ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another problem thread :(

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys,

Had my Ph1 172 for about 2 months now, and I am loving it :).
Went about fitting a new exhaust on the weekend, as the pipe it had on it before was hanging to pieces.
So all was well, the CAT seemed to be very loose on the manifold, wobbled round all over the place. Tried tightening it up but the nut wouldnt turn, and so gave up to save shearing the bolt!
So the new exhaust and mid section were fitted, took her out for a drive and everything was perfect!
Pulled really well, no weird noises NOTHING!
A bit later on I had to take it out again, drove fine for the best part of an hour, then there was a severe loss of power, and the car felt like it was misfiring.
It also smelt quite bad, like very concentrated exhaust fumes.
The whole engine and exhaust were moving quite a lot, like it was lunging.
Backfires very loud as well! Bear in mind the exhaust still has the CAT, and is not designed to be loud.
Think I may have woken some neighbours up this morning woops :p.
On my way home from work for lunch (now), the car was exactly the same, untill I kept my foot down along the dual carriage way as it was barely hitting 50 without pushing it.
The problem started to clear up.
It would be fine, then hesitate, then smooth etc etc.
Untill it was actually running alright!
Pulled like a train again, and idled perfectly.
Im worried that this problem is going to persist, so I was wondering what anyone thought could be the problem?
Plugs or something simple like that? lol
Maybe the CAT does need re-tightening?
Unless they are meant to have a lot of movement?
It was NOT pinking, I had that problem with my old Corsa, and this is definately not the case.
it just sounded like an old petrol mower is the only way I can describe it.
No warning lights or anything flashed up either

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!!

Nick

PH1 172
then there was a severe loss of power, and the car felt like it was misfiring.
It also smelt quite bad, like very concentrated exhaust fumes.
The whole engine and exhaust were moving quite a lot, like it was lunging.
Backfires very loud as well! Bear in mind the exhaust still has the CAT, and is not designed to be loud. it was barely hitting 50 without pushing it.
It would be fine, then hesitate, then smooth etc etc.
Untill it was actually running alright!
Pulled like a train again, and idled perfectly.
Im worried that this problem is going to persist, so I was wondering what anyone thought could be the problem?
Nick

Highlighted the above bits as that sounds like the exact same problem as mine had last november and it turned out to be a fooked injector on number 3. After I had it replaced all has been fine since *touch wood*. I also had a fault code come up on the diagnostics

If it's not the above then it may be you knocked the O2 sensors on the cat when you were playing around but I am not sure if that would cause your problems or not.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Highlighted the above bits as that sounds like the exact same problem as mine had last november and it turned out to be a fooked injector on number 3. After I had it replaced all has been fine since *touch wood*. I also had a fault code come up on the diagnostics

If it's not the above then it may be you knocked the O2 sensors on the cat when you were playing around but I am not sure if that would cause your problems or not.

Never thought of that!
I had to leave the cat dangling overnight as I ran out of daylight lol.
Will see what its like on the way home tonight, as when I arrived back at work it was running spot on!
s**t in the fuel system?
Going to give it a full service, fuel filter, plugs, oil etc etc see if it makes a difference!

Clio 172 ph2
Any joy with it?

I'd have said Lambda problem since you've been messing in that area.