ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another hot day, another steering wheel destroyed

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
sneeks said:
We should all group together and issue one huge complaint via the OFT

That could also be a very good idea. See what you OFT says, and if indeed Renault are responsible, tell him about the club and the problems other Clio owners are having and see if a 'group' complaint would be good and fair practice.

Ok I'll look into things and start putting something together later tonight. If possible I will need rough transcripts from calls to RUK or discussions with dealers (PM me if you like, I'm guessing I will need your full name at the very least). Some pics would also be fantastic, although I accept that it doesn't actually look as bad as it actually is in all cases.

For now though, I had a plan when I arrived at work this morning to control the spreading of my "leather-rot", it worked!

79468782-M.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
mines fooked too, getting a momo, but thats not the point, i'll add my name and any photos if need be

my right thumb grip torn to shreds. went a bit spongy, then cracked and now there's not much left of it. going to get it replaced next week (although it won't be me paying as it's leased). think its real crap that renault won't replace these but its things like this that remind me why i went for the leased option

i'll put my name down on any oft list you get together

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I've got a similar problem on my 02 plate 172. Parked up about a week ago one evening (in the shade) - next morning there was a split in the right grip. Two weeks later and almost half the grip has disintegrated... yet another poor piece of trim gone after (almost) 4 years and 36K miles.... Waiting to see what my dealer says - doesn't look good from the other experiences! Good job it's such fun to drive!!

Leon Cupra 300
What i cant understand is how come some dealers replace them and others don't. at end of the day its warrenty work and the dealer makes money from reno for doing it.

Has any one got a pic of thier knackered steering wheel ??
I've been reading about them, but haven't seen a pic.

Can some one post one up (out of curiosity) i'd like to see the knackered thumb grips too please.

182... again!
Both grips on mine (14K/15 months old) started to peel away during the heat! (bottom outside edges) Have glued them back down with epoxy resin tonight so shall see how it goes. Sometimes it seems easier to fix problems myself than keep going back to the dealer!!

Shouldn't be having these poor build quality hassles of course....

Leon Cupra 300
Mine will be going in next week sometime so will let you know what happens, im pretty convinced ill get a new one. just got to kick up enough fuss and be prepared to walk around the forecourt for half an hour telling everyone what a bunch of w4nkers they are if they dont!

Ad

MK2 FRS
Ambo said:
Both grips on mine (14K/15 months old) started to peel away during the heat! (bottom outside edges) Have glued them back down with epoxy resin tonight so shall see how it goes. Sometimes it seems easier to fix problems myself than keep going back to the dealer!!

Shouldn't be having these poor build quality hassles of course....

sometimes when they spilt in the centre though thats not possible.

Wonder how the french get on with them in their hotter climate.

koi

Audi S1
Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

My steering wheel has started to bubble from 12 to 4 o'clock, is there any6 kind of cleaning products I can use to tidy it up a bit?

BMW Z4 3.0i
I might try and clean mine with white spirit, apply the "cigar lighter" and let my car burn.

Shhh
My LH Rubber grip has split on the rear inside section, kinda annoying when turning the wheel as it catches the fingers.

Apart from that, no unusual wear and tear on the wheel.

Not gone to the dealer as i know what the answer would be, prob look to pick one up from eBay if possible and get it replaced.

Bye Bye 182....
Id be willing to complain on this and my uncle is a solicitor so draft a letter and I will get him to look over it for us if you like?

R26
YEH MY BLOODY STEERING WHEEL HAS SPLIT - RIGHT THUMB GRIP - Only done 36000 miles on a 54 plate - they are going to get me a new one.

Also my 2 Dynamiques steering wheels have dissolved on the right hand side as if acid has been poured on them!

Now i am really begining to understand that Renault can't build cars or parts for that matter of any decent quality.

How long before the next wheel goes ???? I will let you know.

Thumbs up for renault living up to their reputation though- real class act!

A new 197 - you must be joking!!!! 1 customer down!

Renault clio RSi 1.6 16v
I thought the bubbling etc was crap off the last owners hands thats got stuck to the wheel, untill on closer inspection it seemed the leather was actually bubling off the rim and going sticky. I managed to clean most of it off (removing some of the top layer of leather) afterwards it was like suede so I then polished the leather to 'flatten' the texture. Still noticeable but better, I remember feeling dissapointed by this afer owning a 100+k mile mazda with a virtually as new steering wheel.

BMW Z4 3.0i
You can actually see one of my fingerprints in the leather where I've been gripping on tight.

SLK 350
Can somebody get me a picture on this thread of the damage thumbgrip and what one should look like in normal condition please.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
cups and FF

i have pics at home, ill upload later.

Letter almost completed also, so parties that wish to be mentioned in it, please PM your home address for inclusion in the letter and cc.

ta muchly

c

Nissan 350Z
My right hand side thumbgrip has split after 14,000 miles. Tried to glue it shut but that lasted not very long. Steering wheel looks a mess. Havent been to dealers yet, but add my name if you wish.

MKIII 138
my FF172MKII never had any probs in 40k miles, also if your car sits in 100deg temps with no airflow whasoever then any melting is expected. the problem is our country you cant leave your windows even 1/2 inch down on each side for cool air to blow and hot air to escape without fear of some scrot breaking in your car

btw i live up north and its a lot cooler and we have loads of water muahah

DC5
My thumb grips haven't split, but the steering wheel has bubbled at about the 3 and 9 position, right where you put your hands, it is also starting to go at the bottom. Is that good enough to be included in the letter?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Bezza4 said:
My thumb grips haven't split, but the steering wheel has bubbled at about the 3 and 9 position, right where you put your hands, it is also starting to go at the bottom. Is that good enough to be included in the letter?

yes, rufstuf has had this issue, PM me yoru address for the letter

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Guys + Galls,

Uptake has been great. Ta for the responses.

To save any repeat PMs can you provide me with: -
Your Name
Adress
Car
Reg
Pics
Dealer approached to get work fixed

If no pics, its not the end of the world, but will assist in proving we have a defect.

Cheers

So far we have

1 Justin-172

2 Mark Cup
3 R20 CWH
4 Rufstuf
5 Team_penetrator
6 Ukaskew
7 pbirkett
8 ozzyo99

check your PMs I need pics and address from some of the above