ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any Panasonic Plasma owners on here?

172 Cup

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Cough, b****cks!
Had mine for 3yrs & it's as good as the day i bought it.
Been left on all day & night many times with no issues at all.
Next one will be a panasonic as well :D
We also have them at work & are on all day everyday.

172 Cup
Cheers Steve.

There's a four part thread consisting of over 150 pages on the "issue" on AVforums but I haven't got a week to read it all hence I asked on here.

VaVa
I've been looking at the G20... Is this TV much different?

Interested to hear any opinions on the 1000 hour issue. I'd read that only a small number had reported problems with black levels and image retention...

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Not heard that myself, although haven't been looking into TVs that much lately but keep in touch on avforums but not seen that thread. Link?

Maybe that's why Panasonic have been offering 5yr warranties recently. Any TV from John Lewis includes a 5yr warranty and Richer Sounds warranties are 10% of the product price but you can get a refund after 5yrs if you never use it.

Our Sony plasma was only suppose to be 5000 hours, we've far exceeded that and it's been going strong since 2003 *touch wood it keeps going*. 1000hrs isn't even a year really.

LY 200
Rubbish!

Not sure on the exact model i have (its a 42 inch viera 600hz, 1080p HD ready badboy) but i have had mine since last summer and its been faultless so far and used every night for either gaming or TV!

My olds have a 42 inch 'Hitachi' plasma in there living room which has been used everyday since the early 00's so i think the plasma limited shelf life thing is a myth personally.

Great TV's the Panasonics! Really glad i went for one over the Samsung LCD i was going to go for!

LY 200
Haha! On the up with Gold and Sully im sure. :cool:

Deffo couldnt recomend the Panasonic enough though mate - We have another plasma 42 inch in the house hold (as said) and two Samsung 32 inch LCD's and the picture quality is far superior!

Absolutely blinding if you've got Sky HD.

Oil Burner
Panasonic used to (when I last sold them) list there Plasma panels at 60,000 - 100,000 hrs life (LCD were listed at 60k). This is double what CRT's were rated at and is about 20 yrs of viewing if your watching 8 hrs a day.

Im not up on my TV's at the moment, but 1 yr ago Panasonic produced by far the most capable Panels going. Produced a superbly accurate picture/colours.

172 Cup
Haha! On the up with Gold and Sully im sure. :cool:

Deffo couldnt recomend the Panasonic enough though mate - We have another plasma 42 inch in the house hold (as said) and two Samsung 32 inch LCD's and the picture quality is far superior!

Absolutely blinding if you've got Sky HD.

Yeah I've got Sky HD and that Panny has Freeview HD as well if I get tempted to cancel Sky at any point.

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Oh this. Sorry I thought you meant, the TV was useless after 1000 hours. I have heard of this, but as I'm not in the market for a new TV, I never found out what happened. My uncle has a Panasonic plasma, from 1-2 years ago IIRC, and he's not noticed anything on it.

Yeah I've got Sky HD and that Panny has Freeview HD as well if I get tempted to cancel Sky at any point.

As long as you're in a freeview HD area, it's not nationwide yet and may require a new aerial/directioning.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I've had a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma for over 2 years now and it will be well over 1000 hours by now and still looks perfect

in fact, I will go access the engineers menu and check

SQ5
Pansonic's are the new Pioneers now Pioneer have stopped making screen. Bang for buck Pana's all the way!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
even before Pioneer stopped making them, the Panasonics were almost as good for less money

one of my mates has a Kuro and yes it's good, but I'd rather have my Viera and the money in the bank

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Latest range of Pana's have Pioneer tech inside them, I reckon next gen stuff could finally beat the Kuros.

I am yep. Sutton Coldfield/Lichfield transmitters.

That's good news. I've got to wait until 2012 to get a decent signal so decided to go for Sky HD. Doing multiroom as I still live at home but its going to cost me £15/month.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
We've had a V10 for about a year now and whilst I've not checked the counter it must be over 1000 hours and I've not noticed any changes in black level or image retention.

Nissan Jewk
Bought the G10 after a lot of research (especially the AV Forum threads!), best thing I ever bought to be honest. No doubt will trade it up for a 3D tv in a couple of years if that kicks off in a big way anyway! But you cant go wrong if your looking at the £600/700 mark.

Oil Burner
I understood the new Pioneer sets had Panasonic guts, on account of Pioneer's factory being closed and sharing a factory with Panasonic?

VaVa
Bought the 46" G20 today from Costco. Was after the 42" but, incredibly, my missus wanted the bigger one.

Not had much chance to play with it yet, but even straight out of the box, the picture is stunning. Really impressed!

Ad

MK2 FRS
I got the S20 from Curry's yesterday on the cash for goals thing and dropped on an LG Home cinmea reduced from £400 to £150 and then a further £60.00 package disount :)

S23

The Cleee-O
I've got a couple of seasons old (can't remember the model for the life of me :eek:) lol. Will be two years old in November, and it's still spot on! The blacks are still black, the images sharp and just runs beautifully. I work at Comet, and Panasonic are the way forward. You will get wayyyy more than 1000 hours out of it. They're built to go for about 30,000+ hours. My gets a lot of PS3 + Blu-Ray abuse as well and it's still perfect :)

A4 Avant
Panasonic have been fantastic with me Griff. I can't comment on the model you've posted, but my tv was a year out of warranty when the screen developed a band of rainbow pixels. A panasonic authorised repairer assessed the repair and told me it would cost me £850. They then spoke direct to panasonic who asked me to pay a £50 excess and I know have a working tv. First class service, only took two weeks to sort out too.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
the panasonic black level rise isnt a myth btw... it goes up at around 350 hours then again at 1000 hours has been tested by many isf engineers on av forums etc. panasonic stated "its to achieve optimal picture throughout the tv's lifetime.... dont know why it happens so soon mind you, will take a plasma 100,000 hours to reach half its original brightness.

Golf GTi Mk2
I've had my Panny Plasma for 2 years, I've had a little bit of image retention but it it soon disappeared, mines a 37" so only displays 720p but I cant fault the image, every bit as good as my previous sony bravia 32"

Lee

BMW M2C
I can't fault my 42" Panasonic Plasma. It developed a fault after 12 months, with a green line down the centre of the screen. It was just over a month out of warranty, but they still replaced the panel free of charge.

My local Panasonic repair centre collected it the day after I spoke to Panasonic, and it was back in my lounge 2 days later.

Awesome customer service.

Same went for a HD projector I had. That was 6 months out of warranty. They quoted me a repair price which was fair, so I sent it back. When it came back to me there was a letter stating it was all FOC.

Mine is getting on now, and has had a LOT of use, but the picture is still amazing. When it's time to replace it I'll be getting another Panasonic for sure.

Clio200 EDC Lux
I have got the new G20 42" series pana with freeview HD and Freesat HD, an awesome bit of kit with 5 year warranty as well :) can't fault Panasonic at all been using the for well over 10 years now and no problems at all.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Love my panasonic plasma; wouldn't have anything else now tbh I think, will be sticking with them in the future :)

Audi TT 225 Quattro
had my panasoinic 46" pz85 for about 18months now and have clocked up about 4000 hours last time i checked and can honestly say the picture has done noting apart from improve in the time ive had it imo. also got the 5 year warrenty when i got it so if it does brake it goes back:)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
no issues with my 50" Panasonic Plasma either, it is covered by a 5 year Panasonic warranty though so I'm covered in any event.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i have a g10, can't fault it, best set out there at time of purchase for the money imo.

new 3d sets are supposed to be amazing.

2004 182 FF + Cup packs
I have the S20 and it's not a bad unit. Not as good as the 50" Kuro but does have Freeview HD built in.

That said you can't account for some donut at ITV playing a Hyundai advert at the wrong time.... and therefore being worse off for having Freeview HD!!