ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone fitted an LSD

2005 Nissan Navara
With all power on ONE of the driveshafts, when leaning over + lifting 1 wheel in hard curves, will the torque passing through just one of the shafts be okay for the driveshafts / box ?

Or does this mean they will eventually break/wear sooner ?

No, its just the same as a std/open diff.

But the gain is in the actual functioning of the unit. Thats WHY a user would be buying it.

I'll put it another way...in my experience of both type diffs, the LACK of function from the ATB unit makes it completely cost prohibitive...ie. even if you had to strip a plate lsd every 2/3 years to check/adjust the clutch pack, thats FAR more economical in terms of performance gained versus £costs£.

I cant stress enough how much like a standard transmission they feel (ATB).

I guess it comes down to how serious you are, but imo if your considering an lsd of some shape, may aswell fit the one which works considerably better.

Well, I still stand by that for an every day road car Quaife is better IMO. I have driven a 211bhp Glanza turbo with a plate diff and it was noisy at low speed and there was constant tugging of the wheel when ever it went over a rough road or camber or hit a bump in the road. Yes you could feel it working and torque steering, but it was constant, tiring and relentless, especially on a long journey. Needless to say the Glanza owner changed to ATB helical diff and drove much better almost like normal and you still feel it working but only when really pushing it. If you want to your car to feel like a touring car all the time then by all means go for a plate/clutch type diff.

For the Clio I don't think its necessary since it doesn't spin up the inside all that often unless you're brutal with the throttle and on a wet road you shouldn't be driving that fast anyways. If the Clio's been tuned, say pusing over 200bhp, then it'll help control the power and may be worthwhile if you do a lot of track days. For me, and I guess for a lot of others since it's not a modification that's widely carried out by people, its not worth the cost, especially since the Clio is pretty well setup and handles the power adequately. IMO.

I see your point pal but this weekend I did a track day with my mate Dan who has a stripped saxo, with an LSD. I couldn't hang on to the back of him, he could get the power down so early in the corner and with no worries at all.

I'm not trying to be funny but I guess its not a mod done to clios very often is because its not H&R coilovers and silvervision lights. I think an LSD is a great mod for when doing trackdays, and as I will be doing more and more, I think Its a well worthwhile mod. IMO

I do see what you say about the Quaife though, Dan as the Quaife fitted to his saxo and loves it. I'll jusrt have to have a think and decide.

Cheers

my cars not a clio but its a track car and i have a quaife and its brilliant, to say its no gain over standard is total rubbish, its in a different street and comes with lifetime guarantee and is silent. Drive is as o.e until you start to press on then it comes alive, the harder you push the more it gives you back.

Dont listen to people who are selling lsd's, they will be biased to which ever one theyre selling, do your own research and make your own mind up.

Dave

2005 Nissan Navara
I dont sell LSD's :)

And from my experience of driving a tarmac rally 172 with a Quiaffe ATB, it was much like std. There was no turn in gain mid corner under throttle, there was heavy understeer off and on throttle during entry, there was wheelspin on accln...

A plate LSD is worlds apart. FACT.

Stava, if you're going to do a lot of track days, and you feel its worthwhile, then go for it. I'm not trying to talk anyone out from doing it. I did consider it, especially after the drive of my friends Glanza, but as I don't do a lot of track days (hope to do a few this summer) I can't justify the cost.

Cheers JonC and cheers again Stan*, I think I'm going to have to do a little research, maybe find someone who has had one fitted to their clio.

Cheers for your input guys, really helped.

i have a gripper fitted on a road car..its not noisy but its worlds apart from a standard diff. loads of grip etc great turn in..
well worth doing..i am running around 250bhp though..at the moment till its mapped properly..anyway just my opinion..
plus i went gripper as it was recommended by bernie at cps..this guy builds some of europes top gearbox's and has more experiance than anyone i know in this field.
just a thought..ring and ask his advice.

When running my punto, around 220 bhp, i thought about an LSD, but it was around £1000. Was alot of money for me for such a little thing. So i spent it on more engine mods, and just learnt to feed the power better.

Clio Williams
There's been a Gripper LSD fitted to my Williams for about 7 years and hasn't needed a rebuild so far and I have used it as an everyday car. I change the gear oil every 2 years but that's all the maintenance I have done! It is noisy and can be a bit clonky at low speed, but the benefits to the handling and traction far outweight the negatives imo

172 gravel rally
I fitted a Gripper to my gravel rally 172 a few months ago, it has transformed the car totally for the better. I must admit it is a bit snatchy when driven at road pace and you have to constantly correct turning arcs depending on load. It doesn't make that much noise only really when the car cruises you can hear the plates rattling, but then again my car makes a hell of a noise in the cabin anyway.

Be aware theough that the LHS driveshaft will need to be shortened by around 13-15mm so that needs to be added to your costs.

Clio Williams
never really heard mine as yet but i do have a scuttle induction kit..:eek:

Yep mine can sound like a bag of bolts at times, and a bit whiney too, always been like this, it's never failed though.....touch wood. Did you lose your speedo mate, I have to use an SPA speedo with mine, but I think it's the older design...

Great thread, keep it coming
Anyone who says the clio doesnt need a lsd then id advise driving a dc2 or racing puma.
the feeling you get when mashin the pedal mid corner is great.
Whether you actually need your car to do that is debatable

They both run helical diffs, so same idea as the ATB.....which is certainly better than a stock open diff....but seriously, get into a car with a properly setup plate diff and you'll see why nobody wins races with helical diffs.

ATB's in my experience understeed like hell and dont work well with load transfers and traction loss.