ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anybody had this prob. on a 16v

Last couple of days starter hasnt always wanted to go, sometimes its fine, but often it clicks or does nothing at all. Anybody had this problem, is a new starter going to be required or is it a wiring fault. Also did I read on here that it is a problem stemming from not having the heatshield at back of engine bay. Think couple of other members are having this. Given that its probably a common fault, anybody care to shed some light on it, thanks.

Hill Parker

Suzuki SV1000S

what year is your 16v. I have the same problems on a 2001 16v, Took it to renault many times but they couldnt fix it. In the it went away. But there is a little connector on top of the rocker cover if you disconnect it for about 30seconds and then connect it again it will start, trust. Obviously this this is only if your car is a similar age

Yeah after a hard day at work theres nothing like taking it out on the hapless cliosport members!

Only jokin guys!

alex m

if u aint got a new battery try that first. lot cheaper than a new starter or a dodgy alternator.

i had the same problem

wongy

You can check if it is the imobilliser or some starter device by push starting it. If it starts on the roll or even trys to turn over then it aint the immobilliser. If it aint anything then it could be anything:sick:

Well after a weekends investigation, I reckon it was a corroded spade conector to starter. Took the downpipe off to have a look see, not a lot of space, to get it out you have to undo gearbox dogbone mount, so as to swing engine and give you space to retract downpipe, total bugger to do. Anyway once that was done, there is a wee heat shield over starter held on by three 13mm bolts, with this off I could see starter connection and the small spade looked rusted, cleaned it with sand paper and then reassembled whole lot. Car has been fine since, fingers crossed, but getting the manifold to downpipe to seal took four attempts. The springs used on the studs are unbelievable strong and its really, really bloody difficult to get both nuts on with the springs. First two times it was blowing when reassembled, I never replaced the cone so I guess I only have myself to blame. However third attempt with a bit of exhaust paste and it seems to be cool, although it aint faced a thrash yet. Starter hasnt played up since, so good chance I sorted it, time will tell. Dont recommend ever taking downpipe off unless you can really avoid it.