ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone for Optimax

What are your views on Optimax?

Cup has done 7500 and been thinking about giving it the 98ron that it requires. Super seems to be going down a treat tho.

Views?

Lee

BMW M2C

Some people seem to think it does, others dont. Ive never put anything other than Optimax in my Clio. At the very least the detergents in it wont do any harm. Theyll just keep my engine a little cleaner.

Renault recommend 98 ron fuel in the 172/Cup so I dont see why you would want to use anything less. Unless its a cost issue.

A few people on here have commented on how good BP Super unleaded is, but Ive never tried it myself.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I use it all the time, only 2 times I have put super in is when I was running to low and couldnt make it to an optimax garage.

172 Cup

Im sure someone asked about Optimax before!?!?

Edit: I was being sarcy (sp), just incase you thought i was mad.

I always use it. Seems to make the car run better and it also seems to allow it pick up more smoothly.

Having tried Tescos bargain fuel the difference is marked. IMHO.

Renault Laguna Coupe

It says 98 RON in the handbook and on the inside of the filler flap. Optimax is 98 RON. What more do you need to know? Its handy to be able to put regular unleaded in when youve no alternative though.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Optimax is really designed for Higher Compression engines or Turbo engines as its more resistant to detonation.

The higher the compression in your engine the more likely the fuel will explode before the spark plug ignites it (detonation) thus causing a power degradation thats why alot of people who drive scoobies and the like only use 98+ ron fuel.

I dont think you will gain much if anything by running optimax but they say they add detergents which may of may not help keep the engine clean but I have yet to see this proved.

Now if you have a turbo lump like in Nick Reads case you would be stupid to run anything less than optimax as you would get less power due to detonation.

Ivan

Renault recommends 98RON personally i use nothing but Optimax in my car, i have tried running it on Super plus unleaded.

I PERSONALLY prefer to put Optimax in my car, i think that my cars goes better using this fuel, im not saying i get a performance increase that is really noticable but my car does seem to like it better.

But each to there own.

Try them both and see how you get on. Then make you own mind up :)

my mk1 172 idles a lot smoother,picks up better and seems according to the trip comp to do about 2-3 mpg more a month on average,making up for the price difference.

saw a test in top gear mag using some super mini,civic type r and jag xjr,showed internal pics of engines before and after a month on optimax,valves turned from black to like new,also did performance testing and it did make a slight difference to all 3 cars all through the gears,, maybe around 0.5-1 sec to 100 nothing probably noticeable to mere mortals.

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 10 July 2003

Renault recommend 98 ron fuel in the 172/Cup so I dont see why you would want to use anything less. Unless its a cost issue.
Except when it actually feels slower on Optimax than on 97 RON, which is what I get every time I put the wretched stuff in!! But, like everyone says, its a personal thing - Im sure it works for a lot of people, but I steer well clear. BP or Total 97 every time for me :D Shame we arent in France where practically every main station seems to have 99 RON

Mk2 172

Waste of money. Tried it for 500 miles (2 weeks). MPG went down from 33 to 31, seemed slower to 100, and cost 7p a litre more. Went back to 95ron.

ive not seen anything in it either. When this tank full of Safeways finest has gone ill try the BP super but i wont hold my breath for any major change.

I personally think theres a differemce especially in my last car (BMW M roadster). What is my reasoning? Well with super in, 0-125 was really fast but with optimax it was like Sh*t your pants fast! As with alot of driving experiences it became normal after a couple of weeks. But damn good fun!

Im on my first full tank of optimax in my sax at the mo.

Performance (If that word can be used in the same sentance as a VTR!) is bugger all different, it seems to have slightly better throttle response but that might just be me.

However Ive used a tiny bit over half a tank and if done 260 miles! I normally get 200-215! Result!

Dont they sponsor the F1 team?

If so there gonna aint they.

I think I read somewhere that Ferrari not only recommend it but also hepled in the development of the stuff!

I get approx. 3mpg better out of Optimax and the car sounds beefier too. (anything from 34mpg worst to 39mpg best on MWay- even 45mpg taking it steady on a B road at 50-60mph)

I do not consider that you will get the same performance with 95 Ron as this ignites at a lower temperature to 98 Ron and hence will not give as much power.(3.1% more)

3 mpg more with optimax on a cup!

Result, thatll cancel out the extra fuel used buy the climate control!

Cmon reno deliver my f**king cup now!

Ive been using Optimax in my 16v for the past few months or so now. The only distinguishable benefit is in terms of fuel economy. I used to get about 300 miles max to a tank. Now I get around 330!