ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any new Canon bodies out soon?

14' Leon Cupra 280
My dad's come back from holidays, complaining about his 350d. For what he needs the 50d looks good. I've tried looking online for new body release dates, but would hate to recommend it, then have a new one out the following week...

Cupra
The 60D has been rumoured for months. I'd hold off from a 50D for the time being as the 60D should have at least some of the tricks from the 7. Is the 7 too far above budget?

14' Leon Cupra 280
Ah right cheers, his budget is so open to be honest. He's wanting it mainly for wildlife, so we're looking at 400mm lenses. The old 100-400mm must be discontinued, so not sure on that aspect. Body wise the 550d looks better than the 50d on Canons comparison thing. Just the body material and higher ISO.

Someone had a 7d with 50-500 sigma lens on it when he was away...was miffed his shot looks so much better...which it should for £2500 piece of kit!

He'd spend it if he knew it would do the job, he's just retired, so has plenty of time to use it now. Will tell him to hold off a while, he's going to Mull next month and think he wanted something for then. Not worth rushing really

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
personally id buy a second hand 1 series than a 7D espec if he is wanting to shoot wildlife in wet weather (not all places are in those huts I presume with what he wants)

With some decent sealed glass on there he can still play even in crap weather

Oil Burner
Its good waiting for the new models, but you if you buy them as soon as they are released, you will pay a fortune. Personally i would wait for the new model to buy a used version of the old model.

I would agree with Ryan, an old 1dmk2n and a 100-400 would make a nice setup. Albeit the screen is nothing special and the body is large if he wants to travel with it.

nothing likely unless you're waiting for the 1Ds mk4 lol

550 not long out same with 7D and 5D2 not likely to get replaced anytime soon.

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
nothing likely unless you're waiting for the 1Ds mk4 lol

550 not long out same with 7D and 5D2 not likely to get replaced anytime soon.

60D.

500 will be replaced by the 600D not that far away either, generally canon are doing so with theses every 6-12months on the plastic bodies.

5D III is being rushed out aswell according to alot of sources

Cupra
Canon rumours are generally unfounded. I remember watching threads about the 5DII for over a year before anything was released, and 99% of everything that was predicted was incorrect. The same went for the 40D & 50D. So far, the 60D has been forecast for a Feb '10 release, a May '10 release and now for a ?? release.

"They" have been on about a 24-70 f2.8 IS for over two years and a replacement for the 100-400 for longer.

I would guess that the 1DsIV will also be along this year, but that will be way out of the reach (and requirements) of mere mortals.

I gave up trying to second guess what was coming next and just bought what I needed at the time. I would love a newer version of the 5DII with better AF and more FPS, but I am more than happy to live with what I have for next couple of years.

Ultimately your Dad could probably do the same and get a 7D in the knowledge that it will do everything that he could possibly want it to (when he learns how to operate the AF system ;) ). It will be better than the 60D, although perhaps a touch more expensive, which doesn't sound like it should be a problem.

60D.

500 will be replaced by the 600D not that far away either, generally canon are doing so with theses every 6-12months on the plastic bodies.

5D III is being rushed out aswell according to alot of sources

can't see a 60D not with the 50D and 7D

550 is a replacement for the 500 and the 5D2 is not likely to be replaced anytime soon. It took them 3 years to replace the 5D

Oil Burner
I Would suspect if they do produce another XXd camera then it will slip to more of a consumer camera than it currently.

Looking at the 550d and 7d, it would have to have 1080p video with ext mic, a 16/17mp 1.6 crop sensor. But i suspect it would continue to have the lack of options the 50d currently has. (unlike the 7d which has the super complex AF/metering customisation options).

I think most likely is that canon is having a shift of their model names to avoid running through a load of old Nikon models. Although compared to Nikon they need a model that sits slightly below the D300s. Which is probably what the 50d currently does.

Who knows, we should find out in the next few months. You never know, Canon might even produce a decent camera for a change.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Cheers guys. Still not sure. Ironically in a hide at 8am this morning the only other guy in the whole reserve had a 1ds mkIII i think, with a 100-400mm IS f5.6 with 1.4x. Really helpful, decided that's the lens. Body wise 550d/7d still

Oil Burner
Bare in mind you wont be able to put a TC on the 100-400 on any body except 1 series. (not certain about the 7d, but suspect it still wont work)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Don't suppose the guys name was Mike was it? Met a guy at a Birds of Prey centre in Knutsford and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was him lol, exact same combo.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Never got his name, but the more i've looked at the combo it is really popular. He's had some nice kit too, but still kept with the 100-400mm. He was kicking himself about an Eagle Owl last week. Went to shoot and camera was switched off, said he'd never done it in all his life and won't again.