ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 'which' camera .... (help needed)

Goliath I
So I've now decided to pitch out for a tidy camera and have come across the two which usually recommended....

Nikon D3000

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5593189.htm

OR

Canon EOS 1000D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5592829.htm

I've trenched through google but I'd like to have the opinion of peoples work Ive seen.

It'll be my first Digital SLR so Im really going in at an entry level.

What do you guys think?
(p.s. I've had vouchers for argos so thats how Im able to get one now, I know there may be better offers elsewhere but at the moment I dont have the 'cash')

Cheers

Megane
I am a Canon man and it seems to be the more popular brand but the Nikons are known to have better Kit lenses

Goliath I
Still on the fence, as said just a beginner so its overall compatibility with lenses etc may not be that important for the purchase

LY 182 FF CUPPED
If Canon are the more popular brand, I might start using it.

Help me to take better pictures.

3 Series touring
olympus have the best kit lenses by far......doesnt make you a good photographer though!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
all I want is something to help me improve, my current set up is seriously cramping my style.

Always makes my stuff out of focus, and blurry and my my skies washed out......please help.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol at canon being the most popular brand...

all you have to do is look at press pen photo's of the last olympics where you can see all of the photographers... bearing in mind they are pretty much some of the best photographers you can get and nikon outweighed cannon by 85% or something lol... go to the olympics before that and it was by far the other way round...

nikon p0wn cannon

Megane
Oh my lord, you kn*bheads haha, only on CS.

When did I say that Canon is BETTER or MORE PRO. I simply said it is more popular, when you look at sales figures etc more Canon is sold, and this makes it easier for the OP if he later on wants to pick up cheap second hand lenses, etc. And I never said the most popular brand helps you take better pictures either.

PlanetX if this thread is too good for your big head then that is your issue.

So Malice, how many % of the world's SLRs are in the olympics?

Last edited:
  3 Series touring

all you have to do is look at press pen photo's of the last olympics where you can see all of the photographers... bearing in mind they are pretty much some of the best photographers you can get and nikon outweighed cannon by 85% or something lol... go to the olympics before that and it was by far the other way round...

nikon p0wn cannon

85% Nikon, 15% canon.........maybe with sigma lenses:

kayyyy so if you're missing the sarcasm,

a POPULAR brand will not give you the best photos, not nesseccarily will the best camera.

practicve, and a bit of know how will give you the sort of results you want to achieve.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
To the OP, I would like to know what your current set up is? Have you done any photography courses? Im in a similar boat to yourself. I want to broaden my skills, but I think that at the end of the day you can get great results from ANY camera, even a compact or even a disposable. Its about capturing a moment, framing and composing a shot and taking shots that you like. We all have different tastes, so dont worry if some folk dont like your shot and others do.

The best advice I can give you is buy the best camera that you can afford at the time and learn the settings, fuctions and features and then get out there and practice!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol, this must look hilarious to anyone that doesn't give a damn about cameras.

Either camera is good, go try 'em out, you'll find that one probably suits you better than the other.

Goliath I
Lol cheers, thought my thread was lost forever then.

It'll by my first DSLR, I read a few mags (which is irritating when you dont have a camera to try out) and my sister does photography in college and my gf's mum does it as a hobby... but one has a canon and the other has nikon, so you can see the info I get!

depends on the picture you see TBH. Nikon have done better since the last world cup (over 90% canon IIRC) but it is not such a big swing. however thats not their biggest market and TBH quite irrelavent to what camera you buy.

Nikon entry level cameras are not the best for functions compared to sony, canon etc but have historically been cheaper than canons. in terms of IQ you'd not be able to tell the difference between any of them.

go for what feels good in your hand (no not your c**k lol)

nikon p0wn cannon

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've never used a nikon but my mate uses one. Not sure what model he's got though but its a fair bit bigger and heavier than my canon 1000.
I know he has a lot of trouble with noise and his ISO only goes to 200, the canon goes to 100 but i'm not sure if thats due to the lenses we were using at the time? (the noise)

Go to a shop, have a play with borht of them and make your mind up from there.

Everybody has different wants/needs from a camera - it all depends you.

Good luck with whatever you go for though.

Megane
I've never used a nikon but my mate uses one. Not sure what model he's got though but its a fair bit bigger and heavier than my canon 1000.
I know he has a lot of trouble with noise and his ISO only goes to 200, the canon goes to 100 but i'm not sure if thats due to the lenses we were using at the time? (the noise)

Go to a shop, have a play with borht of them and make your mind up from there.

Everybody has different wants/needs from a camera - it all depends you.

Good luck with whatever you go for though.

Noise is normally due to either the lack of reduction technology or a high pixel density on a small sensor. As many people have said, one will feel more natural in your hand and will appear more logical to you, go for that one, because at the end of the day you are buying a tool that is doing a job for you, and you don't want to be thinking when you use it.

I have used Canon for a few years, used a Nikon a couple of times last month and it was very different for me! I'm sure I could get used to it after a while, but it just highlights the difference.

Look at the lenses you'll want to buy. Then since you know 1 Canon shooter and 1 Nikon shooter borrow them for the day!

The only thing I envy about Nikon is the 35mm f/1.8G.

Oh sorry did I say that, I meant ..

caN0n pwns l33t etc etc nik0n....lolz0rs

Oil Burner
It depends how far you see your photography going. Currently Pro Nikon bodies are better than Canon Pro bodies. However if your only looking at consumer/prosumer bodies/lenses then you wont see much difference at all.

Reasons i went for Canon over Nikon:

Entry level Nikons at the time were using AF-S fitment, which limited lens choice and increased costs of these lenses.

Canon was slightly larger and fitted better in hands.

Nikon doesn't have as large a used market.

Nikon doesnt provide such a good range of prosumer lenses. Lenses like the 70-200 F4, 400 5.6 etc...

If i was buying my kit again i would currently buy Nikon.

Cupra
If I could start again, I'd probably go for Nikon too, but I can get better quality for my money with Canon than I can with Nikon, so I'll stay where I am.

Plus I like white lenses. ;)

when I bought my 5D2 I could hve bought nikon since I sold every thing off but I don't like the way nikons handle.