ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Timing Belt Question

Various
Have searched the forum and read many threads but not quite found an answer ;)

I wanted to remove a Cover etc from my 172 Phase 2 to check the condition of Timing belt. Service history is good but cant confirm if a possible cambelt has been carried out or not.

Just wondering if its possible to remove a cover to inspect the belt?

I've had a quick look and it looks like the Top engine mount will need to be removed as it looks like from the shape of it, it goes round the cambelt top half cover. before I get it on a ramp to check any other access covers etc, can anyone confirm for me if theres any easier access panels?

Thanks

Nick

ITB'd MK1
the top mount bracket is the only cover you'll get off with ease. The others will require the aux belt to come off which makes it a big job.

I'd look at the condition of the aux belt before anything else, I can't think of a belt failure that i've seen which hasn't been down to the aux belt in some way

Various
the top mount bracket is the only cover you'll get off with ease. The others will require the aux belt to come off which makes it a big job.

I'd look at the condition of the aux belt before anything else, I can't think of a belt failure that i've seen which hasn't been down to the aux belt in some way

Cheers Fella,

The Aux Belt looks fairly decent, I have been looking around on the Nuts/bolts etc for tell tale sign a spanner as been on it etc, and it does seem to look like at some stage bolts have been removed.

for piece of mind I will take the top mount off and inspect the timing belt, out of interest is a factory cambelt stamped renault or the parts supplier?

Tia

Nick

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Can the cam timing be checked or can this only be done when its stripped down? if so what needs to line up with what?