ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any way to repair broken avi files?

Audi S3 225
Hi, when i say broken i mean in vlc player it says 'this file is broken, seeking will not work correctly, do you want to repair it?' but repairing doesn't fix anything and the same error comes up again. The xbox wont read them and in media player it will play some of the file then freeze or quit back to the beginning.

Seems more and more files I obtain from newsgroups are like this and its getting very annoying.

Any quick way to fix them?

Thanks

DMS

A thirsty 172
Try divxrepair.

http://divxrepair.sourceforge.net

Or divfixpp

http://divfixpp.sourceforge.net

If you're downloading them from a Newsgroup, you should download the .par files that are posted along with the content, then use QuickPar against them (as Griff rightly pointed out). The ".par" files are parity data. QuickPar uses them to inspect the downloaded files and find out if any data is missing or corrupt.
Content uploaded to newsgroups has a tendency to become corrupted because of the way files are replicated throughout the global usenet topology (often via UDP to conserve bandwidth - hence no error detection).

Audi S3 225
Hi, Ive been using newsgroups for years now and understand some files need repairing with pars, but the ones in question extracted fine so i dont think thats the problem. I think it may just be the groups who release these avi files, putting out dodgy copies online. Thanks for the links above ill give them a shot and post back

Allan

Audi S3 225
Just had a thought, i only remember getting these problems since i upgraded to the latest newsbin pro which auto extracts the files for you. Before that i dont remember ever having a problem like this!! gonna redownload and try to winrar it myself and see if the problem is still there.

Be right back...

edit - ok I'm an idiot Ive worked out what the problem was...basically newsbin pro once finished downloading all the files will auto shutdown so whilst its auto-shutting down its also auto-extracting the file so if it shuts down before finishing the extraction then the file although it looks ok and the filesize is normal is actually damaged.

Thanks for the help guys

Allan

Last edited: