ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone else on virginmedia 20meg BB ??

you getting decent speeds?

just upgraded from 2meg to 20meg, and its slow as hell. phoned up tech support and did speedtests while on the phone and having an engineer come out on tuesday...

but checked on soem other forums related to digital services etc and it seems a nationwide problem?

theyve upgraded to 20meg yet the network cant handle it.
seems to be lots of people getting 5meg connections and slower :(

allthough there have been a few people posting saying they get the full 20meg all the time. so hopefully i'll soon be in that minority!

Clio 172mk2
well blueyonder was the ones that tested it n they was happy with it . what are u trying to download using the full speed , because alot of servers wont allot you to have say 2000ksec off them , if you try blueyonders news groups guesing itll be virgin ones now, but the old ones allowed me to use full 10mb without n e problem

also there was reports a while back saying the motorola surfboard modems without the power button cant handle the 20meg connection

biojo, i had a surfboard 4100 and it had a power button but they sent me an ntl 250 modem that CAN handle it.. its worse now !

ive tested the speed off windows.com server, which ntl tech support say can download at the full20mbit

and also from the bluyondergame files demos which are on virginmedia server, tried downloading multiple big files and add them up, total comes up to around 900KBps, i.e. approx 7mbit.....?

there has been reports of people that we're delighted with blueyonder and had no problems, but now the virgin media merge are very dissapointed in the service.

Polo + Micra
mine is about 12-18Mbit most of the time(probably depends on what and where i'm downloading from)

my 10Mbit connection was a solid 10 all the time

i'm using a ntl 100 modem that is supposed to be able to take 20Mbit

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
The network can easily handle it, but like everything there are slight teething problems that are being fixed.

As is the case with everything, you hear the negatives but ery rarely do people come out and shout about the positives.

Virgin are currently trsting 50mb connections with a view to rolling it out in the first quater of next year.

Evo 6, E92 320d
just upgraded to 8meg with virgin, should be online in a few days, hopefully ill see a diffrence, currently on 512kb

andy, like i said,... ''although there have been a few people posting saying they get the full 20meg all the time. so hopefully i'll soon be in that minority!''

today its been so slow and unreliable, however when they switched me to 20meg with the surfboard, i was getting a good 1500KBps download for a couple of days! but then soemtiems it would connect me at 2-4meg, now they given me an ntl250 modem im getting 7meg if im lucky.. grr!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
no idea what i've got, but i just had virginmedia broadband installed, and its fast as hell!

dan, click the microsoft.com link above for media player 11, save it to dekstop or somewhere you can easily find it to delete it from, and see what transfer rate you get :)

Tesla MP3 2021
I got rid of virgin a last week due to very poor service, now with Be on ADSL 2 which is awesome.
Got it running at its peak with fast path and a lower SN margin profile and I am getting nearly the full 24mb with a line 650 meters from the exchange :)

Just dowloading some of the files from that blueyonder page and getting a good 21700 kb/s :)

shindig, your prob on the same server as me i believe (nottingham) as im in grimsby.

adam, thanks for the test thats what i should be getting! grrr
how about if you download that media player 11 from microsoft.com server?

unfortunaately due to my area still being on a s**t copper core system the max sky or anyone else can do is 6meg via adsl..

Tesla MP3 2021
lol it was over to quick downloading media player but it peaked at 25300 kb/s :)

I was unsure whether I wanted to make to change from cable to ADSL but I am glad I did the service from virgin is shocking and compared to Be it just doesnt exist lol.

have to see what happens on tuesday when they send an engineer out anyway. shame cant get a decent ADSL in my area.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
The problem with the 'Be' connection is that a lot of the country cannot and will never be able to get that kind of speed due to the old network. 24mb is probably the limit whereas with Virgin the sky is the limit with fibre optic. Yes there are teethiung problems at the moment and they are working hard to sort it all out.

Once the problems are reported, they will get sorted. Wish I was in a cabled area. Nothing to do with the fact id get 20mb for £3 a month or anything though ;)

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
work for virgin.

Get XL everything for a tenner a month if I was in a cabled area.

Dont work or have anything to do with tech support so cant answer much to do with that I'm afriad!

just started getting 1.5MB/sec from the microsoft.com site now, it did jump up to 3 and 4 but a steady 1+.. grrrr

Polo + Micra
just got 135kB/s from the fist site

and about 1500kB/s from the other site

i've been on 20Mbit since the end of june

There is an issue.

They know about it.

They don't know if or when it will be fixed.

Only affects 20mb users between 18:00 and 01:00

day, mines been s**t ever since friday all the time. mines back down to 100KB/sec downloads..

ironic thing is, i was only getting 10/11mb on the surfboard modem so i asked for a new modem to be sent out.. now im lucky to get 2mb... argh

im with BT - apparently i can get about 6meg download speeds on my line - do i see this? hell no. Although they are quite happy to take the money for 8meg capability without telling me that i will never see this speed.

I get 1meg (111KBPS) all day. every day.

ADSL is a miss mash of promises that cant be reached and customer service that doesnt exist.

Unless we plan on pulling all the lines up from the ground and replacing them with those lines which can actually take the '20meg broadband' that so many companies can offer, then the complaints will just keep rolling in.

2004 1.2 Dynamique
im with BT - apparently i can get about 6meg download speeds on my line - do i see this? hell no. Although they are quite happy to take the money for 8meg capability without telling me that i will never see this speed.

I get 1meg (111KBPS) all day. every day.

ADSL is a miss mash of promises that cant be reached and customer service that doesnt exist.

Unless we plan on pulling all the lines up from the ground and replacing them with those lines which can actually take the '20meg broadband' that so many companies can offer, then the complaints will just keep rolling in.

I agree!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I get speeds of around 1400 KB/sec while downloading large files from VM, higher using newsgroups.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Yes I'm on VM 20mb. 327 KB/sec using that link Guy. 920 KB/s on the newsgroups right now but it's usually over double that speed.

EDIT:

The speed is fluctuating significantly today, the newsgroup download has now reached 2mb/s

Last edited:
The problem with the 'Be' connection is that a lot of the country cannot and will never be able to get that kind of speed due to the old network. 24mb is probably the limit whereas with Virgin the sky is the limit with fibre optic. Yes there are teethiung problems at the moment and they are working hard to sort it all out.

Once the problems are reported, they will get sorted. Wish I was in a cabled area. Nothing to do with the fact id get 20mb for £3 a month or anything though ;)

bt are rolling out their next generation network now so its not like we will never see these speeds