ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying my first DSLR...looking at canon 1000D, which to buy?

Racing Blue 182
As above its my first DSLR and I haves always fancied one. Dont want anything too fancy, will just be for general pictures, pictures of the mrs, the car and landscape etc.

Seen it on Argos for £350 with one lense and £440 with two lenses. Also get £20 voucher back.

My questions;

Is this a good starter camera? I have done my reading and it seems to be
Is it worth paying the extra £90 for the second lense? How much would this cost to buy seperate?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...cat_14419497|Digital+SLR+cameras|14419500.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...cat_14419497|Digital+SLR+cameras|14419500.htm

Inferno 182 CUP
probably better off joinign somewhere like www.talkphotography.co.uk and buying a second hand camera

a 400D sold on there for £200 with a lens i just saw so you will save some serious dolla, learn alot and pic up some good accessories along the way

best way is to buy used mate

i also have a tamrac bag here thats brand new and in a plastic wrapper if you want it for a DSLR

Oil Burner
Check out MPB Photographic, they have a 400d body on there at £230 and that will include a 6 month warranty. Then the Kit lenses are for sale from £50 or £80 for the IS version.

Racing Blue 182
Still havnt got one yet, but trying to get one as a Christmas present. Dont want to spend more than £250 inc lense, so looking second hand...does anyone have anything?

Im looking for a canon and one with inbuilt motor (so the lenses are cheaper) can people please rate the following and tell me what year they came out in as they seem to be around price range second hand.

Canon 300D
Canon 350D
Canon 400D
Canon 450D
Canon 20D
Canon 1000D

anyone know a good place to get cheap second hand lenses and which lenses would be best to start with?

Racing Blue 182
Oh really.

What is considered as high usage on a DSLR?

I guess 150 is very low, but I have seen some into the 10,000s

2.2 bar shed.
All Canon EOS lenses contain an inbuilt motor - bar the TS-E's. 450d is your best bet. The 1000d is alright but when it comes to anything past ISO800 its rubbish.

High usage is about 3500 a week? 150 is basically nothing. All entry level shutters are rated to 50k, but like anything mechanical they can fail before. Dont worry about shutter usage, just get the best camera you can afford.

Racing Blue 182
Would I be best with a 400d or a 1000d then? Going to make the purchase tonight.

Someone point me in the direction of the best lens to start with?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought my dad a 1000d for xmas.

Can get it for £332 if you use the voucher code CAN1000D on jessops, depends if they have stock in your local stores though. I ended up buying off amazon.

Went for the canon so we can share gear, second hand is better value but no good when its a gift lol.

Do you reaaaaallllly want a DSLR? A lot of people see the pictures people post and think they'll instantly match (not a dig, but a generalisation) and then are disappointed when they don't.

My pictures are far far better now than when I started but at first, they were no different to any shots you'd take with a £50 camera that your Nan has to take pics of her flowers and dogs.

An SLR take a lot of time to learn and progress with. If you want to be taking photography more seriously then get one, use it a lot, learn the settings and you'll get some good results, after you've thrown a lot away, but that's part of the fun.

Consider if you want to just snap and put them on facebook or if you want to be setting up shots properly, getting all the settings etc.

If it's the former, then I recommend a Lumix. If it's the latter, then good luck, get on flickr and see the shots you like, copy the settings and just practice.

Inferno 182 CUP
What revels said is basically the first thing you should ever read before going dslr lol spot on advice!

Racing Blue 182
Just won a 1000D on ebay from the Canon Outlet on ebay.

Paid a bit more than I wanted but for £245 got a refurbished ( thats what they call it, but sounds as if they are new returned stock with open packaging). It comes with a full 1 year warranty from canon.

Does anyone know if they come with a kit lens?

Please post some links of a lens I should get to start with?

Lol. You want us to know if it comes with a lens, when you've bid on and won the auction? Read what it says. If it says 'Body Only' then no, it doesn't. If it says '1000D Kit' then it does.

What sort of money do you want to spend on a lens?

2.2 bar shed.
Stick with kit lens, learn basics. Decide what focal range you like then buy more gear.

Racing Blue 182
Get a 50mm f1.8

Yeh done a bit of reading on these tonight..seems great quality pictures for the money. Im looking at taking pictures of still cars and people, so this may be a good option. Would this work well in nightclubs etc?

Stick with kit lens, learn basics. Decide what focal range you like then buy more gear.

It does not look like it comes with one, so may aswell get a lens i will be happy with for a while

Racing Blue 182
Camera arrived today. Just thought id let you know it came with the kit lens 18-55mm included. It is like brand new, the strap, battery, charger, booklets all unopened.

Got it for £245 inc full years warranty from canon, £350 in the shops.

Bargain, must have been a customer return....cant wait to use it

ITB BG 182
With primes like the 50mm f1.8 and also have a 100mm f2.8. You obv lose the feature of zoom and on a crop sensor they are further away, the 100mm is more like 160mm.
But you have a more sharp picture even in low lights.

This is with a 50mm f1.8 under dim lighting and ISO about 1.2k i think.

christines131.jpg

This is with a f3.5 on a higher ISO but under lower light in a corner of the room.

christines102.jpg

Images are a little too big, sorry.

Oh also i have only had this DSLR for one week and owned my first DSLR since 11-12-2010