ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ANOTHER starting issue!

I'm sure this had probably been solved before but can anyone shed some light..

So up until recently my car has been taking a few turns of the key to start. Then one say it started hesitating around 2k under load. Pulled up to park up and it cut out.

So fast forward a couple of weeks to yesterday when I actually had some time to fix it I replaced the crank sensor thinking it could be this.
Started first time an drove a good 50-60 miles without issue.
Parked the car up last night and left it

Go out to start the car this evening and same thing. Just cranking and cranking.
Just will not fire.
So I try the usual. Press button on key and turn to second position and wait 10 seconds before cranking.

Do this 3 times and on the final try it actually tried to fire but died instantly.
2 more tires and it starts, idles for about 3 minutes then just cuts out

Back to square one! Just cranking and cranking.
I'm in the middle of moving so could really do with my car. Not to mention I need it to get to work

Amy help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Graham

Yep already replaced it 2 and a bit years ago with the newer style and new loom. So replaced just the blue model this time round

Weirdly I left the car for half hour came back and started fine. Drove 3 miles down the road and back without issue :-S

So confused. I seem to remember something about if the immobiliser light flashing fast it's lost sync with the fob but can't remember if it was or not

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Problem with Clios it that it there's so many 'could be's' I had this problem too, soooo temperamental. I got the new sensor and wiring loom and it was great for a week then wouldn't fire again. Took it too the garage and they found the engine wiring loom had some faulty wiring in the plugs and they traced all around the loom too find the wiring that wasn't as good, they found it, re wired it and problem has been solved. Been brilliant every since touch wood if you know someone with a diagnostics machine then get it plugged in, you could replacing lots of things unnecessarily.

Could be dirty throttle body, heard cleaning this can make the world of difference. I presume you've checked spark plugs? If not check them, clean them. Regap the correctly.

I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of whatever the cause is, it's something that's fixable!

Yeah i'll see if I can find someone close by with clip or something.
Haven't checked much as it was dark by the time I got back to the car.
Hopefully it'll be fine tomorrow then I can have it looked at at the weekend

RB 182 FF
My parents friends had this issue with their clio, they had it looked at numerous times by garages and had a new crank sensor but still played up intermittently... I went to look at it and wouldn't start and they said it idled erratically last time it ran, so I disconnected the wire from the throttle pedal and it fired up and idled perfectly and started 5 times no problem. I was in a rush so left it with them and said to tell the local garage they trust what I had done and I believe the garage sorted it after that... Just a stab in the dark but maybe fly by wire throttle issue?!

Edit, just seen yours is phase 1? So cable throttle?! Doh!