop in filters but most are screw on. I only use a filter if the conditions demand it.

A4 Avant
I bought the additional battery grip for £60 online. This transforms the feel of the camera! it's now a nice weight and size. You also have the option of fitting rechargable AA's in it incase you battery runs out whilst using the camera!

I have taken some awesome photos using my 350d and would definately recommend it!

al

ST on the way...
We've got a slot-in filter kit for our Dynax, i'll find the make of it for you fella, produces some excellent results!! :)

bb8b8066.gif

A red missile
Nige182 said:
I bought the additional battery grip for £60 online. This transforms the feel of the camera! it's now a nice weight and size. You also have the option of fitting rechargable AA's in it incase you battery runs out whilst using the camera!

I have taken some awesome photos using my 350d and would definately recommend it!

I did exactly the same with the 300D, made it feel perfect, especially like the additional buttons in the bottom right hand corner that allow a 90 degree rotation and retaining major functions. I will be doing the same with the 5D, annoyingly although it looks identical its slightly different to the BG-E1 that i bought for the 300 :mad: thats another couple of hundred quid then!

Silver 172 PhII
If you want to use larger lenses I think the grips are vital for the reasons stated above. They're not that expensive either. I got one after I spent the weekend with a press pass at the Leeds festival 2 years ago. After 3 straight days of takinng mostly portrait style shots with a big zoom and 550ex flash my arms were getting ready to fall off! having the alternate shutter release is a big plus.

Drop in filters come in 2 sorts. First type is the most common which is an adaptor that screws to the front of the lens allowing filers to be used on different lens sizes. Cokin make the most well known of these systems. The other sort is only found on expensive lenses with big front elements. Here the filter is put in a slot just behind the rear lense element and in front of the mirror. I'm pretty sure you'll only see this on very high end lenses eg, 300mm and 400mm f2.8.

As for lenses, taking the characteristics:

quick (in terms of aperture)
cheap
good

Lenses can only be two of these at once and not the third. So, if it's quick and good it certainly won't be cheap and so on...

I read everything here, do some research, the prices scare the crap out of me then I run off and look at high-end super-zooms instead! Seriously though, if I am going to be massively restricted financially is it really worthwhile? £300-400 is the sort of money I might pull together for a holiday once a year if I am lucky, yet one decent lens seems to eclipse that by some margin...even with the Cup going to sort out my finances I really wonder if I could get a decent system.

I also keep reading loads of accounts of people with the Panny FZ20 who have moved up to a 350D then moved back again within 6 months, not because it's poor, but because they find they stop taking pictures as much as they did with the FZ. The best balance most people have found is to keep the Panasonic and get a 350D as well, but I simply can't afford that.

Arse, I hate decisions!

Don't do it! It'll hurt your wallet! :rasp:

I'm in the process of deciding my next lense and its painful. To give you a rough idea I'm looking at the following:

Sport:
Canon 70-200mm f/4L - £440

Macro:
Canon 100mm f/2.8 - Nearly £400 with lense hood

Ultrade Wide Angle, fish eye/landscape
Canon EF-S 10mm-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM £400

The sigma equivalents are all around £100 less but I'm going to stick with Canon for some quality! I'd love to have all 3 now but 2 of them are going to have to wait some years!

One tip though, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a bargain, got mine picked up in Hong Kong for £40 and its excellent for learning apateurs and Depth of field also very sharpe, can be turned into a half decent macro with extension tubes...

Maybe I will get the FZ30 (or 50 if it turns out to be any good) which would mainly be financed by selling my current gear, then start putting away money to get a DSLR one day in the future.

Just thinking out loud! I can just see myself getting into debt if I get one looking at the prices you guys have posted, even if I do restrict myself to one or two things per year.

A red missile
Lee said:
I need to get a grip for my 350D. For the two reasons stated above.

I'd like it to be a little more substantial in my hand and also using a fast focusing lens like the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L USM lens really sucks battery power.

As well as a grip this is the next main purchase for me. Maybe next week depending. And it won't be from Jessops at that price!! http://www.jessops.com/Store/s30794/0/Lenses/Canon/EF-24-105mm-f-and-4-L-IS-USM-Lens/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=2&CatId=143&comp=y
Just bought that from warehouse express for £681 - Jessops are SUCH a rip off.

The ones im lusting after next are this one
and probably this one as well, i'll never have any money :(

63/500 said:
Just bought that from warehouse express for £681 - Jessops are SUCH a rip off.

The ones im lusting after next are this one
and probably this one as well, i'll never have any money :(

I'd say the Macro 180L isn't worth it unless you REALLY need THAT much reach.

Also since you've got the 350D a dedicated fish eye would be fun but for a fraction of the cost look at the 10-22mm EF-S zoom lens...

And if your buying from Jessops use this site http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ has a 10% discount code...

106 GTi
I am in the market for a grip for the 350D I dont have a problem with the 70-200 f4L on, but it really needs it with the 300 f4L. I am not going to add up what I have spent on glass in the last few months.

Brought the 70-200, to short, then 1.4 extender, still needed more reach, and finally the 300 prime and now just about happy!

Lee was tempted by that, but am just going to get a 17-40 f4L as I really miss the wide end from the kit lens.

14' Leon Cupra 280
If you get a good deal on the 17-40mm your sorted in the lower range for sure, but it think Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Wide Angle-Telephoto Zoom AF Lens is the one im after next. Gives more reach and covers all the range i need really at shows/events etc...id better get saving!

Lee

BMW M2C
WH173 said:
If you get a good deal on the 17-40mm your sorted in the lower range for sure, but it think Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Wide Angle-Telephoto Zoom AF Lens is the one im after next. Gives more reach and covers all the range i need really at shows/events etc...id better get saving!

That's what I was thinking. I want a lens I can pretty much leave on for all general stuff. That one should cover all of that.

I don't have any real use for a macro lens just yet so that can wait.

One of the lads I work with has just bough an extremely wide angle Canon lens (I can't remember which) but that's pretty amazing, as was refected in the price as usual.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Like most things you get what you pay for and only find out what quality is about when you push the boat out. I'll probably try and sell a few of my lenses in order to fund the 24-105, but i know it'll be the right move for the way i want to progress. I bought the 60mm macro lens thinking of cool shots with insects etc, but summers come and gone nearly without much interest and will get decent close ups with 300mm (to a certain extent).

I also went for the 20-35 basic lens, but find the range can get minimal even, though i knew that when i bought it. Most people know the quality of the kit lens so wont cover that and the 50mm 1.8 is good in low light and for portraits so would keep that anyway.

A red missile
I'm just itching to get to Africa in October to try this beasty

canon100-400lens.gif

Dabbled with it in vertical stabilisation only to try panning, what i'm hoping for is a killer pan shot of a fast moving big cat, been practising with cars on the motorway, you dont half get some funny looks standing in a field with a camera and a bloody great big lens for hours on end :)