ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another one bites the dust mechanics help please

Clio 172 phase 1
Okay so positing on half of a mate ... We went out for a drive earlier came round a corner flat out and then that's it the car just stopped and now it's got a major bad top end rattle and its got a knock when it misses it'll idle fine then start tapping hard and then a knock when you drive it its major down on power and the tap gets loud ( I say tap it almost sounds like there is ball bearings loose In the top ) its a cup and had the belts changed about 2k ago inc the pully it's been fine up until now however it does use a lot of oil infact I believe this was oil starvation as when we pulled over and checked it there was no oil ( it did chuck a huge amount of blue smoke out when it stopped ) ..... We're pretty sure it's new engine time but we want to proper get an idea of what's wrong with this one could it be slipped timing? Could it be small end bearing? Would it even run if the camshaft had snapped?

Clio 172 phase 1
My thoughts were on a bearing or a valve but I thought if it was the valve it would have just completely been game over he does drive it like an animal and was literally at the redline when it went .... That'll tech him

Clio 172 phase 1
It still runs just is down on power and knocks it tits off but sounds more top end than bottom end bearings

Clio 172 phase 1
Nice man :( he's gutted cuz he's trying to sell it as he's going to Australia for 3 months so were just working out if its worth repairing/ replacing engine or selling as is ... Any ideas on a guesstimate price on a full rebuild? The only pros of the rebuild would be it being 100% mint however if we say change the engine at £400 cost the cars only worth £1500 In real terms so in a catch 22 on it any ideas on what they sell for as a non runner?

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Ive seen people not put the tensioners on them right. dont know how they mess it up but the timing belt jumps, with it been so recent id be looking at timing first. Could be a shell like suggested. If it had dropped a valve head it would just constantly run on 3 cylinders but you say it runs fine on idle so wouldnt have thought so.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've seen one drop the valve head and it's embeded into the piston and stayed there, just smashing the sparkplug to bits. Low odds of not utterly shattering everything but it can happen. does sound more like bottom end with the further description though.

Clio 172 phase 1
Haha it does indeed but like I said earlier the fact the oil was on the min and he knew it used oil and didn't check it probably caused oil starvation seems it was a sweeping deft hand bend the car lent to the right and it sounds like either cylinder 1-2 .... Gonna have to be sold as a non runner seems the best financial way of doing it...