ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any Regrets Buying 182

Hi folks im thinking about buying a 182 in the near future, do any of you guys wish you had bought different or are you happy with the car?

Happy with the car brillant drive and *touch wood* ive not had any problems

I am now selling mine only because i am expecting a child and want a five door car with more boot space

ClioSport 182

One of the best calculated purchases that I have made. It is a focused car for a specific market ... no regrets.

KnightAzul

love the car only regret is it makes me drive like a knob too much! mmmmmm speeeed ;o)

[Edited by iceblue182 on 9/30/2004 3:08:30 PM]

you should put only yourself on thats what i did i dont get to drive his Type R so NO hes not driving mine :evil: ha ha

No regrets i love it wanted to buy a skyline with the money but couldnt afford the insurance so i got a 182 then when i can afford a skyline ill get one of them but for the time being its really cool love it......

Ive loved my 182 and had not one prob to date - saved me cash too, although I sometimes think I should have bought the Scooby STi that was the alternative at the time!

insignia

I love driving in my 172 or 182.It is the doggies danglies,it has personality and always knows whos the boss. I love them.More than faster cars Ive driven.They make you wanna take the longer route home and always make you feel good when you ride them hard.I look forward to driving any where,it simply dont get better when Im with Cliopatra,but you can call her Chloe;)

Quote: Originally posted by LEECE on 30 September 2004

Happy with the car brillant drive and *touch wood* ive not had any problems

I am now selling mine only because i am expecting a child and want a five door car with more boot space
Our two y.o. Mclaren and all the other stuff fits in my 182 no problem. You wouldnt get a full travel sytem pram in but theyre a pain anyway imho. As for three doors - I actually prefer lifting into the seat rather than across it as you do with five doors. Borrow someones child and try before you buy! Ditto touching wood - no problems!

well Jaf i am buying the new Audi Sportsback i have a six year old already and so far in 3 years ive had a New mini cooper New Cooper S BMW New Compact now the 182 i should of kept the Compact for the space but it was a boring car to drive ... so now i am going for the Audi and hopefully it will satisfy me this time

if not what car next ha ha

Mercedes SLK350

I wish I had not bought mine. Nothing but trouble from day one. I love the car, but dealers and Renault let everything down in a massive way. Just about to write up what happened yesterday at dealers. See SUTTON PARK UPDATE.

Quote: Originally posted by LEECE on 30 September 2004

well Jaf i am buying the new Audi Sportsback i have a six year old already and so far in 3 years ive had a New mini cooper New Cooper S BMW New Compact now the 182 i should of kept the Compact for the space but it was a boring car to drive ... so now i am going for the Audi and hopefully it will satisfy me this time

if not what car next ha ha
Weve got another baby due in Feb so Ill have to see how the 182 copes - a Lotus Elise is definitely ruled out now for obvious reasons... Next Im thinking of a Chrysler 300C with the hemi V8 as a nice family car - but only after the 182 is completely out of my system, which may take a while! Good luck with the Audi and the new addition.

No regrets at all. (Pretty) good service from dealer and bought at a reasonable price from one. Reliable motoring so far. Plenty of positive comments from everyone who sees the car or is a passenger. No undesireable attention either! Very enjoyable to drive - either tootling around, or caning it. Two warranty items, whistling wing mirror & 3-bleep alarm, all sorted FOC without hassle. Fuel economy is bearable too, given the fun:performance value, Im usually getting low-mid 30s on the computer. Thoroughly recommended IMO:)

Quote: Originally posted by AndyG on 30 September 2004

Two warranty items, whistling wing mirror & 3-bleep alarm, all sorted FOC without hassle.
How did they sort the whistling mirror the dealer i use (ORPINGTON) Told me they cant do anything about that tried telling me it was something to do with the flared arches! Obviously i didnt beleve them.....

The whistling wing mirror can be sorted if you cover the wee hole on the underside of the front right mirror with your finger...

just means that you have to drive with your window down and your arm hanging out the window

For the money (~12.5) you cant really fault them.

Practicality:

Boot is fine for things like pushchairs, but a baby seat in the back really pushes the front seats fwd - and you end up really cramped - luckily thats not done too often. They are tiny cars

Paintwork:

not so sure about quality - noticed some patces on mine that look like a bird has crapped on it at some point.

Performance:

On cam its very quick. I actually find myself driving faster on the roads in the 182 than I do / did in my 330 ci or my elise....which is not what I intended! Not through choice, but its very easy, and theres little sense of speed. Dont interpret that as no feedback - theres lots for a FWD car, you just alwys think youre going slower than you really are

Off cam Im less impressed - it seems to take an age to get from 3 k to 5 . whatever when the 2nd cam comes in. The cut in should be lower - but that would probably screw motorway cruising (not looked to check though)

Gearbox:

Pretty poor shifting IMO, but it is improving (only done 900 miles). You cant rush it - it pays to be super smooth.

Handling:

For an FWD car I am growing to like it more & more - but really need to get it on a training day to really get to grips with what the chassis is doing. At times I can feel it transition from neutral to oversteer and dont want to find out what happens next on the road!

Yes its a bit plastick inside, butfor the money its above average Id say. Id recommend one.

Driving position:

Even with the seat at its lowest youre still a bit high. The pedals are too ofset but you get used to it.

....but despite all that Id recommend one

Two warranty items, whistling wing mirror & 3-bleep alarm, all sorted FOC without hassle.
How did they sort the whistling mirror the dealer i use (ORPINGTON) Told me they cant do anything about that tried telling me it was something to do with the flared arches! Obviously i didnt beleve them.....

Re above: where the wing mirror joins the black mirror holder theres a gap, it was this gap that was causing whistling on mine. To test for yourself, put a bit of masking tape over this gap and see how you get on (caution, dont use something that will leave a residue!!). This is a common fault and is remedied by replacing the whole mirror, which presumably has a different gap size and thus the whistling disappears.... God that was hard to explain/write!!! Your wind noise (wahey!) may be caused by another factor, who knows, but def try this. Do a search here buddy, print off and take to the dealer if theyre trying to be arsey about fixing it. Its an unnacceptable, common, recognised fault - and easy to fix. They recover their costs from Renault anyway, on warranty parts, so shouldnt be outta pocket....

Does that help?

Lovin mine to bits. Just started pushing mine that bit more and it feels great. The only thing I miss is the thrill of a turbo...

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by Jason C on 30 September 2004

Performance:
On cam its very quick. I actually find myself driving faster on the roads in the 182 than I do / did in my 330 ci or my elise....which is not what I intended! Not through choice, but its very easy, and theres little sense of speed. Dont interpret that as no feedback - theres lots for a FWD car, you just alwys think youre going slower than you really are
Little sense of speed?! I would have said totally the opposite. I owned an Audi S3 before and you could be accelerating hard or cruising at warp speed and you wouldnt hear the engine or have a sense of the real speed (much like many diesels these days). However, the 182 is a different story. The engine roar drowns out the stereo (I have it switched off to hear the roar better!) and there is definitely a sense of speed ...

KnightAzul

Love mine. 6600 miles in 3 months. 40+mpg on long runs and destroys everthing else on the road. Love hitting 5k in second coming off roundabouts onto DC or motorway. Handling is addictive. Looks mean.

What else could you buy for the money that gives this much performance and fun ?

Yaris Hybrid

A Yam R1 and a blow up doll?

I dont regret buying mine yet even though it broke down before they delivered it. When it does turn up I will see if anything else breaks and then decide whether I regret it or not.

Quote: Originally posted by AndyG on 01 October 2004

Re above: where the wing mirror joins the black mirror holder theres a gap, it was this gap that was causing whistling on mine. To test for yourself, put a bit of masking tape over this gap and see how you get on (caution, dont use something that will leave a residue!!). This is a common fault and is remedied by replacing the whole mirror, which presumably has a different gap size and thus the whistling disappears.... God that was hard to explain/write!!! Your wind noise (wahey!) may be caused by another factor, who knows, but def try this. Do a search here buddy, print off and take to the dealer if theyre trying to be arsey about fixing it. Its an unnacceptable, common, recognised fault - and easy to fix. They recover their costs from Renault anyway, on warranty parts, so shouldnt be outta pocket....

Does that help?
Spot on Andy cheers mate i will try the experiment soon.

What dealer do you use? if they give me anymore gip ill tell them about the dealer tell them to speak to that branch, nothing is ever easy with my dealer.......

Cheers again.

Rob.

Lee

BMW M2C

No regrets from me. Its got the same faults as my 172 had, but more than enough good points to make it the only car Id want to own for the money.

The dealers crap, its been on the back of an AA lorry twice in one week, the sterios pants etc.....

but not of that matters Ive done 5K miles over the last 4 months in mine and It makes me smile every time I drive it.

Any regrets.....NO!

Full Fat 182 - Was..

Meets Invader Zims approval!

Just has minor niggles that are easaly sorted and lets you become first name friends with the dealer and techs

Quote: Originally posted by Jason C on 30 September 2004
For the money (~12.5) you cant really fault them. Practicality:Boot is fine for things like pushchairs, but a baby seat in the back really pushes the front seats fwd - and you end up really cramped - luckily thats not done too often. They are tiny carsPaintwork: not so sure about quality - noticed some patces on mine that look like a bird has crapped on it at some point. Performance: On cam its very quick. I actually find myself driving faster on the roads in the 182 than I do / did in my 330 ci or my elise....which is not what I intended! Not through choice, but its very easy, and theres little sense of speed. Dont interpret that as no feedback - theres lots for a FWD car, you just alwys think youre going slower than you really areOff cam Im less impressed - it seems to take an age to get from 3 k to 5 . whatever when the 2nd cam comes in. The cut in should be lower - but that would probably screw motorway cruising (not looked to check though)Gearbox: Pretty poor shifting IMO, but it is improving (only done 900 miles). You cant rush it - it pays to be super smooth. Handling:For an FWD car I am growing to like it more & more - but really need to get it on a training day to really get to grips with what the chassis is doing. At times I can feel it transition from neutral to oversteer and dont want to find out what happens next on the road!Yes its a bit plastick inside, butfor the money its above average Id say. Id recommend one. Driving position:Even with the seat at its lowest youre still a bit high. The pedals are too ofset but you get used to it. ....but despite all that Id recommend one

I couldnt have put it better myself, although I kinda like the driving position.
Plenty of room too, Ive had 5 people in mine in relative comfort particularly with the rear headrests.
Love all the little extras too like climate control, auto wipers and such.
No regrets, but because I chose Black/Gold I have to wahs it more often - good thing really, it means I take more care of it :)