ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone fitted an LSD

Has anyone on here fitted an LSD to their clio 182, I am looking into doing it when I change my clutch. Just after some general info really, price and what you think of it?

Cheers

Steve

2005 Nissan Navara
Gripper is probably best value for money--£750 +vat inc fitting of OE crown wheel.
Or they do a couple of bolt ons in various ratios for an additional £450 + vat

Yes otherwise I wouldnt be asking. My mate did it to his saxo track car and it is awsome, the power he can get down on the exit of a corner is amazing, no spinning of the inside wheel, just power down.

2005 Nissan Navara
http://www.racecar.co.uk/gripper/

I would say send your box to me and I'll get a firm local to me im using for another customers build to build yours, but im currently off work due to a motorbike accident.

I can however get their number tommorow. They are based in S.Wales, nowt a courier wouldnt be able to help with though!

So if I sent you a box how much am I looking at for a gripper? I'm thinking about doing it at around christmas time as I get a good bonus. Is it worth getting the box refurbed while its out or are the boxes on these clios solid?

2005 Nissan Navara
well as said, im off work due to a bike accident, so not at work to take calls.

You can leave a voicemail and I'll pick it up in a few days, or best bet is to email me and I can reply within a few hours.

Plate diffs are too harsh for road use, can make a racket in low speed turns and need regular maintenance when compared to something like a torque sensing quaife diff.

2005 Nissan Navara
Not too harsh really.
They can be a bit noisey, but not something overly annoying, especially when you are considering the use of the vehicle. The grippers are pretty quiet...Sadevs are a bit noiser I find.

They also dont need regular maintenance. Plates on race cars I work with are changed in the order of years,....not regular put it that way.

As for the Quaiffe ATB, have you driven a clio with one fitted?
I have, couldnt tell difference from std at all. In fact, if I wasnt told it was there, I would have thought it was std.

For a road car and occasional track I'd say quaife is a better choice and they're maintenance free. The Megane uses a quaife type LSD and seems to work very well.

2005 Nissan Navara
Based on experience of both, I disagree.

Maintenance Im mentioning is on full race cars. I know of users with Gripper on road cars who have had them fitted for like 5/6 years with the gearbox not coming off once!

Oh dear, I have started something now haven't I.

But keep going boys, when I buy one I want it to be the right one!

How much would I be looking at for a shagged box to send to you to have rebuilt. It would be easier that way so I dont have to take my car off the road.

ZX6R B1H
I vote the gripper, being a novaboy they are used on a lot of my mates track toys, absolulty awesome things, work really well and they are easy enough to rebuild. But seeing as your paying for somebody to fit it... Im guessing that may be out the window.

Do some research on how a quaife works, and how the gripper works and make your own mind up on the differences between the two.

but i vote the gripper, tried, tested and driven but i cannot comment on the quaife as i have never driven one. The grippers do take a little bit of getting used to :D

If you don't mind the banging and/or chirping that a plate diff makes at low speed and though maintenance interval is 5/6 years ie. not maintenance fee. then go for the gripper diff. K-Tec racing do quaife atb diff :
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1792

I considered it but for me it's too cost prohibitive to make it a worthwhile gain IMO.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Stava i have a box with a shagged diff if you want it? PM me.

2005 Nissan Navara
But the gain is in the actual functioning of the unit. Thats WHY a user would be buying it.

I'll put it another way...in my experience of both type diffs, the LACK of function from the ATB unit makes it completely cost prohibitive...ie. even if you had to strip a plate lsd every 2/3 years to check/adjust the clutch pack, thats FAR more economical in terms of performance gained versus £costs£.

I cant stress enough how much like a standard transmission they feel (ATB).

I guess it comes down to how serious you are, but imo if your considering an lsd of some shape, may aswell fit the one which works considerably better.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Stan does the Diff totally replace the OEM unit. Even the casing? Drive shaft mounts etc.

2005 Nissan Navara
Its a complete seperate diff unit. Std shaft mounts.

They need the OE diff sending to them so they can interference fit the CW, unless you spend an extra £450 for bolt on CW&P.
If its a competition car, i would defo go for bolt on CW with reduced ratio, £450 is a bargain when you consider Avanti/ZF is £750.

ZX6R B1H
Stan, same thing but have you ever used a kaaz plate diff? I know they dont make them for the clios or Ren at all. Just wondering if the quality was better worse etc

2005 Nissan Navara
A customer of mines' bro-in-law has one in a 205 sprint car. Ive not driven it, but its apparently very good.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Its a complete seperate diff unit. Std shaft mounts.

They need the OE diff sending to them so they can interference fit the CW, unless you spend an extra £450 for bolt on CW&P.
If its a competition car, i would defo go for bolt on CW with reduced ratio, £450 is a bargain when you consider Avanti/ZF is £750.

Ah then my box might be of no use to him as bits of my diff exited through the diff casing lol

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

30012009237.jpg

lol

RS RIP
is this do-able for a road car (gripper) or is it really just for track ? I find the loss of grip becoming more iritating every time when thrashing about

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I drove a 172 with a Quaife, It felt like standard, you knew it was they but feck paying 1k with fitting for that!

My Avanti plate diff was 10000000X better than the ATB one! Pulled like mad out of the bends and you could feel it working all the time! Miss it :(

Damn straight you should.....it freaking rocks!

ATB's are pants, dont waste your time as stan said already.

If your going LSD...for a FWD that needs to be used in the twisies (not drag) then an aggressive plate diff setup makes a world of diff.

Hope your ok stan.......falling off 2 wheeled vehicles really screws up the work schedules!

340i
I drove a 172 with a Quaife, It felt like standard, you knew it was they but feck paying 1k with fitting for that!

My Avanti plate diff was 10000000X better than the ATB one! Pulled like mad out of the bends and you could feel it working all the time! Miss it :(

That was nuts.. It actually felt like the car was "on rails" through the bends, you could put the power down so well!!

And the noise of the box was something else :evil:

RS RIP
With all power on ONE of the driveshafts, when leaning over + lifting 1 wheel in hard curves, will the torque passing through just one of the shafts be okay for the driveshafts / box ?

Or does this mean they will eventually break/wear sooner ?