ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anoying problem

Clio 172 mk2
Hello All,

I've got a little problem with my mk2 172 - every now and then when i turn the car on the Trip computer is re-setting its self! Has anyone ever come accross this before, will it lead to a more serious problem and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

Jimmy

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I'm getting this problem as well ....... but it's only if the car hasn't been driven for 6 to 8 hours or more. Taking it back to the dealer on Friday if I haven't managed to find a solution on here ;)

Si

ant

yep.
mine did that last week.

the only thing i can remember doing was opening the bonnet????
shouldn't make a difference but thats all i could think of!

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
Yep my Mk1 1 172 did this the other day can't put my finger on what has caused it other than cold weather it was fine before and during going to work when leaving work at 9pm it seemed to have reset itself.

Trying to work out if i somehow caught the reset button on the clocks when removing the disc lock.

Sounds like it could be a common problem :(

Mine is booked in to the garage this Friday. They suspect a faulty board but will not know until they run diagnostics on it.

I've tried the reset/self-test posted elsewhere on these boards, but that didn't help me.

Si

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
LOL, i've just started a similar thread!!!!
whats going on??
mine has been doing it the last few days

The car went in today so that they could find out what the problem was. They're saying that they need to replace the "speedo" and are ordering up a new part. I only spoke to a receptionist so didn't ask if it was the whole unit or just a circuit board....... I'll try and find out when the car goes back in to get the work done.

Si

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mine is doing it to !!! Only does it on first time starting when car is cold in morning even if it left in the garage over night. I am also getting a sound like a relay clicking from behind dash clocks in the first few seconds after starting when this happens that is when the trip comp resets . I think it might be something to do with battery being low on charge as it never does it when car has been on a run only when its been standing and cold. gonna swop it see if that cures it this week. Please let me know if anyone knows how to cure it!:(

Last edited:
Mine did it today too.

Its never done it before, and seeing all your cars with the same problem suggests its the cold weather doing it?

Megane R26
I've had this, but it started ever since my battery went dead. Leaving sounds on while washing the car...never good. Thing is the car gets a 60mile trip every day, and have done this without the sounds on, given it a good charge, but I think the battery is shagged. Could leave the lights on for 1min without the ignition on and the car wouldn't start. Leave it for 10mins and it would. But could be the damm cold :/

Funny you say that, cos my battery died completely about a month ago due to my new amp.

could be related to that i spose.

ant

yep.
i "caught" mine doing it the other day!!

just started the car [was around -2] and had driven about 200 metres when i noticed about 3 or 4 various warning lights flash on on the dash and the rev counter needle and speedo needle both pointed to around "twenty to" [imagine a clockface].

it lasted a second or two then went back to normal. i clicked the button on the end of the stalk and sure enough everything had reset!!!!

not done it since in the milder weather tho???

SimonFr said:
The car went in today so that they could find out what the problem was. They're saying that they need to replace the "speedo" and are ordering up a new part. I only spoke to a receptionist so didn't ask if it was the whole unit or just a circuit board....... I'll try and find out when the car goes back in to get the work done.

Si

Did you get this replaced?

Mine was diagnosed as the same problem and went back today to be fixed, I have just got the car back and of course what ever they had to replace now means my car is showing as 10 miles not the 24600 odd it was showing when it went in.
I phoned the dealers and they told me there is nothing that can be done but it's all in their computers so it's all OK. It sounds a bit dodgy to me as I wouldn't really want to buy a car who's odometer is 24000 miles different than the real mileage so it worries me what will happen when I come to sell it.

Did the same thing happen to you?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
think you can get the millage corrected, my grandpas starlet speedo went at about 150,000 miles, got replaced and reset to 0 and done another 150,000 aprox, but he had no hastle selling it, infact it was easyer because although he came clean about it the buyer realised they could make money on it.

52Black172 said:
I phoned the dealers and they told me there is nothing that can be done but it's all in their computers so it's all OK. It sounds a bit dodgy to me as I wouldn't really want to buy a car who's odometer is 24000 miles different than the real mileage so it worries me what will happen when I come to sell it.
They can adjust it there just lazy or unknowedged.

52Black172 said:
Did you get this replaced?

Mine was diagnosed as the same problem and went back today to be fixed, I have just got the car back and of course what ever they had to replace now means my car is showing as 10 miles not the 24600 odd it was showing when it went in.

Did the same thing happen to you?

An update, after having this work done yesterday I get in my car this morning to find ....... The trip computer had reset again AAAARGHHHHH!!!!!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
REF my problem with trip computer resetting itself on start up. I changed the car battery for a new one 7/12/05 and as yet have not had the problem again, so far so good ! Not saying everyone should dash out and buy a new battery but it seems to have cured mine.Old battery did appear to start car ok and showed same readings as my mates 172 (who does not have this problem) .Was told by renault dealer before doing this that new dash was the only cure but as you can see from other threads on this page that does not cure it. Will let you all know if i have problem again.:)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
i've still got the problem, but b****cks to it, when the neadle is in the red i need more motion lotion.
f**k fuel computers :mad: