ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone competing in Wethersfield Targa?

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi, I am competing in the Wethersfield Targa rally this weekend, and noticed the entry list has a couple of clios.
Are the entries anyone from here?

Clio 172
I'm at car 6 in my Rover, the first of the 1400cc cars. I think my results at rougher/loser venues (Debden) have pushed me up the running order, Wethersfield is more of a power venue. You're at 39?

My 172 will be having some exercise tomorrow at Castle Combe in the first ever round of the Bristol Motor Club Clio Cup.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Yeah, I'm car 39. Never been to Wethersfield before, so looking forward to it. Glad to hear it's a power venue, the clio should do quite well with luck. How is it for bumps?
Nice, I got an invite for the BMCCC at an autosolo a while back, but couldn't commit to it unfortunately.
See you there!

Clio 172
Wethersfield will suit the Clio very well. It's relatively smooth. The surface varies from clean tarmac to some broken concrete with mud/gravel on top. Many people take out standard road cars. There's the odd tight bit and some buildings/posts to hit, but they'll be cautioned.

There's one test which goes round buildings where there are chicanes - the quickest line is cutting on the grass but it can be a little bumpy and slippery at first, especially if it gets damp. no problem in the Rover with it's huge, heavy sump guard! There's also the odd kerb there.

I don't know whether you've done a Targa before, your navigator will have to work! Cones sometimes aren't where you expect them to be from the test diagram, I've spent too much time sitting on the airfield trying to see where the next cone is. It's far better to double enter - drive and then navigate, or ideally the other way round. Navigating first is a HUGE advantage when it comes to your turn to drive.

Then sort out how the navigator calls the cones. We keep it simple - which side of cone then angle of depart. Keep it simple. You may need to add more, such as a 360, but keep the verbage to a minimum. But you probably know all that already.

You'll enjoy it, the tests normally flow very well there and are a logical set up. Come over and have a chat - purple Rover 214. My navigator is currently on the reserve list (he forgot to pay his entry!), hopefully he'll get a run. If I'm not in my Rover I'll be in his blue MG ZR.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Brilliant, yeah thanks for the advice! I'll come and see you some point in the day as well. Unfortunately my nav cant drive, so no chance of sending him out first...
Cheers.