ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another question, age.

RB 200
After my last thread about who complemented you on your car the most, men or women (which bombed). And after reading the thread about what/who made you buy a cliosport. I was wondering about ages, hot hatches are perceived as what young/middle age people drive.

So, have you had any comments along the lines of, 'you're *insert age here* now, you're too old to be driving a hot hatch, shouldn't you get something a bit more grown up'? I understand these people haven't driven one so they don't understand what driving one is all about, and insurance can mean people can't get one till 21 so they've had to wait to get one.

Also wondered who the oldest person is on here?

I'm ready for this thread to potentially bomb as well!

I'm only 20 and I already get people saying that I should buy something newer & boring! I just ignore them as only a car enthusiast would understand why I drive a clio :D

FF Racing Blue 182
im 32 and get called a boy racer or either folk call it a shed. tbh it is 9 year old clio but i like it.

i can't wait till my brother picks up his golf r, i wont be embarrassed too much i keep telling him. lol!

S4 Avant
The only reason the Clio is an "enthusiasts" car is because they're cheap enough for lots of people to buy and modify.

If everyone could afford a double garage an M3 and an atom for "fast roading" the Clio wouldn't get a look in.

clio 182 trophy
I am 25 and get the 'chav car, too old for that, buy something more mature'. I couldn't give a toss what people think. These are usually comments from people with either a boring as f**k car or someone with no interest in cars. Bizarre.

FF Racing Blue 182
i only bought the clio as a second car and you're right dave its cheap frills.

I've nearly had it two years and still not covered 10k in it. but i wont get rid of it, i like it to be there to jump into.

I bought my 172 to kick the living s**t out of it and not have to worry so I could retire my focus rs from Dailey duties and car park dinks

i bought my trophy ( recently sold and replaced with above s**t box) on good advice that there am amazing drivers car/ best front wheel drive etc.

What at a load of crap. There a normal Clio with some really crap Recaros and fancy shocks.
So I bought a 172 which including buying some decent suspension ( which I think perferforms just as good and will be more reliable that the Sachs ) for less than a 5th of the value of the trophy I sold

it it does make me smile though ( the Clio). It's nippy and chuck able. Makes a nice contrast from my work can and focus ( which with 325 bhp clawing at the front is savage

2003 172
I'm Fcuking 43.lol. In my youth I had the classics, XR2,ASTRA GTE,XR2i. Lol. Then spent 20 years buying s**t for houses,etc. then thought fcuk the mrs I need to live again. And got a 03 172, probably paid to much but had it 4 months now, amazing car, obviously low insurance, ok MPG but most of all, makes me feel 21 again.

Clio 172 Flamer
I bought my 172 to kick the living s**t out of it and not have to worry so I could retire my focus rs from Dailey duties and car park dinks

i bought my trophy ( recently sold and replaced with above s**t box) on good advice that there am amazing drivers car/ best front wheel drive etc.

What at a load of crap. There a normal Clio with some really crap Recaros and fancy shocks.
So I bought a 172 which including buying some decent suspension ( which I think perferforms just as good and will be more reliable that the Sachs ) for less than a 5th of the value of the trophy I sold

it it does make me smile though ( the Clio). It's nippy and chuck able. Makes a nice contrast from my work can and focus ( which with 325 bhp clawing at the front is savage

I think the recaros are nice enough for the price of the clios, wouldnt say a load of cr*p

and the whole 325 bhp thing, thats pretty much a common thing now as they are so easy to modify to that, they can go straight to 300 bhp with a map and intercooler

both the clio and the focus are good value for money in my eyes.

prefer the clio recaros to the st2 recaros, cheaper and more comfortable.

I do actually feel a little old for mine (28), and I think some people think that too (the Mrs hounds me almost daily about changing it). But I'm keeping it for now. I may even stick it in the garage and keep it as a weekend / track car when it comes to changing.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If everyone could afford a double garage an M3 and an atom for "fast roading" the Clio wouldn't get a look in.

I disagree. If I had a garage full of toys ( GT3 RS 4.0, Caterham R500 etc ) I would still take the Clio out for B road blasts, on trackdays.

OT I am nearly 33 and own a 172, have done for just under 10 years now!

S4 Avant
I disagree. If I had a garage full of toys ( GT3 RS 4.0, Caterham R500 etc ) I would still take the Clio out for B road blasts, on trackdays.

OT I am nearly 33 and own a 172, have done for just under 10 years now!

No you wouldn't.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im 39 but I never get any comments about growing up etc as everyone who knows me well knows that I love throwing cars round racetracks of the weekend so they just expect me to occasionally turn up for work in some random turbo powered hatch one day and a tow vehicle the next etc.

Who cares what others think though TBH, I just get on with it and build what I enjoy!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Who's porkie?

A user on here, good mates with me and BigAsh and Mike from MWM etc.

He absolutely loves his clio, and thats despite the fact that he has driven on track just about every exotic car you could think of including the jaguar single seaters etc.

Harry metcalfe is another one you will need to explain to that he isnt allowed to still enjoy his clio either:

Last edited by a moderator:
  2002 clio 172
I'm 32 and only comments I get are bad ones because I drive like a t**t 99% of the time. Have had a few comments on how shiny the car looks and how low the mileage is for age etc. Don't really care what people think, I love it. Although I do want a megane 230 f1. Can hardly fit anyone in passenger seat if I've got baby seat in back!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah f**k. A 4 minute video of some blokes oppinion. I'm going to have to admit I'm wrong now.

You are going to have to admit that you are wrong that automatically cause you have other nice cars it means that every person in that position wouldnt want a clio yes. As you have just been given two examples where that isnt the case.

It might be that YOU wouldnt want a clio still, but others clearly do.

I've seen an old guy around the york area driving a black 182, he looked about 70 ish, if people say to me your too old for that car ide just say well your too boring with your car, or DRAG RACE BRRRAAAHHHHHH hahaha

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Who actually cares?

Only if you have the world's lowest self esteem would you be remotely fussed about anyone else's judgement of something that in the scheme of your life is so f**king menial. Its a car that goes mildly fast and is French. Its neither nothing to brag about or feel ashamed of. If you like it, that's all that matters. Age has nothing to do with it.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I'm 64, recently bought my 172 Cup as a weekend toy to sit alongside my Porsche and my 300bhp V8 kitcar.(oh, and my Sinclair C5). Focus diesel is my daily driver.The Renault is the most fun on public roads,as the Porsche requires driving far too fast on public roads to become fun, and the kitcar being windscreenless means dressing up to go for a drive(its really used as a hillclimb and sprint car)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I'm 64, recently bought my 172 Cup as a weekend toy to sit alongside my Porsche and my 300bhp V8 kitcar.(oh, and my Sinclair C5). Focus diesel is my daily driver.The Renault is the most fun on public roads,as the Porsche requires driving far too fast on public roads to become fun, and the kitcar being windscreenless means dressing up to go for a drive(its really used as a hillclimb and sprint car)

Good man.

You should put up a thread with pics. Sounds like an interesting collection!

2002 Clio Sport 172
I'm 39 and am the proud new owner of a 02 172. Reliving the good old days of my youth, tear arsing around in a chav machine with a loud exhaust. Was a 1.9 205 with a Peco big bore 4 back then! And it has to be said I love it! Absolute piece of piss to wing in parking spaces and drop down a gear or two to blast past whoever is holding me up on the B road blast to pick the kids up from school.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Anyone comments on the Clio I just say that you have to be a good driver to get why. Which is true you do have to have some basic skills to get the best from these cars. Otherwise you moan they have no torque, understeer and the brakes need upgrading before you can start to enjoy the car. Good mods do improve the car but there is plenty to enjoy straight out the box!

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I think you get comments at any age. I'm 22 and have a 225 megane and a ph1 172 and all everyone says is sell up and buy an A3 or golf.

To which I reply I'm not aiming to be a cardboard copy and I enjoy working on the cars as much as driving them. My spare money and spare time is in the cars but hey hoe. I could be spunking it up the wall on weekends on the town or eating in fancy resteraunts and going on holidays out if my price range to post photos on social media for everyone to think I'm doing better than I am.

Clio 172 Flamer
I think you get comments at any age. I'm 22 and have a 225 megane and a ph1 172 and all everyone says is sell up and buy an A3 or golf.

To which I reply I'm not aiming to be a cardboard copy and I enjoy working on the cars as much as driving them. My spare money and spare time is in the cars but hey hoe. I could be spunking it up the wall on weekends on the town or eating in fancy resteraunts and going on holidays out if my price range to post photos on social media for everyone to think I'm doing better than I am.

Fair play

clio 182 black /gold
I am 41 and i have had my Clio for 9 years. People at work say have been polishing the car again the exhaust is clean. Also when are you selling it as you have had it for years. My classic response is i love it and have no intention of selling it. No one has said you are too old for the car, Well maybe @Daz. will do LOL.

DB.

BMW 440i
I'm 24 and got rid of my Clio as I wanted something more grown up, I want a Mercedes or similar next.

I initially didn't think I would, but I would certainly own a 182 again as a second car for B road blasts and the occasional track day. For now though I'd rather plough more money into one car than sacrificing by having 2.

The only reason the Clio is an "enthusiasts" car is because they're cheap enough for lots of people to buy and modify.

Isn't that a bit of a self defeating point? If money were no object many things would be different. But it's not, so things are how they are. It's like saying if every apple was an orange, then bananas wouldn't get a look in.

But alas, apples are not oranges and these Clio's are an enthusiasts car, however low down the ladder they may be.

On topic.. Never really get any grief about driving mine, most people don't really care. Those that do tend to only really be concerned about mpg or the fact the rear seats are basically useless for anyone but Umpalumpas.